why is Expansion money NOT part of formula?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
While I'm not a fan of expansion, I think we could easily see two more west coast teams get added and get to 8 4 team divsions. Divisional games mean more as 4 out of the 8 spots are giving to divisional champs.

Why not add a team in Portland and a team in Las Vegas. Then your new divisions:

Northeast:

Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal

LEftovers
Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington

East Coast:
NYR, NYI, NJ, Philly

Southeast
Atlanta, Florida, Tampa, Carolina

Central:
Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville

Southwest:

Dallas, Arizona, Las Vegas, Colorado

West Coast:

Portland, Anaheim, San Jose, LA

Northwest:

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
With speculation that an expansion team could cost north of $250 million dollars (http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/darren_dreger/), how come this isnt included in the pool of hockey related revenue?

this is NEW revenue, as opposed to selling an existing franchise. i dont disagree that the proceeds from a sale of an existing franchise should have nothing to do with the players, but expansion fee's i dont see why they shouldnt. yes i know new teams will mean more money for the players, but this is a HUGE pot of gold for the owners that is not shared with the players. i thought Bettman was all about a "partnership"?

any opinions on the matter?

The CBA is a collectively bargained agreement, it's not something that the owners just made up unilaterally. If the PA thought it was a big issue, they could have made it an issue during negotiations. The fact that they didn't probably indicates that the PA did not think it was important enough to fight over, probably for reasons already mentioned: the PA is aware that expansion will mean more jobs for its members, and the PA is aware that expansion during the term of this CBA is unlikely.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that the PA's opinion was obviously that this was something they are willing to live with. Not sure why we, the fans, should be telling the PA otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->