Why is Charles Schulz in the (U.S.) Hockey Hall of Fame?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I was a big Peanuts fan growing up and always appreciated that there were quite a few hockey-related strips. Not even close to the amount of baseball content of course, but you could tell that Schulz was a hockey fan.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ya I think thats fabulous, that the US Hockey Hall of Fame would honor him, his incredible body of work & success with the Peanuts Gang in such a way, his obvious love for the game, promoting it whereby it was absolutely embedded into the storylines. Then theres the arena he built, the creation of the Snoopy Tournament, all major contributions to the game of hockey in Southern California, throughout the US & Canada, globally. Richly deserved.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
The Snoopy hockey strips ran on & off from 67-72, i believe, so at the height of Peanuts popularity & the dawn of NHL expansion in the US, it was very important for hockey to get that kind of exposure & enshrinement in pop culture. Schulz was a Hawks fan, i believe.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I noticed as well he was awarded the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1981. That trophy was donated by the New York Rangers in 1966 in honor of Lester Patrick, awarded to individuals & or teams who have made contributions to the game in the US.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Have you heard of the Snoopy's Senior World Hockey Tournament? It's a major reason why he's a worthy nominee in the BUILDER category.

:youtube: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy's_Senior_World_Hockey_Tournament

In addition, of course, to his cartooning:

51W2FKSZZQL.jpg

539665_10151720232623054_526484321_n.jpg

A deserving inductee.

DT77

Jul 7, 2009
He had done some work for the Flames while they were in Atlanta and after they'd moved to Calgary, continued:

First Game Program:

normal.jpg

1983 Home Opener (First Game in Saddledome):

1_d8c224b0fd6873b91a8ae7b1ddf8ef44.jpg

1985 All-Star Game:

allstar+program.jpg

I believe he did home opener program covers for the first eight or so years they were in Calgary. I've even seen his work on programs for other teams throughout the 70s.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Schulz was a Hawks fan, i believe.

NO, HE WAS A CONFIRMED SEALS FAN!!! Had season tickets in Oakland. He drew "Sparky", the Seals' cartoon logo when they changed to the teal colors in 74/75:

tumblr_m27iqnpxcY1qzvx0to1_500.gif

Somewhere I have 2 of his Peanuts comic strips saved; he managed to sneak his favorite team into them - one has a Seals pennant on the wall of a bedroom, the other has the characters playing hockey and one has Seals across the front of his shirt.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Terrific picture! Love the tube skates, gloves, wooden stick, no helmet. Guess thats his own rink there, and I must say looks beyond charming. Great spot. Havin fun. Freedom.... he'd acquired quite a bit of wealth through the Peanuts & Charlie Brown franchise. At his death a reputed $26M. Its almost a wonder he didnt buy an NHL Franchise back in the day, however, as someone who seriously shunned the limelight, dont think he'd have worn that yoke very comfortably. Cant imagine him rubbing elbows with the likes of a Clarence Campbell, Wirtz or Ballard, any of em' really.... and on the topic of celebrities, didnt Bing Crosby own a piece of the Seals for awhile or was he involved in the failed Seattle bid back in 74 when that city was in fact granted a franchise conditionally?... Canadian born actor Glenn Ford as well, made a play for the Atlanta Flames back in 78/79 however Skalbania doubled up on his group & moved the franchise to Calgary as we know.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I had no idea. I guess maybe there were some Peanuts hockey comic strips from time to time? Honestly, I associate football and Charlie Brown's constant field goal attempts being thwarted more than anything else.

But I guess he contributed in different ways and maybe helped grow the game as I am reading other posts.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Have you heard of the Snoopy's Senior World Hockey Tournament? It's a major reason why he's a worthy nominee in the BUILDER category.

:youtube: Snoopy's Senior World Hockey Tournament - Wikipedia

In addition, of course, to his cartooning:

51W2FKSZZQL.jpg

539665_10151720232623054_526484321_n.jpg

A deserving inductee.

Dad has played in that tournament several times. He organized a team that won their division in the 70+ age group (he went to the tournament but didn't play at the time because of health reasons)

Here is a picture of the trophy
0pjQOcF.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad