Why is no one talking Kadri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Kadri's PP time is there but look at his role on the PP. He barely touches the puck. He's mainly there to occupy someone from the other team...if they leave him alone, he would get an opportunity in the slot. Kadri had a much bigger role on the PP last year and a lot more touches.

He would put up more points if he was on the 2nd unit.

A lot of not getting touches on the PP is he is too stationary. He needs to move around a bit. Get a little higher or lower to create a lane where he can get the puck. Our middle presence (Kadri) is too stationary and a lot of the reason why we are struggling on the PP. Get Kadri moving a bit and it will open up lanes for him, lanes down low to JT and cross ice to Matthews. He is a key cog on the PP, he just isn't doing anything to make himself available.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thanks for explaining, doesn’t that just show that Kadri and his line isn’t doing a good job at generating offense?
Analyzing the Kapanen-Kadri-Marleau line
CF/60: 66.38(4th highest of all lines that have been used by the team at least 15 games)
CF%: 52.04(4th highest of all lines that have been used by the team at least 15 games)
SH%: 4.4(lowest of all lines used by the team)

OZ%: 31.63(4th lowest of all lines used by the team)
DZS%: 35.71(2nd highest of all lines used by the team)

The line has been fine. They are getting defensive minutes yet still driving play. Low SH% is affecting their numbers which should turn around. They just need some luck more then anything.

Reactions: Leafling

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If only a suspension didn't mean a loss of income, otherwise, I think Kadri would hit more than just goal posts!
The posts thing doesnt work anymore. Kadri simply needs to bury his chances.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Outside of the obvious Nylander situation, Kadri has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I understand why his scoring is down. Even though his role hasn't really changed, its importance has. Look at the PP, for example. He plays the exact same role, but last year it was the end point for our two most common plays. Either the high tip or the net front bumper pass. Now the PP works around him. It's all about Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. Kadri is just there.

What I've been disappointed with is his overall game at even strength. Last season he always kept his feet moving which meant that despite his very average skating, he was always involved. He's not this season. And his decision-making in the offensive zone has been dreadful at times, he plays unnecessarily difficult when the reward is pretty low.

Still, it speaks to how well we are situated when our second biggest disappointment is a rather minor one.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well 2 things we have learned.

1) Kadri is on a downward trend that started last year

2) It wasn’t Leo’s fault.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah but 50 points when scoring is way up isnt very good. Plus he gets to play with all our best players on the powerplay. And he plays with Kapanen, who's been better than Kadri this season
The power play I blame more on the coaching staff for the plays they've drawn up. What is he supposed to do if the puck never goes to him?

Regarding Kapanen, he hasn't played with him consistently. Kadri's wingers have been rotating the most, not giving him a proper chance to develop any chemistry. I had hoped we would see Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen but because of injuries and Nylander holding out it never materialized.

Reactions: stickty111

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Outside of the obvious Nylander situation, Kadri has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I understand why his scoring is down. Even though his role hasn't really changed, its importance has. Look at the PP, for example. He plays the exact same role, but last year it was the end point for our two most common plays. Either the high tip or the net front bumper pass. Now the PP works around him. It's all about Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. Kadri is just there.

What I've been disappointed with is his overall game at even strength. Last season he always kept his feet moving which meant that despite his very average skating, he was always involved. He's not this season. And his decision-making in the offensive zone has been dreadful at times, he plays unnecessarily difficult when the reward is pretty low.

Still, it speaks to how well we are situated when our second biggest disappointment is a rather minor one.
He's still generating strong underlying numbers at 5v5. He will rebound in the second half, bank on it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The power play I blame more on the coaching staff for the plays they've drawn up. What is he supposed to do if the puck never goes to him?

Regarding Kapanen, he hasn't played with him consistently. Kadri's wingers have been rotating the most, not giving him a proper chance to develop any chemistry. I had hoped we would see Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen but because of injuries and Nylander holding out it never materialized.

They need to move Kadri down and let him run the second unit.

Put Nylander and Marner on the wings, Reilly at the back, Matthews in front and Tavares where Kadri currently is and the power play will be unstoppable. They couldn’t give Tavares any space and he’s good at making room with should open up the one timer from Nylander (in Matthews spot) that we can’t get lately with the current lineup.

Downside is whoever is in the Kadri spot will end up with less points.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Lost me at the intro.

Kadri actually has elite NHL skill.

Sparks is borderline NHL caliber backup goalie.

How people react to Sparks should never apply to how people should react towards Kadri.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri plays his best when he's physical. He's more involved and confidemt with the puck like thay. There's no physicality in his game right now.

Some "underlying numbers" to support your view:

SeasonHitsHits/Game
2009-1011.00
2010-11160.55
2011-12251.19
2012-13621.29
2013-141411.81
2014-151181.62
2015-161481.95
2016-171241.51
2017-18941.18
2018-19340.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kadri has an accomplished history in his time with the Leafs. He's now been pushed down the lineup slightly, but he's well insulated with Tavares and a healthy Matthews ahead of him. Sparks might play a lesser role overall in comparison, though obviously not when he's starting. He's still a rookie at the NHL level. Not sure there's an in-house replacement for either at this point.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Kadri asked his new wife in October what she wanted for Christmas. She replied 'bling.' Having thought she said 'ping', he's been hitting the posts on every shot ever since. What a good husband.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If only a suspension didn't mean a loss of income, otherwise, I think Kadri would hit more than just goal posts!

It actually appears that he misses Komarov when it comes to physicality. Started playing with him in 2015-16 on a regular basis.

SeasonHits/Game
2015-161.95
2016-171.51
2017-18 w Leo1.40
2017-18 w Marner0.87
2018-190.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
A lot of not getting touches on the PP is he is too stationary. He needs to move around a bit. Get a little higher or lower to create a lane where he can get the puck. Our middle presence (Kadri) is too stationary and a lot of the reason why we are struggling on the PP. Get Kadri moving a bit and it will open up lanes for him, lanes down low to JT and cross ice to Matthews. He is a key cog on the PP, he just isn't doing anything to make himself available.
Easier said than done though, especially when the PP no longer relies on a high tip or rebound with Kadri as the bumper. When Bozak was in Matthews spot last year he generally elected for the pass, whereas Matthews almost always shoots it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
On Ice SH%: 6.60(last on the team)

Kadri is playing well. He is just getting unlucky. The criticism isnt warranted, as people just want another excuse to go after Kadri and the fans.

2017-18 On Ice SH%: 7:77 ... 3rd last on the team (behind Komarov and Polak) for players with +40 GP
(Bozak was 8.08)

This is new?

In All Situations this year, he is 9.59... definitely not last on the team and above league average because of that powerhouse of a PP line

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It actually appears that he misses Komarov when it comes to physicality. Started playing with him in 2015-16 on a regular basis.

SeasonHits/Game
2015-161.95
2016-171.51
2017-18 w Leo1.40
2017-18 w Marner0.87
2018-190.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I really don't think he misses Komarov. I think he's scared of missing the money he'd lose with another suspension.

JMHO.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I've watched Naz his whole career. I think:

A) His rough playing style has been neutered by the league. He needs to get emotional but is afraid to go over the edge. He has tempered his attitude and it reflects in his lack of reckless abandon on the ice.

B) He is playing mostly defensive minutes and is focused on playing defence while not taking penalties or catching suspensions.

C) He is starting to slow down. People will argue this with me, but I think his body is past it's physical and mental peak. We are witnessing the very beginning of his decline. This does not mean he will not still be an effective player for at least 5 years. But the spring of youth has been tapped, and now it is up to him to adjust. Imagine a parabola or whatever (I'm bad at math), the point of the peak has been eclipsed.

Reactions: Pookie

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I really don't think he misses Komarov. I think he's scared of missing the money he'd lose with another suspension.

JMHO.

He didn’t get suspended until the playoffs that year.

When I say he misses him, it goes to the notion that tough teams play confident.

Someone has your back.

I don’t blame Kadri for shying away from rough stuff. Who on this team would come to his aid if needed?

He needs to play engaged though. Pretending to be a skilled superstar just doesn’t work. He’s at his best when gritty and edgy.

He could be looking out for himself financially like you said... or physically just wanting to not get hurt.

Either way it’s a marked change in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad