Line Combos: Why is Kozun on the 4th Line?

amorak

Oct 12, 2014
I am wondering what everyone thinks - It strikes me as odd, given how well he did on the 2nd line in game #1, why they have him down on the 4th. Really seems like a poor fit, when he did much better on a skill line...

What do you guys/gals think? Shouldn't he be playing 2/3 line minutes with some more skilled line mates?

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I am wondering what everyone thinks - It strikes me as odd, given how well he did on the 2nd line in game #1, why they have him down on the 4th. Really seems like a poor fit, when he did much better on a skill line...

What do you guys/gals think? Shouldn't he be playing 2/3 line minutes with some more skilled line mates?

because lines need balance and purpose

adding Winnik to the top line gives a guy that can get into dirty areas, play more defensively - Winnik isnt useless offensively either - I love seeing him up

and i love the physical/cycling line of komarov - santa - clarkson - clarkie looks great with them

so that really leaves Kozun making sense on the 4th line, the thing is the leafs actually have a real 4th line that can play 8-11 mins a night - I dont see this as a waste for Kozun at all - if anything its a bit of a waste for Holland

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Winnik is working with Kadri and Lupul and Clarkson works with Komarov and Santa. No need to break up what works.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
It's not like the other guys on the 4th line have no skill, and the 3rd line has been the most consistent so far so I would keep them together. I thought he didn't look terrible with Lupul and Kadri, but maybe this will just be a temporary thing? (although Carlyle is still the coach so he might be with the Marlies by the end of the week lol)

ThrilloftheDream

Dec 9, 2009
Mississauga
Because it was too good to be true that the performances he put up in the pre-season and in game 1 could stick. Not to say that it won't come back, but for the time being, I don't think it's a bad thing to have him on the 4th line. Although, I do think it's just a matter of time before he's on the Marlies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Because he shouldn't be getting top 6 minutes?

This guy is a fringe NHLer. Sure he won a spot on the team to start the year. Sure he is a skilled guy, that doesn't mean he should get top 6 minutes. Any other team nobody would bat an eye, but we had a spot open on our top 6 which they tried him out in the first couple games.

In actuality he's lucky to be getting playing time, and should be happy getting 5-10 minutes a game with Holland/Panik. When he starts playing bad again he'll probably be a regular scratch or get demoted.

I couldn't believe my eyes when someone in my 10 team fantasy league drafted Kozun just because he was going to start the year in the top 6. Laughed for about 5 minutes straight.

First game Kozun played on the 4th line, we won, shocker. Wasn't his fault we lost the first 2 games, but we're going to lose a hell of a lot more than we win if we have Kozun in our top 6.

amorak

Oct 12, 2014
Fair points, thanks guys for the insight for a fringe-Leafs fan. Always struck me as odd, having seen him in junior as a huge points guy, to playing such an odd position.

I didn't think top 6, was thinking he's more a top 9 guy (3rd line), but a more balanced ice time where 3rd and 4th see comparable ice time makes sense!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Because he shouldn't be getting top 6 minutes?

This guy is a fringe NHLer. Sure he won a spot on the team to start the year. Sure he is a skilled guy, that doesn't mean he should get top 6 minutes. Any other team nobody would bat an eye, but we had a spot open on our top 6 which they tried him out in the first couple games.

In actuality he's lucky to be getting playing time, and should be happy getting 5-10 minutes a game with Holland/Panik. When he starts playing bad again he'll probably be a regular scratch or get demoted.

I couldn't believe my eyes when someone in my 10 team fantasy league drafted Kozun just because he was going to start the year in the top 6. Laughed for about 5 minutes straight.

First game Kozun played on the 4th line, we won, shocker. Wasn't his fault we lost the first 2 games, but we're going to lose a hell of a lot more than we win if we have Kozun in our top 6.

This.

The simple fact is, Kozun isn't a centre, and he isn't better than Kessel, JvR, or Lupul. JvR & Kessel compliment each other quite well, so those 3 can be concentrated onto 2 lines. Kozun really doesn't compliment Lupul, at all. The Kadri/Lupul combination needs a guy who's going to be solid defensively, and work the puck in the corners -- that's not Kozun's game.

Yeah, he's good defensively, but his real strength is when he gets the puck in open ice.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I like Kozun but I'm not too concerned about him being in the bottom 6. The thing is with this Leafs team, I feel like the third and fourth lines are pretty much interchangeable, both are passable as a third line. So I'd consider Kozun as being on the third line, which is a fine spot for him.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Seems people aren't addressing the question OP asked.

He was buzzing in the opener against Montreal. There was no reason to put him on the fourth line all of a sudden. Winnik is awesome but looks lost playing with skilled players IMO.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
That line with Kozun was actually our second worst possession line against MTL at around 40% FF, only the top line was worse.

But with Winnik the second line has been our best possession line by a long shot. He's just better defensively and a lot stronger along the boards than Kozun, so I'm guessing that's the rationale.

It's still early and these are small sample sizes so I'm sure other players will get a shot on the 2nd line too.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The 2nd line needs a guy Like Winnick to pounds the boards and anchor it defensively . He'd give the 3rd line some offensive punch and I think he'd work well with Santa-Komo but DC's not getting moved down anytime soon.

This leaves him on the 4th line and soon to be back in the A unless something unexpected happens

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Leafs can finally afford to roll 4 lines, several options for line shuffling which is a good problem to have.

Kozun may not land a top 9 spot yet but i don't see him getting sent down either. I think he already outplays Holland who might just end up with the same faith as Colborne if he doesn't pick up his production quick enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad