Why is all of Canada celebrating????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

Your joking right??? He's already looking for land in Kitchener and made a deal with Halmilton? He refuses to even speak to people from Nashville including the mayor. His intention are crystal clear.
He didn't make a deal with Hamilton. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
All I'll say is look at the attendance figures for the bastions of hockey (Quebec & Winnipeg) the last 5 or so years compared to Nashvilles (a hick town that 99% of the population never heard of hockey 10 years ago) recent #'s...

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/NHL-attendance.htm

Now explain how it's better to have a team in one of those cities where (according to most Canadian posters) hockey is worshipped, thus really isn't gonna grow rather than a place it can grow alot more???

Face it, the NHL wants franchises in the US because thats where the $$ is....don't believe me? look at the current TV deals for the NFL, MLB, and NBA and tell me some Canadian network (hell, all of em combined) can match it...didn't think so.

I'm really growing tired of seeing all these Canadian hockey elitist spouting all this ridiculous garbage on here.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Now NFL teams moving to obscure Canadian locales is obviously never going to happen; but that is not the point. The point is, American sports fans would never accept NFL teams leaving established American markets to try and 'grow the game' in new, non-traditional markets.

Key words there are established and obscure. Nobody moved teams out of Canada that are making lots of money they moved teams that weren't making any.

Jazz

lol those teams are never moving - that's the point. It's history and tradition for pro football in those markets. Just like hockey is in Quebec City and Winnipeg. Get it yet why people are so adament to want their teams back?

Also, the Jets going to Hamilton is complete BS. The only other place they looked at was Minnesota while the city and citizens were going wild trying to raise money to save the team.

The Browns, the point is - got their team back. You don't think Winnipeg raises hell over the robbery of their Jets? Remember the World Junior Championships in North Dakota when it was overrun despite blizzard road conditions by Winnipegers who chanted each game all game long "GO JETS GO". Canada/Russia or Slovakia/Germany that's all you'd hear.
Robbery of the Jets??? I recall there was ample time for the city and/or local investors to try and buy the team and keep it there - noone stepped forth because it was simply not economically viable at the time. It was simple economics - no need to spin it into some subversive move out of Winnipeg.

I am not a fan of teams moving, and I do think that many posters here should show greater sensitivity towards those here who might be affected instead of acting the class-less manner some have.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
He didn't make a deal with Hamilton. Don't get too far ahead of yourself.
True. I personally wouldn't trust that he has good intentions because there are some worrying signs IMO, but it's not over yet. The BOG hasn't even approved the sale. Certainly understandable to be angry though, especially when you have (as someone put it) elitists spouting a lot of ridiculous garbage around here. :)

Raoul Duke*

Again, why don't you look at the attendance of the North Stars, Atlanta Flames and Colorado Rockies and tell me why they deserved another chance? Or look at the KC Scouts and tell me why they deserve another chance over Winnipeg?

Or better yet, why not look at league wide attendance stats from those years you blame Winnipeg and QC for? Comparing things from today to 15 years ago is good if you want to skew an argument in your favour, I use it often arguing the greatness of Eric Lindros. It means little today.

The point is Nashville isn't doing what they can to make money, they're losing millions of dollars a year. Their dedicated owner who wanted it to work in Nashville had to cut out and sell. It isn't working there. I don't know how people can say Balsillie should be forced to keep the team there to lose money and hope that another 10 years, $70 million in losses later that a fan base will emerge. He paid $220 million dollars to buy the team, and should be allowed to move it wherever he feels necessary. The NHL is a business, you can't force someone who put up a quarter of a billion dollars to lose money when he feels he can be viable elsewhere.

Like Canada.

Jazz

....As for Canada celebrating - we got screwed over countless times in sports, and especially hockey....
Actually by my count:

Moves to Canada by American teams in the modern NHL era (1)
*Atlanta to Calgary in 1980.

Moves to US by Canadian teams in the modern NHL era (2)
*Quebec to Colorado in 1995
*Winnipeg to Phoenix in 1996.

2-1 does not mean getting screwed over an over again. You are exaggerating again.

Raoul Duke*

Robbery of the Jets??? I recall there was ample time for the city and/or local investors to try and buy the team and keep it there - noone stepped forth because it was simply not economically viable at the time. It was simple economics - no need to spin it into some subversive move out of Winnipeg.

I am not a fan of teams moving, and I do think that many posters here should show greater sensitivity towards those here who might be affected instead of acting the class-less manner some have.

Well, times change. There is an arena and the Canadian economy can pull it off now. Why are other cities in the US deserving of second chances but in the nation that lives and breathes hockey - it's one chance, that's all?

Raoul Duke*

Actually by my count:

Moves to Canada by American teams in the modern NHL era (1)
*Atlanta to Calgary in 1980.

Moves to US by Canadian teams in the modern NHL era (2)
*Quebec to Colorado in 1995
*Winnipeg to Phoenix in 1996.

2-1 does not mean getting screwed over an over again.

Add the Vancouver Grizzlies moving to Memphis, the Expos to Washington. Hence the word "sports" in my post.
As for hockey, the Nordiques and Jets should have never left. The NHL would have stepped in and saved them if it were a US franchise, Sabres, Penguins style.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
One other thing, I keep seein alot of talking about "what if an NFL team moved, how would you feel"? Guess what, NFL, MLB, and NBA move all the time, but you don't see people saying anything bad about the former market...always the opposite actually. The original poster was right, there are an awful lot of people showing very little class, and it's unfortunately beginning to give that image to alot of decent Canadians.

Jazz

Add the Vancouver Grizzlies moving to Memphis, the Expos to Washington. Hence the word "sports" in my post.
As for hockey, the Nordiques and Jets should have never left. The NHL would have stepped in and saved them if it were a US franchise, Sabres, Penguins style.
This is a hockey board, and you said "especially hockey".

Also, noone stepped up to buy those teams in the 1990s, can't blame the NHL for that.

Quebec City did not have a viable arena, and there was no indication that another was going to be built.

Raoul Duke*

This is a hockey board, and you said "especially hockey".

Also, noone stepped up to buy those teams in the 1990s, can't blame the NHL for that.

Wonderful point! This is a hockey board, I didn't realize that. I guess for bringing up other sports all my points are invalid and should be erased.

Raoul Duke*

One other thing, I keep seein alot of talking about "what if an NFL team moved, how would you feel"? Guess what, NFL, MLB, and NBA move all the time, but you don't see people saying anything bad about the former market...always the opposite actually. The original poster was right, there are an awful lot of people showing very little class, and it's unfortunately beginning to give that image to alot of decent Canadians.

These teams moving aren't going from a place where that sport is the culture and identity of the city to some random market in a failed hope to spread the game.

And if being proud of being Canadian and thinking we deserve teams back is classless, well I guess I'm the biggest SOB around. If a proud Canadian is giving a bad image to all Canadians in your mind - what makes a good one? A self loathing, agree to every point you make one?

cjbhab*

I hope the Predators stay in Nashville, im not a fan, so why should I care if they move up here? Im only concerned with the Habs.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The point is Nashville isn't doing what they can to make money, they're losing millions of dollars a year. Their dedicated owner who wanted it to work in Nashville had to cut out and sell. It isn't working there. I don't know how people can say Balsillie should be forced to keep the team there to lose money and hope that another 10 years, $70 million in losses later that a fan base will emerge. He paid $220 million dollars to buy the team, and should be allowed to move it wherever he feels necessary. The NHL is a business, you can't force someone who put up a quarter of a billion dollars to lose money when he feels he can be viable elsewhere.
Why should Winnipeg owners have been forced to stay when the were losing 12 to 15 million a year.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
These teams moving aren't going from a place where that sport is the culture and identity of the city to some random market in a failed hope to spread the game.

And if being proud of being Canadian and thinking we deserve teams back is classless, well I guess I'm the biggest SOB around. If a proud Canadian is giving a bad image to all Canadians in your mind - what makes a good one? A self loathing, agree to every point you make one?

Didn't mention you did I?

I'll make this fairly simple...the NHL want's to grow and get the $$ that the other leagues are getting via their TV deals. Now, putting a team in an area with no real opportunity to grow over the current #'s (sorry, but Hamilton, Winnipeg, or Quebec don't have the population or $$ to grow much more than what Nashville is now) they gain nothing. I think it's fairly simple anyway. Besides, theres no NHL arena in any of these places, and I seriously doubt the local govt's are itchin to throw down the $250 mill a legit arena costs.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Well, there may be some uncertainty on that. First off, he HASNT bought the team yet, he has simply made an offer that has already inflated other franchise values.

But as to whether he can move the team where he wants shoud he buy it, I am uncertain at the moment. There was link I followed from this board several months ago to an interview with Bill Daly. Daly seemed to suggest at this time that owners buy in for a franchise, but the decisions of where a franchise would be located are not up to that individual owner, but is rather a decision made by all the ownes as a whole in their best interests. Which appear to be the expansion of an american tv footprint.

Now i wouldnt have thought this was the case, but Daly certainly seemed to be making thta impression. Anyone help me understand this better?

Raoul Duke*

Why should Winnipeg owners have been forced to stay when the were losing 12 to 15 million a year.

They weren't. And neither should Balsillie if he wants to take the Predators out of Nashville.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Because hockey is our culture and lifestyle. Losing one team is a disgrace, let alone two.

Football is ours, do you think it's any different when the Browns left Cleveland or the Colts left Baltimore?? Being from the Balt/Was area I can tell you from experience nobody wished Indianapolis to lose their team...maybe hurtful things to the owner, but nothing against Indy. So what's your problem?

Raoul Duke*

Didn't mention you did I?

I'll make this fairly simple...the NHL want's to grow and get the $$ that the other leagues are getting via their TV deals. Now, putting a team in an area with no real opportunity to grow over the current #'s (sorry, but Hamilton, Winnipeg, or Quebec don't have the population or $$ to grow much more than what Nashville is now) they gain nothing. I think it's fairly simple anyway. Besides, theres no NHL arena in any of these places, and I seriously doubt the local govt's are itchin to throw down the $250 mill a legit arena costs.

The NHL isn't getting any TV deal on the basis of the Predators being in Nashville. If that were the case, they'd be getting paid by ESPN, NBC instead of giving it for free and being watched by less people in the entire United States than the city of Toronto.

Population is not an indicator, otherwise it'd be wise to put a team in Mexico City, 4 teams in Toronto, 2 in Montreal... You just need to put people in the seats, and any Canadian city can do that. As for money, I think you need to research that a little more before saying those cities have none.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
They weren't. And neither should Balsillie if he wants to take the Predators out of Nashville.

And it really doesn't look like they're going to but he's going to have to atleast wait til the lease is up. So right now it's being left up to Nashville.

Raoul Duke*

Football is ours, do you think it's any different when the Browns left Cleveland or the Colts left Baltimore?? Being from the Balt/Was area I can tell you from experience nobody wished Indianapolis to lose their team...maybe hurtful things to the owner, but nothing against Indy. So what's your problem?

Actually I already mentioned the Browns leaving. Scroll up, and you'll see we're on par with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->