Why is all of Canada celebrating????

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdog25

wow

i thought this was hockey talk seems more like a Canada vs United States. allot of my country is better than yours crap going on .i live in Tulsa Oklahoma have been a habs fan all my life the closest thing i have to hockey here is tv or going to see a chl game unless i want to drive to Dallas 250 miles away .personally i want hockey to just make it, if in Nashville great but if the team dosen't then somewhere else Nashville is not the only team with problems out there. Personally i would rather have a team out west like in Winnipeg or Seattle the east is pretty full but i just want a team in a good market so is will help out hockey . i love my country and i love Canada to i even married a Canadian girl. so lets not make this a nation vs nation issue i don't think that is the problem

God Bless the USA and Canada
Support the troops

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
The dynamics of the NHL and Canadian economy at the time didn't allow for the average fan to save their team. It was all about dollars, not that Winnipeg wasn't a viable market. Eleven years later, it's an entirely different situation.

Exactly so you agree that the team had to move right? They were forced in to moving. So how can you be angry about americans stealing your team if you yourself have now stated it's something they HAD TO DO!!! YOu are basicly saying you want revenge for something that you think they should have done. Priceless. I'm not saying Winnipeg is an unrealistic option I haven't said that in any of my posts. You are actually the one saying... can't support a team... doesn't like hockey... is a worse option not me. If the league decides Winnipeg needs a team so be it, I assume they have reason to do so and it' isn't because the NHL hates Canada like you try to make it sound.

Jazz

The NHL isn't getting any TV deal on the basis of the Predators being in Nashville....
Partly correct.

The NHL is not going to get a TV deal by simply being in Nashville

But

It will help them get a TV deal when the sport shakes the image it has as a northern sport only.

Having a team leave Nashville signals that hockey does not work in the South - this is a huge perception issue for the NHL in it's quest for greater revenue.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
All I'll say is look at the attendance figures for the bastions of hockey (Quebec & Winnipeg) the last 5 or so years compared to Nashvilles (a hick town that 99% of the population never heard of hockey 10 years ago) recent #'s...

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/NHL-attendance.htm

Now explain how it's better to have a team in one of those cities where (according to most Canadian posters) hockey is worshipped, thus really isn't gonna grow rather than a place it can grow alot more???

Face it, the NHL wants franchises in the US because thats where the $$ is....don't believe me? look at the current TV deals for the NFL, MLB, and NBA and tell me some Canadian network (hell, all of em combined) can match it...didn't think so.

I'm really growing tired of seeing all these Canadian hockey elitist spouting all this ridiculous garbage on here.

Quebec's attendance is pretty much on par with the league average... Nashvilles not so much... and with an elite team and a brand spanking new Arena.
Thanks for making our point!

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
"As the NHL expanded in the United States, operating costs and salaries grew rapidly and the Jets were unable to retain their best players. Various schemes were devised to save the team through a tremendous grassroots effort and government funds. Loyal fans raised over $13 million CAD through various fund raising events in their bid to keep the team.[citation needed] In the end, their efforts were not enough. The Winnipeg Jets played their last game on April 28, 1996 - a home playoff loss to the Detroit Red Wings by a score of 4-1. The last goal ever scored by a Jet was netted by Norm Maciver. The money that had been raised was later donated to several Winnipeg charities"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Jets

First link, it's well known how the people of Winnipeg stepped up to raise money trying to save the team.

Uhhh, apparently $13 mill wasn't enough, so they failed then didn't they?? Shows once again to me that theres not enough $$ in Winnipeg if they couldn't come up with more than that.

Raoul Duke*

Are you purposefully misreading posts?

Generally wanting more teams in Canada if ok (ie expansion).

Wanting teams at the expense of other cities and blatantly making comments like "you don't deserve a team" is classless - simple.

I never said they don't deserve a team. People keep putting those words in my mouth, all I'm arguing is that IF the Predators do move - is that they should go to Canada.

Apparently that's a villianous thing to think around here.

Raoul Duke*

Or not.

You have small market teams like Buffalo and Edmonton complaining that they cannot make a go of it at the upper end of the salary cap even with the new CBA and Nashville that looks to be in need of relocation.

In the case of the Oilers - the EIG is just a team of good liars. They can afford to compete, and if they don't think so - sell the team to Darryl Katz who will. Nobody is buying the EIG's BS whining anymore in Edmonton.

Raoul Duke*

Exactly so you agree that the team had to move right? They were forced in to moving. So how can you be angry about americans stealing your team if you yourself have now stated it's something they HAD TO DO!!! YOu are basicly saying you want revenge for something that you think they should have done. Priceless. I'm not saying Winnipeg is an unrealistic option I haven't said that in any of my posts. You are actually the one saying... can't support a team... doesn't like hockey... is a worse option not me. If the league decides Winnipeg needs a team so be it, I assume they have reason to do so and it' isn't because the NHL hates Canada like you try to make it sound.

It's not about revenge, it's about putting teams back where they belong. Even if it's by expansion instead of relocation. I'm certain the Jets and Nordiques could have stayed and stuck it out like the Oilers did but they went for the quick American dollar. I don't think they HAD to move, but there wasn't anything the Joe Average fan could do about it at the time.

Raoul Duke*

Uhhh, apparently $13 mill wasn't enough, so they failed then didn't they?? Shows once again to me that theres not enough $$ in Winnipeg if they couldn't come up with more than that.

FANS of the team, your average guy on the street - raised $13 million dollars in an attempt to save the Jets. That should be more of an indication that there is enough money in Winnipeg.

How much should they have raised in your opinion? 1 billion? The fans weren't going to buy the team - it was to indicate that they supported the Jets and would contribute to keep them in the city.

Wetcoaster

In the case of the Oilers - the EIG is just a team of good liars. They can afford to compete, and if they don't think so - sell the team to Darryl Katz who will. Nobody is buying the EIG's BS whining anymore in Edmonton.
That seems to be the line from some Oiler fans but it does not appear that way to me.

Raoul Duke*

That seems to be the line from some Oiler fans but it does not appear that way to me.

How not? The whole EIG and their crying poor was pretty much exposed when they turned down Katz offer to buy the team. Just mathematically by ticket sales and how much they spend, they're full of it.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
OK, I looked some stuff up, as you suggested. The entire population of the province of Manitoba is roughly 1.1 mill. Now, given the size of Manitoba just how many of those 1.1 mill live close enough to realistically attend games? Now, of those how many can afford to plunk down the $50 bucks per person (that's being on the low side) to go to a game?
the city of winnipeg is about 700,000 the areas surrounding it probably have another 100,000. to whom there are over 75 hockey rinks available .
the ahl moose average about 7500 per game. at about 30 $

Wetcoaster

How not? The whole EIG and their crying poor was pretty much exposed when they turned down Katz offer to buy the team. Just mathematically by ticket sales and how much they spend, they're full of it.
Or perhaps a negotiating ploy to get a better price?

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Quebec's attendance is pretty much on par with the league average... Nashvilles not so much... and with an elite team and a brand spanking new Arena.
Thanks for making our point!

A little smug are we? Nashville is doing this with a whole 9 year history, prob 2x the ticket prices, and a lost season in the middle of it....sounds OK to me.

I've lived near Tampa for 7 years now and can tell you for a fact that hockey can do extremely well in the "non-traditional" (that term is so pathetic) markets. Give Nashville a couple deep runs in the playoffs and you'll see a huge difference (of course having Poile as GM won't help that). The area has gone from basically no clue of what hockey is to generating about the same #'s as Winnipeg, all of which has been under the huge decline hockey has taken in the last 10 years in a very short time....give them a chance.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
gumby . you say 5.5 million in tenn.
how many people in tennessee skate? play hockey? have a brother or dad who play hockey?
there 8 million in mexico city when will that city ice a team?

Raoul Duke*

A little smug are we? Nashville is doing this with a whole 9 year history, prob 2x the ticket prices, and a lost season in the middle of it....sounds OK to me.

I've lived near Tampa for 7 years now and can tell you for a fact that hockey can do extremely well in the "non-traditional" (that term is so pathetic) markets. Give Nashville a couple deep runs in the playoffs and you'll see a huge difference (of course having Poile as GM won't help that). The area has gone from basically no clue of what hockey is to generating about the same #'s as Winnipeg, all of which has been under the huge decline hockey has taken in the last 10 years in a very short time....give them a chance.

They're losing money hand over fist every year. Who do you propose should take those losses to give them a chance?

I also hate that "give them a couple runs" argument to having a team stay. Championships aren't handed out to give teams a survival factor. The Nordiques were perenial losers in Quebec but people showed up. The Canucks have never won a Cup in their almost 40 years of existance, but they're established.

Put a MLB World Series contender in Regina, Saskatchewan and people will show up.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
FANS of the team, your average guy on the street - raised $13 million dollars in an attempt to save the Jets. That should be more of an indication that there is enough money in Winnipeg.

How much should they have raised in your opinion? 1 billion? The fans weren't going to buy the team - it was to indicate that they supported the Jets and would contribute to keep them in the city.

If Winnipeg is such a viable market where was the corporate $ to help? If you need fans raising money to keep what is basically the soul of your city where hockey is worshipped then you're in worse financial condition than I thought....I guarantee you'll never see fans out trying to save the Yankees, or even the weakest NFL team for that matter (and I think hockey is much bigger in Canada than football is here).

Wetcoaster

The average fan does not seem to be the problem in Nashville. It is a problem with the corporate sector and that does not appear to be fixable.

Leipold brought in one of the best corporate marketers in pro sports to try to reach the Nashville corporate sector and it did not work. Here is what Leipold had to say about this issue in his e-mail to Nashville Predator fans:
We've invested heavily in sales and marketing efforts, spending over $50 million in 10 years, most of that with locally-based businesses.

While individual fan support has always been strong, we've worked aggressively to increase our local business support since Season Four. We've tried a variety of approaches with minimal success. Our records show today that corporate support for the Nashville Predators makes up about 35% of our season ticket base. The average in other markets is around 60%. During our first two years, approximately 4,000 businesses owned season tickets. Today, only 1,800 businesses have season tickets.
Since the NHL is corporate season ticket driven league, this does not seem a workable market.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

If the Oilers are having so much trouble despite selling out all of their games at an average ticket price of over 61 USD, or almost 20% above the league's average ticket price, how are the 20 or so teams that can't bring in those kind of numbers going to survive. The fact is with the new CBA, the dollar as high as it currently is and with a very strong economy in Alberta, the Oilers are doing just fine, probably in the top third or at least top half of the league in terms of revenue.

It was reported, I believe in the Globe and Mail, that all Canadian teams will likely be contributing to the revenue sharing pool this year, with none of them receiving any revenue sharing. You have to be in the top 1/2 of the league in revenue generated, if I'm not mistaken, in order to not qualify for revenue sharing.

This has been posted before, but perhaps you haven't seen it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/v5/content/pdf/NHLweb.pdf

GHOST

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We have a politics board, folks - take the military talk, 'W' bashing, and other such comments there.

Wetcoaster

If the Oilers are having so much trouble despite selling out all of their games at an average ticket price of over 61 USD, or almost 20% above the league's average ticket price, how are the 20 or so teams that can't bring in those kind of numbers going to survive. The fact is with the new CBA, the dollar as high as it currently is and with a very strong economy in Alberta, the Oilers are doing just fine, probably in the top third or at least top half of the league in terms of revenue.

It was reported, I believe in the Globe and Mail, that all Canadian teams will likely be contributing to the revenue sharing pool this year, with none of them receiving any revenue sharing. You have to be in the top 1/2 of the league in revenue generated, if I'm not mistaken, in order to not qualify for revenue sharing.

This has been posted before, but perhaps you haven't seen it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/v5/content/pdf/NHLweb.pdf

GHOST
Already saw it but it does not answer the issues raised by Oilers management.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
the city of winnipeg is about 700,000 the areas surrounding it probably have another 100,000. to whom there are over 75 hockey rinks available .
the ahl moose average about 7500 per game. at about 30 $

So I guess you're counting on all the Moose fans to drop their tickets in favor of paying double, then finding at least another 9k to do the same, while also getting the amount of luxury boxes sold (where the real money comes from) to make it anything more than a new CBA welfare case??

Seriously, you're expecting an awful lot of money from a city that small. Granted, most corperations in that area will be willing to get involved but is it enough?....I seriously doubt it.

! more thing, you still need a real arena. I know it's a small detail but.....

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
You can surely understand the anger of bitter Winnipeg and Québec fans, as you now feel it yourself. Its a general anger at Canadian teams going to the States and not doing any better. .

That sentence right there is KEY. We have no problem losing a team if their financially unstable but when they're moved to the States where there is little to no improvement we get a little annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad