Why is hockey the only sport not to produce a GOAT-calibre player in the last decade or so?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
For a large portion of the decade you're referencing goals per game floated around 2.75 which is almost an entire goal less than what the average was for the majority of Gretzky's career. While the NHL took steps to get rid of clutch and grab coming out of the lockout it's nothing close to what the other major sports have done to boost offense and "star-power" in the past decade. The NFL has more or less banned touching the QB, made pass interference a 50/50 proposition on most deep passes and the NBA has essentially banned playing defense altogether which has made life far, far easier for guys like Tom Brady, Lebron James and Steph Curry in comparison with those who came before them in their respective sports. The other leagues bend over backwards to ensure their star offensive players put up gaudy numbers, the NHL really just fixed the insanity of the clutch and grab era but never went much further than that in terms of promoting offense.

I know the purists will say the NHL has gone soft just like those other leagues but even just advances in goaltending technique more than makes up for whatever was lost when the league moved away from clutch and grab. Say what you want but the majority of NHL goaltenders in the mid-80's looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing in comparison to an average NHL starter today.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Because the coaching and equipment in hockey have changed dramatically while they haven’t in other sports? And because teams now roll four lines, have dedicated shutdown matchups, etc? Guys like McDavid and Crosby are probably just about as good as anyone ever has been but no one is ever going to score 200 points ever again and that’s not because of the talent, it’s because of the evolution of the sport. Look at the goaltending position. Look at collapsing, shot blocking defenses. Look at the quality and importance of good depth players vs 30 years ago. If the only way we have of measuring a players greatness is their statistical accolades, then there will never be a GOAT player again. The game has changed.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Having more than one “GOAT” is the exact opposite of the meaning aka an oxymoron. There can only be one and The Great One was perhaps too great. McDavid has the possibility to threaten statisticly but it’s painfully obvious he will struggle to win cups.

Injuries have and will play a roll in this argument: Lemieux and Crosby are good examples.

Reactions: powerstuck and Phu

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Gretzky was a hell of a player, other sports haven't really had anything like him, in comparison to his peers. It doesn't look like McDavid is that either, so it remains to be seen when the next prospect with such potential emerges. Seems like it'll take a good while until then.

Reactions: Plub and DaveG

Tuffy gosewich

Aug 21, 2019
LeBron and trout aren't GOAT'S, unless you're talking about Barry Bonds. Brady is questionable as GOAT.

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
Gretzky, Gretzky, blah, blah, blah...

1969-Bobby-Orr-006272742.jpg

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The over all level of skill in the NHL is the hightest its ever been. That means its much harder to dominate a league. When you had litteral boxers on ice and goalies who barely moved with tiny pads on their legs and a basebal mit, the game was a bit easier to dominate.

I still think Gretzky would be the GOAT if he played now, but it isnt a level playing field.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
I would agree with the whole media hype argument to a point, especially if you consider that individual hockey players aren’t as marketable as in Basketball and football, because of their relative game time exposure compared to stars in other sports. It’s along the same lines of talented young players. In hockey it takes an exceptionally great player to be labeled generational talent and in hockey that Tag ist applied often, McDavid and Crosby coming to mind as recentish eyamples. Tavares, Eichel and Matthews are outstanding players but I wouldn’t label them generational talent. Matthews could be worth an argument given where he’s from. Compare that to Football (American and Soccer) and the NBA where there is huge hype every single year about the pot. 1 pick. Especially in the NBA who label the first overall pick generational every year or so it feels (Between Davis and ZION there were like 4 generationals)...

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
brady has no argument for the GOAT. he's a better than average QB that has won a lot of championships. but he does not play the game better than anyone else by far. that's what a GOAT is.
Agree. Over the last 15 years no team has been more dominant on defense than his team, and he has nothing to do with that.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
Nadal and Djokovic are both better than Federer.

umm...

Grand Slams

Roger Federer (SUI)20
Rafael Nadal (ESP)18
Novak Djokovic (SRB)16
Pete Sampras (USA)14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

All time Wins

1 Jimmy Connors*1970–19961274
2 Roger Federer^1998–1223
3 Ivan Lendl*1978–19941068
4 Rafael Nadal^2001–960
5 Guillermo Vilas*1968–1992949
6 John McEnroe*1976–1992881
7 Novak Djokovic^2003–874
8 Andre Agassi*1986–2006870
9 Ilie Năstase*1968–1985854
10 Stefan Edberg*1982–1996801
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
LeBron is not a GOAT. Gretzky is a GOAT of all GOATs. Simple. It might take a 100 years to replace Gretzky although I am sure marketing will start claiming someone surpassing him as soon as it is remotely feasible. See LeBron.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I just had this argument at work. Who is the real GOAT Tom Brady, or Wild Bill Belichick? To me Belichick and Popovich are the last great coaches. I don’t see anyone in hockey or baseball as their equals.

Reactions: DaveG

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. Or at least a serious threat. Greatest of all time stuff is often created at the end of a career and we are not there yet with Crosby and Ovechkin.

Are we saying Mike Trout is better than Ruth or Willie or Hank or Nolan Ryan or Steve Carlton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad