Why is Olsen struggling so much?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

cowen never scored on his net nor drived forwards into his goalie

if the coach from last year was here Olsen wouldnt be getting any ice since game 2

You're right, he was too busy getting skated around. Are you kidding me? The guy was so bad he pretty much didn't see the ice at all late in the tournament. They were playing with 5 d and a forward.

Willie Desjardins is a terrible coach. This is a guy that ran a powerplay with one guy manning the point. If Cameron was coaching Cowen wouldn't have even made the team. Come on you must be joking if you think Olsens been that bad. Olsen made the team because of injuries. Cowen made the team because of a terrible personnel decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

flames123

Oct 21, 2009
Kelowna
Cause he's from calgary.

Real funny.

It's one game, he's been fine every other game.

It's not just one game. I have been complaining about him since the first game. He obviously has some issues going on because he can't do anything tight. He can't handle the puck, can't hold the line, can't play physical, can't skate well... basically can't play hockey at this high level.

Something's up. Who know's? Not us.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I scouted DO in Camrose....saw him live approx. 40-50 times.
He is a good player worthy of where he was drafted.

Re this WJC....he is playing injured and usually on the off side.
Don't know if this was discussed here....he just signed with Chicago and will report to the A immediately after the WJC.

Bure_is_God

Oct 4, 2006
I'm watching the Canada-Sweden game and had to come on here to see what people are saying about Olsen's play. After seeing him score on his own net, nail Swedish players into Roy numerous times (as though he's trying to take Roy out), and a host of other poor plays... I can't help but wonder if he's being paid off to try and take Canada out of the tourney. :sarcasm:

I know this is a bit of a ridiculous statement but he's been making all sorts of questionable plays throughout the tourney that don't seem to fit his first round selection status.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
You're right, he was too busy getting skated around. Are you kidding me? The guy was so bad he pretty much didn't see the ice at all late in the tournament. They were playing with 5 d and a forward.
Which makes one wonder: why is Olsen still getting lots of ice time? The coaching staff last year clearly didn't have much trust in Cowan and sat his rear end down for most of the tournament. Olsen has made numerous mistakes and is still getting key ice time with Ellis. Maybe Cameron is more forgiving than Desjardins but Olsen is looking excessively bad out there, and especially with the medal round coming up you wonder how many chances he has left to redeem himself.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
I don't know the story, and it will come out, but what a pos for leaving Duluth early. You don't do that. I am a Chicago fan, but I hope he fails. Same way I feel about Okposo.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Which makes one wonder: why is Olsen still getting lots of ice time? The coaching staff last year clearly didn't have much trust in Cowan and sat his rear end down for most of the tournament. Olsen has made numerous mistakes and is still getting key ice time with Ellis. Maybe Cameron is more forgiving than Desjardins but Olsen is looking excessively bad out there, and especially with the medal round coming up you wonder how many chances he has left to redeem himself.

Well how many defenseman did we bring? We don't have Brandon MacMillan. I think you have to let Olsen play himself out of it. He's at least physically capable unlike Cowen last year who was fighting it with his knee.
I don't know the story, and it will come out, but what a pos for leaving Duluth early. You don't do that. I am a Chicago fan, but I hope he fails. Same way I feel about Okposo.
Haha what did you want him to do stay there 4 years? He did what he thought was best for his career, pretty ridiculous that you'd want him to fail for that.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Cause he's playing with Ellis......seriously is there a guy on team Canada that is any more overated than Ellis?

No, but if your going to blame Ellis for Olsens struggles your wrong. You cant balme Ellis for Olsen falling during play, for hitting the puck in his own net

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
What boggles my mind is Chicago signing him to an NHL Entry-Level Contract, in which he will report to the Rockford Ice Hogs of the AHL effective immediately following this tournament...

Chicago, what the ******* are you thinking?

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Well how many defenseman did we bring? We don't have Brandon MacMillan. I think you have to let Olsen play himself out of it. He's at least physically capable unlike Cowen last year who was fighting it with his knee.Haha what did you want him to do stay there 4 years? He did what he thought was best for his career, pretty ridiculous that you'd want him to fail for that.[/QUOTE]

No, the reason I want him to fail is he already decided like only 3-4 months ago that going to Duluth was best for him. Now he changes his mind and screws his team over. NCAA teams hold players back in juniors or the USHL to make room for guys like Olsen, and then he decides to bail. If he thought that going to the A would be his best option, he should have decided that before going to Duluth.

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
What boggles my mind is Chicago signing him to an NHL Entry-Level Contract, in which he will report to the Rockford Ice Hogs of the AHL effective immediately following this tournament...

Is it possible he didn't make grades? If he didn't, he can't play, and if he can't play he's losing development time. Chicago wouldn't really have a choice but to bring him out and keep him playing. This isn't even speculation, it's just a thought as to what the ******* Chicago might have been thinking.

I agree with the poster that it's a BS move to sign in the middle of the year. It's not even like his team was doing poorly, they're good, a lot better than they've been in recent memory. You always hear players talking about their team being a family, who walks out on their family in the middle of a big event (season)? The problem is, there are scholarship issues, players can't just be called up like in Jrs. This is also why it's best if players declare their intentions at the very end of the season. That allows the program to ensure it's got the necessary bodies lined up for the following year.

But like I said, this isn't even speculation, I've got no idea what kind of a student he is or anything about him personally.

Cheers,

G

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
Well how many defenseman did we bring? We don't have Brandon MacMillan. I think you have to let Olsen play himself out of it. He's at least physically capable unlike Cowen last year who was fighting it with his knee.

Why are you so quick to knock on '10 Cowan but defend Olsen? Cowan was mediocre last year, Olsen is downright atrocious this year. Cowan sat out, yet Olsen is still playing? The coaching staff knew about Cowan's knee situation long before the summer eval camp even started, if they felt he was 'physically uncapable to play himself out of it' they wouldn't have put him on the team.

Last year, Cowan had three pretty bad first games in the tournament against Latvia and Switzerland, and he effectively became the 7th defenseman against Slovakia and in the medal round. Olsen has been obviously bad in all round robin games and has made way more mistakes than Cowan during that time. Just because Canada doesn't have a forward that can play defense, are they just suppose to give a struggling Olsen ice time?

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Seriously!

When James Duthie announced it during the 2nd intermission, I was expecting to here "Dylan Olsen has been cut by Team Canada minutes ago". Not he has been rewarded with a pro contract.

Then Cameron has him on during the last minute of regulation, where he promptly gave away the puck leading to a Swedish scoring chance. It's like a Twilight Zone episode.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Why are you so quick to knock on '10 Cowan but defend Olsen? Cowan was mediocre last year, Olsen is downright atrocious this year. Cowan sat out, yet Olsen is still playing? The coaching staff knew about Cowan's knee situation long before the summer eval camp even started, if they felt he was 'physically uncapable to play himself out of it' they wouldn't have put him on the team.

Last year, Cowan had three pretty bad first games in the tournament against Latvia and Switzerland, and he effectively became the 7th defenseman against Slovakia and in the medal round. Olsen has been obviously bad in all round robin games and has made way more mistakes than Cowan during that time. Just because Canada doesn't have a forward that can play defense, are they just suppose to give a struggling Olsen ice time?
I thought Cowen was absolutely brutal. Way worse. That's the difference. He couldn't skate. Couldn't handle the puck couldn't do anything. They took Cowen over Brandon Gormley. It was an absolutely brutal personnel decision and everybody knew it. He wasn't physically capable of playing himself out of it it was quite obvious. Again, Willie Desjardins did an absolutely horrible job last year.

And before you mention Gormleys not here this year you should know he pulled himself out because of a knee injury.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

He wouldn't have been academically eligible. He's a kid who doesn't like the college part of college hockey.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
I thought Cowen was absolutely brutal. Way worse. That's the difference. He couldn't skate. Couldn't handle the puck couldn't do anything. They took Cowen over Brandon Gormley. It was an absolutely brutal personnel decision and everybody knew it. He wasn't physically capable of playing himself out of it it was quite obvious. Again, Willie Desjardins did an absolutely horrible job last year.

And before you mention Gormleys not here this year you should know he pulled himself out because of a knee injury.
The only thing Olsen is doing better than '10 Cowan is skating. He's giving pucks away, being too light on the boards and even scoring on his own net (pretty sure Cowan never did that).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

sorry but scoring on your own net and injuring your own goalie is worse than anything Cowen did last year

last tiem i check players are also blowing by Olsen as he falls over.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

The only thing Olsen is doing better than '10 Cowan is skating. He's giving pucks away, being too light on the boards and even scoring on his own net (pretty sure Cowan never did that).

Isn't that what I'm saying? The guy could not skate. He was not physically able to keep up. He never should have made the team and it was a joke that he did.

Olsen has been bad but at least he's able to compete out there limit his minutes and he'll be fine. Cowen last year was free goals. It was like playing a man down with him. He's better this year though theres no question so don't think I'm bashing the guy. He's been a nice minute eating dman. The difference with Olsen was that there was no other option this year. Injuries were a big factor.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
Isn't that what I'm saying? The guy could not skate. He was not physically able to keep up. He never should have made the team and it was a joke that he did.
. Cowen last year was free goals. It was like playing a man down with him. He's better this year though theres no question so don't think I'm bashing the guy. He's been a nice minute eating dman.
So even if Olsen can skate AND is a huge defensive liability, he's still much better than Cowan who couldn't skate and also was a defensive liability? Despite Olsen's speed, he somehow still isn't able to compete (and you really can't argue this point, there were countless scoring opportunities against Canada that were masterfully crafted by Olsen's defensive blunders).

Olsen has been bad but at least he's able to compete out there limit his minutes and he'll be fine
I think that's what everyone is arguing for. Kinda similar to Cowan last year, no?

The difference with Olsen was that there was no other option this year. Injuries were a big factor
Schwartz and Kassian were missing from the forward lineup but they still seemed to make it work on offense. Canada has 7 blueliners, make Olsen the 7th and play the other six regularly.

I think we're basically saying the same thing in different ways: Olsen is struggling (for whatever reason), so Canada should limit his ice time like they did with Cowan last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad