Why is Alexis Lafrenière’s draft eligible year 2020 instead of 2019?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A SPC in the CHL signed at 16 years of age is for 4 years. The only out for the player before the 4 years is up is to the NHL team that drafts the player. So, in Lafreniere's case he does have an enforceable SPC for next year and the year after. He'll be in the Q as an 18 year old, but as a 19 year old, he'll be plying his trade with the NHL club that drafts him.

Alright then. I thought there were options in the contract for length of term commitment. But if that's the case, then yeah...he'll be there in the Q. He's gonna be there regardless. But that'd put a definite end to any idle speculation.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
No, Bure was 18 years old on Sept. 15 1989. The uncertainty regarding Bure's eligibility came from the fact that the rules were extremely complicated at the time and changed depending on where the drafted player came from. Bure could have been drafted in the first three rounds of the 1989 draft and that would have fine, as long as he was selected in the first three rounds. However, when the 1989 entry draft took place, the Soviet Union had yet to fall, and no team was willing to gamble such a high pick on a player whom the Soviets might not allow to leave. At this point, some other Eastern Bloc players had defected, but that's a pretty tough decision for a young man to make, especially when he knows that the Soviet government could make life miserable for any family left behind.

Luckily for the Canucks, there was some weird rule that said that an 18-year-old Soviet player could be taken after the third round, so long as he had played at least 11 games for his Soviet Championship League team in each of the previous two seasons. The official records seemed to indicate that Bure hadn't met this requirement, but the Canucks scouting staff found evidence of extra games that no one else uncovered(remember this was pre-Internet). Even then, it took nearly a year for the NHL to finally accept that Vancouver's Bure pick was in fact legal.

Huh, I went and checked Wiki and you're all right here, and that's so weird to me, because I've been coming online to talk about hockey since basically when the Panthers tried that Ovechkin thing, 15 years ago, the story has been re-hashed a trillion times before, and I've never heard anyone describe it any differently, or correct my description of it as "basically what happened with Ovechkin, except an arbitrator said yes so they clarified the rules." Good on you.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It makes a lot more sense to move the draft age back 9 months and make it Dec 31 of your U19 year. So many of the draft+1 impact players of the last several years were late birthdays and as such had to wait a year vs their peers.

Matthews/Eichel/Jones/Yakupov/Landeskog/Hall/Tavares/Hedman/Doughty/Kane/Kessel...

Just sync it up to the calendar year and shorten the signing period to a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad