Why is Olsen struggling so much?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
He was horrible again. Why he hasn't been demoted to the seventh defenseman position is just beyond me. Well, I guess de Haan was out today... but he doesn't deserve to be on the top pairing.

Ellis - Barrie
Gudbranson - Despres
Cowen - de Haan
Olsen

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This is my first viewing of Olsen but he just doesnt look that good.

He's got heavy feet
His hands are suspect and doesnt have much threshhold with the puck
His positioning has been brutal

Overall he's been bad every single game and hes basically a blackhole everytime he\s on the ice. I dont mean to be too harsh but he has been just that bad. He should be the #7 D and the less time he plays the better chance we have of winning this tournament.

Pyke*

He's got heavy feet

Overall he's been bad every single game and hes basically a blackhole everytime he\s on the ice. I dont mean to be too harsh but he has been just that bad. He should be the #7 D and the less time he plays the better chance we have of winning this tournament.

I think he's hurt. He was very effective against the Russians...

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I noticed his struggles as well. My question is why is Cowen sitting. I only watched the first and third period, but he seemed to be the guy warming the bench a lot.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think he's hurt. He was very effective against the Russians...

No he wasnt.

He was absolutely brutal against the Russians. He was caughing the puck up all over the ice.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

He's got heavy feet

Agreed.

I could definitely see Gudbranson moving up to take his spot with Ellis, Cowen and Barrie seem to have some chemistry and then put Despres with DeHaan. Thats a rock solid Defence

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Olsen was solid when the tourney started, but he's really regressed since then. It could be nerves or he could be slightly injured.

Then every defenseman on the team has had a bad night thus far, so it could just be this game.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Why are so many saying he was solid against the Russians? He's been bad since the very start of the tournament.

I'm thinking he couldn't have been this bad during the selection camp. He clearly doesn't belong here, but I'm lead to believe his confidence is getting lower by each game he plays, and we all know that once your confidence is gone you become infinitely worse than you really are.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron doesn't give him a shift against the Swedes.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
He's definitely been Canada's worst defenseman, the assessment of his play thus far has been pretty spot on the money.

I'd like to see:

Cowen- Ellis
de Hann- Gudbranson
Despres-Barrie
Olsen

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
reminds me a lot of the criticism of cowen last year. Maybe olsen just isnt ready for this type of tournament yet.

Starrlinx

Sep 11, 2004
Seattle, WA
I don't know why but Canada can't be concerned about hurt feelings or building his confidence back up at this point. His play has been brutal almost the entire tournament. He needs to be demoted to #7 if de Haan is back next game.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
lol, every time I saw Canadians discussing Olsen I wondered why they are talking so much about some Norwegian. Now I realized he's on Team Canada :facepalm::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad