Why is hockey the only sport not to produce a GOAT-calibre player in the last decade or so?

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Lol maradona lifted his nationl team like messi nor ronaldo could never do.

His 1986 wc performance is simply GOAT.
Yeah. Its almost like back then one player couldnt make alot more difference than now a days.

Using one tournament that half a dozen teams have actual chance of winning doesnt prove too much. Even If you are correct about it being the best performance in WC all time.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
So what do you think his PPG numbers would have been if he played full seasons? And whatever those PPG numbers are, do they win him more Art Rosses; the reason why noone places him along side Howe?

These are just guesses obviously. I think his pace would have slowed a little, but not to a horrible extent or anything.

2007-08: 109 (53 game pace per 82 games was 111 points)
2010-11: 123 (41 /pace/ 132) - Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay + Rocket
2011-12: 118 (22 /pace/ 138) - Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay

Career PPG:
Current: 1.290
Adjusted: 1.279
Still good enough for 6th all-time

As for Howe vs Crosby... I am not old enough to have watched Howe. Anything before Gretzky is to old for me to have a valid opinion on.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
A 33 year old Ronaldo. For 9 years at Madrid the Guy scored at over a goal/game rate. Maradona might be more talented, but still no contest. Numbers speak for themselfs and yes obviously Messi is, since hes the best ever.

A 33 year old Ronaldo was outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarella. According to you more goals = better player, especially for 2 strikers. So Quagliarella > Ronaldo last season because numbers speak for themselves right?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
These are just guesses obviously. I think his pace would have slowed a little, but not to a horrible extent or anything.

2007-08: 109 (53 game pace per 82 games was 111 points)
2010-11: 123 (41 /pace/ 132) - Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay + Rocket
2011-12: 118 (22 /pace/ 138) - Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay

Career PPG:
Current: 1.290
Adjusted: 1.279
Still good enough for 6th all-time

As for Howe vs Crosby... I am not old enough to have watched Howe. Anything before Gretzky is to old for me to have a valid opinion on.

Not unreasonable guesses. You can add another Art Ross + Hart + Lindsay for 2013 also. So he would have an offensive resume after 14 seasons that would challenge Howe's best 14 season stretch.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
A 33 year old Ronaldo was outscored by a 36 year old Quagliarella. According to you more goals = better player, especially for 2 strikers. So Quagliarella > Ronaldo last season because numbers speak for themselves right?

Lol. Im a shamed you have Hala Madrid up there. Thats all I can say at this point.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Gretzky was a hell of a player, other sports haven't really had anything like him, in comparison to his peers. It doesn't look like McDavid is that either, so it remains to be seen when the next prospect with such potential emerges. Seems like it'll take a good while until then.

If they ever do, you'll know long before they reach the league. Crosby was being hyped since he was 13. Ditto Mario, Lindros, Gretzky.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I dislike Brady but Brady is the GOAT in football. It was Montana but Brady has surpassed even Joe. Your definition of GOAT is wrong. You are adding "by far" and that is completely made up by you.

ANd are we talking about Maradona for Volleyball GOAT?
Brady is greatest “winner” in football but I wouldn’t call him the greatest “player.” Kraft has done a phenomenal job at surrounding Brady with elite talent on both ends and sublime coaching personnel. Other QB’s at his level weren’t as fortunate

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Because Gretzky is pretty much impossible to reach
In terms of dominance, yes.

In terms of raw skill, no. McDavid is on another planet compared to Gretzky when it comes to speed, skill, and everything else for that matter.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Yeah that's all you can say because your "argument" just blew up in your face lol
Or your idea of sample size or displayed football knowledge is beyond lacking.

R9 Better career wise than CR7 is probably one of the funniest things Ive read. Another case of what could've been and what actually was. But yeah this is a icehockey forum, so I should expect as much

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

R9 Better career wise than CR7 is probably one of the funniest things Ive read. Another case of what could've been and what actually was. But yeah this is a icehockey forum, so I should expect as much
R9 > CR7, CR7 stole a lot of Messi’s Ballon D’ors tbh

Reactions: Voight

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid is the most skilled hockey player of all time. Based on pure physical ability.

Gretzky's greatness was based on top 3 skill of all time and greatest mind.

Connors skill is unparalleled, Gretzky's vision was unparalleled.

Reactions: middletoe

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone who judges players solely on goals has zero football knowledge. I mean you're comparing a striker like CR7 to a #10 like Maradona, saying he's better because he scores more lol.

No one said career wise, that's obviously CR7. R9 at his best was a better player than CR7 and it's not close tbh.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
McDavid is the most skilled hockey player of all time. Based on pure physical ability.

Gretzky's greatness was based on top 3 skill of all time and greatest mind.

Connors skill is unparalleled, Gretzky's vision was unparalleled.
Basically agree with you here. But I’d add that Lemieux had comparable vision to Gretzky I think.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Anyone who judges players solely on goals has zero football knowledge. I mean you're comparing a striker like CR7 to a #10 like Maradona, saying he's better because he scores more lol.

No one said career wise, that's obviously CR7. R9 at his best was a better player than CR7 and it's not close tbh.

Sure. Its almost like Maradonas main Job wanst to score and create? He sure as hell couldnt defend. So Ill judge him by his main job. He doesnt have the goal nor assist numbers to back up a claim he is a goat. He wanst some Xavi,Kroos,Pirlo like ball retetition master. Like you say he was a 10 or second striker at times and for that role his simply not productive enough, lacked consitency, be it because of cocaine, lack of professionalism or what, its there on show.

And no I definitely dont rate players only based on goals. But If you have a guy that goes a decade with a goal a game rate. It unprecidented and in the end goals are what
win games. Guys who make a difference are super valuable and if you do it at that level for that long it really doesnt matter does the other guy have better technical ability and what not.

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
Ovechkin is literally in discussion for breaking one of 99’s unbreakable records and will probably be the greatest goal scorer in NHL history. If that isn’t GOAT territory I don’t know what is. Lol

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin is literally in discussion for breaking one of 99’s unbreakable records and will probably be the greatest goal scorer in NHL history. If that isn’t GOAT territory I don’t know what is. Lol

Hope he makes it....He's certainly in the conversation for GOAT of one skillset, arguably the most important one in the game.

Reactions: HockeySniper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad