Why is it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiavsfan

That the NBA can put together a new CBA in about 4.3 seconds...while it took the NHL a whole season to figure out just small things...and now make the fans wait for this supposed "two weeks away" crap?

I guess I do understand that the NBA pretty much had the CBA they wanted, and the NHL had to write an entirely new document...but for goodness sakes, they are putting the NHL to shame right now.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
I guess I do understand that the NBA pretty much had the CBA they wanted, and the NHL had to write an entirely new document...but for goodness sakes, they are putting the NHL to shame right now.

I believe that if the NHL didn't have this long lockout and lose an entire season, the NBA and their PA wouldn't be making the kind of effort they've been making to get a deal done soon. The NHL shocked the sports world by cancelling an entire season and we can only guess at the amount of damage that has been done. I am pissed as hell about losing a season, but if anything positive came out of it for the sports world, then it may be that the NHL and NHLPA's foolishness (yes, I mentioned both sides!) might be used as an example of how not to handle labor negotiations in sports.

That is of little consolation to me, however, since I am not a fan of MLB or the NBA

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NBA isn't trying to put in a new economic system. They're simply making changes to their old one. Either that and/or Bob Goodenow has more testicular fortitude than Billy Hunter.

All that said, the NBA had much less to discuss.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
go kim johnsson said:
The NBA isn't trying to put in a new economic system. They're simply making changes to their old one. Either that and/or Bob Goodenow has more testicular fortitude than Billy Hunter.
So do eunuchs.

Last edited:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
NBA has a lot more money than the NHL. They also already had a version of salary cap in the previous CBA.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Tekneek said:
NBA has a lot more money than the NHL. They also already had a version of salary cap in the previous CBA.

right, there was nothing to sit out over...

they werent going to sit out over a one year decrease in maximum contract length or increasing the minimum eligibility age from 18 to 19.

and the league had to give some concessions in exchange for that, the increase of percentage of revenue to the players.

it was quite simple, nothing the what the NHL had to do, which was invent an entirely new economic system.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
As others have noted, the NBA wasn’t creating a brand new CBA with an entirely different economic landscape. The NHL was.

On a brighter note (gotta look for those) - the next CBA session for the NHL should be relatively easy, just tweaking the numbers.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Not only does the NBA have a working partnership, but also a history of a CBA with cost certainty into it. add to the fact that its 57% of $3 Bill divided up by at least 1/2 as many players as NHL rosters and who is going to complain.

the NHL has a rotten history player/owner relationship one side has pretty much screwed the other when it could, its not easy to hammer out a completly new way of salary structure with that type of past.

Lets see what MLB with a shill commish in their next CBA, thats a better comparison.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
rekrul said:
Lets see what MLB with a shill commish in their next CBA, thats a better comparison.

You wanna talk about labor nightmares. The NHL lockout won't be able to hold the MLB's pencil sharpener.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Yep – I think that one is going to get a whole lot uglier than the NHL negotiation ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad