Why is no one talking Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Unfortunately it seems like Marleau kills the offense of whatever line he is on and now it is the kadri line that is doomed.

Reactions: Koolboss

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Outside of the obvious Nylander situation, Kadri has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I understand why his scoring is down. Even though his role hasn't really changed, its importance has. Look at the PP, for example. He plays the exact same role, but last year it was the end point for our two most common plays. Either the high tip or the net front bumper pass. Now the PP works around him. It's all about Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. Kadri is just there.

What I've been disappointed with is his overall game at even strength. Last season he always kept his feet moving which meant that despite his very average skating, he was always involved. He's not this season. And his decision-making in the offensive zone has been dreadful at times, he plays unnecessarily difficult when the reward is pretty low.

Still, it speaks to how well we are situated when our second biggest disappointment is a rather minor one.
As usual, pretty much nailed it.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
You could throw Kadri's unassuming stats on some rosters and he'd be one of their main offensive drivers. Honestly, his reputation has probably started hurt him more then playing on an edge has helped. He had a rough patch in November and since then has only been a minus player three times. Complaining about Kadri's production is like complaining about a late video game release to some starving kid in Africa.

Reactions: robertmac43

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I thought Kadri played alright yesterday, didn’t see the lack of effort mentioned here.

With his contract, the role he plays and the fact that he’s consistently provided so much value above what’s he’s paid I think he’s sort of not talked about too much because there’s not a whole lot to say.

I agree maybe he slumps a little bit and isn’t as fiery as he was in past but he’s still such a value-added situation it’s hard to really slag on him.

If/when he starts really mailing it in or he signs at a much higher price, that’s when he will get a lot of attention.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He is extremely streaky as he has shown his whole career.

He is also one of the most snake-bitten players in the league right now with the amount of posts he has hit which is bound to change for the better even if only slightly.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is extremely streaky as he has shown his whole career.

He is also one of the most snake-bitten players in the league right now with the amount of posts he has hit which is bound to change for the better even if only slightly.

But Kadri always finds himself in these situations where he looks snakebitten and streaky. And then he stops doing the non scoring things that usually helps him being successful.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He didn’t get suspended until the playoffs that year.

When I say he misses him, it goes to the notion that tough teams play confident.

Someone has your back.

I don’t blame Kadri for shying away from rough stuff. Who on this team would come to his aid if needed?

He needs to play engaged though. Pretending to be a skilled superstar just doesn’t work. He’s at his best when gritty and edgy.

He could be looking out for himself financially like you said... or physically just wanting to not get hurt.

Either way it’s a marked change in his game.
He has a history of suspensions as follows:

3 games for a hit to the head on Niklas Bäckström of the Wild in 2013;

4 games for head hit on Matt Fraser of the Oilers in 2015;

4 games for a hit to the head on Luke Glendening of the Wings in 2016;

3 games for a hit to the head on Tommy Wingels of the Bruins in 2018.

So, yeah, he has lost some salary due to the above suspensions. His game has changed because he is afraid to take another hit, in the wallet.

And, there is likely not a single teammate that would come to his aid if he screws up again. To be clear, I don't think any of his teammates have the physicality to engage in fisticuffs to help him if he enrages an opponent. Please let me know otherwise.

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
Easier said than done though, especially when the PP no longer relies on a high tip or rebound with Kadri as the bumper. When Bozak was in Matthews spot last year he generally elected for the pass, whereas Matthews almost always shoots it.

You lost me. Kadri being stationary is why he isn't really an option. The PP goes through Marner. If Kadri moves around a bit he opens the lanes as I said, which allows passes to Matthews or Kadri or JT. If he stays stationary, the high tip IS the only option for using Kadri and allows the PK to stay more stationary as well. You need to get the PK moving, so if Kadri is moving around in the slot, options open up for Marner and the PK has to adjust with Kadri's positioning.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'm not too concerned about his regular season performance, I'm more concerned about whether or not he can ratchet it up in the playoffs without getting suspended or taking a bunch of penalties.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
I don't think he's had the same wingers for longer than a 5 game stretch all season. He's not Crosby, he can't play with anyone and put up the same numbers. Overall his season is still worse than the last 3 I would say, but not by that much.

Reactions: Koolboss

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
He's fine, he's had outages in previous seasons and bounced back, best bit of grit on the team.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
He has a history of suspensions as follows:

3 games for a hit to the head on Niklas Bäckström of the Wild in 2013;

4 games for head hit on Matt Fraser of the Oilers in 2015;

4 games for a hit to the head on Luke Glendening of the Wings in 2016;

3 games for a hit to the head on Tommy Wingels of the Bruins in 2018.

So, yeah, he has lost some salary due to the above suspensions. His game has changed because he is afraid to take another hit, in the wallet.

And, there is likely not a single teammate that would come to his aid if he screws up again.

:laugh::laugh: Keep talking as if you know anything of the inner workings of an NHL squad. You have no idea how his teammates feel towards him and such. You have a nice laundry list of suspensions, two of which are highly questionable. Ultimately meaningless conjecture.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
:laugh::laugh: Keep talking as if you know anything of the inner workings of an NHL squad. You have no idea how his teammates feel towards him and such. You have a nice laundry list of suspensions, two of which are highly questionable. Ultimately meaningless conjecture.
I'll see your :laugh::laugh: and raise you :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Speaking of meaningless conjecture, nice post. ;)

RLF

May 5, 2014
He's still generating strong underlying numbers at 5v5. He will rebound in the second half, bank on it.

It's a little odd actually. This is the same guy (the guy you responded to I mean) who said while Nylander struggled and simply wasn't playing well, but had good underlying numbers, that it is just a matter of time for things to even out and he will produce. But when it's Kadri, a guy who has just as good and even better underlying numbers in some areas...he is disappointed in his play and there is no mention of the strong underlying numbers and balancing out. :skeptic:

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanty

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I like Kadri, but his role has been diminished. Basically just a warm body on the PP and he isnt used as the shutdown guy anymore either.

I really think he should be put on the 2nd pp unit so he can get more touches. Also gives Nylander a legit weapon there. That or he has to do a way better job at getting space so he can receive a pass and do something with it. I mean, teams are cutting off Marner to Tavares and Marner to Matthews, so one would think he would start getting touches, but he hasnt.

I think he needs more of a playmaker to play with 5v5. Kapanen isnt the best playmaker and Marleau doesnt really do anything.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It looks to me like teams are cutting off the cross/slot pass to Matthews and shot/deflection into Kadri, by facing 3 guys at Marner and forcing him to pass off to the side or shoot. I thought Kadri would put up big numbers this year with just being the 3rd line center and not getting the hard matchups and defensive responsibility, he could have a big 2nd half though

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
oh boy another kadri thread with people throwing darts at him

about 2 years ago Kadri had the most threads made about him in the Toronto section in HF. I won't be surprised if he is still the leader

What the hell does one want out of 4.5million AAV player anyway? What is reasonable production for such a player? Is 30 goals for two consecutive season reasonable production or a bargain contract?

What the f*** does a 4.5 million AAV player has to produce for people to say "job well done"?

LOL at the kadri haters and critics.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looking at the profile I would be willing to bet it was from Kadri’s biggest detractor.
Multiple profiles.

22 posts since Sept ...transparent as hell.
I said this in the Marlies thread as well and metioned you could be on to something about users making more then one.
It seems like this stuff happens mostly on Kadri threads.

Reactions: diceman934

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The only issue I have is I think he needs to be on the 2nd PP to get more touches

I would slot him down and move Johnsson up in Kadri's place.

For the 2nd PP unit I would move Nylander to the left wall for a one timer and also making plays; kadri on the right wall to make plays

our 2nd unit looks more dangerous compared to the 1st unit because plays and shots come from both sides compared to the predictive plays on 1st PP unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad