Why I'm excited for this team

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What I don't like is his lack of awareness on the ice when in his own zone. His -6 this season says that already.

Myers was horrendous at the start of this season. I was down on him and said it.

He has improved the last 5 games. Since you mentioned plus/minus; he is a +1 in the last 5 games with only one minus game.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
hey did you guys know that Zemgus Girgensons is actually Canadian?

Well if he was anything else he'd suck :sarcasm:

Ok. Now that I get my jackassery out of the way......

Myers has played better recently. It's going to still take time for him to drop habits and pick up better ones.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Great center depth and defensive depth; that's how you build contenders.

Yup. That's why I'm happy with how our rebuild is going. I like to think of it as the anti-Edmonton method. They drafted plenty of star-power offensive studs, but never were able to draft quality defending, center depth, or checking forwards. We have high quality young d-men for days, oodles of centers, many of whom play high-energy strong two-way games, and plenty of guys who look like they'll slot in as strong depth players even if they don't become offensive impact players (ie: Catenacci, Kea, Baptiste, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn, Tropp). And the way this team is presently built, it looks like we'll be able to top that off with a couple top 3-5 picks in the next few seasons, which would set up our future brilliantly, because that top end talent at the forward position is the only truly glaring hole in our prospect pool IMO (outside of Grigorenko, but he's obviously a somewhat risky projection).

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Things I like are that we drafted our top end D talent before our top end forward talent. They take more time to develop, so take them first.

Over the next two years take a Center/forward with our top 5 pick. Sprinkle in a couple of trades for an additional D depth or to move up for high end talent.

It'll probly be 2018 when it's all said and done.

The rebuild could be faster if we dump Vanek/Miller and really make strong draft moves over the next year ;)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
What about Foligno guys. Is he part of the future and present here? Will he get a shot on the top line? What's his role right now on the team??

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
In 1-3 years...

Girgensons-(Rhinehart, McDavid?)-XXXXX
Ennis-Hodgson-Armia
Foligno-Larsson-Flynn
Tropp-XXXXX-Kaleta/XXXXX

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Zadorov-Myers
McCabe/McNabb-Ristolainen

Not bad, but still needs more top-end scoring talent - at least a winger or two.

I have to disagree with you any team with Connor McDavid on it is a lot better than not bad, you were excited about McKinnon so how could you not be excited about McDavid?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What about Foligno guys. Is he part of the future and present here? Will he get a shot on the top line? What's his role right now on the team??

I can't imagine Foligno NOT being a part of the long-term future here. He's one of those "glue" guys that every team needs. I don't think he'll get a long-term shot on the top line, but could see action there due to injury or others' incompetence (and given this team, there's PLENTY of incompetence).

Right now, he's centering Ennis and Stafford. Not looking out of place either. Long term, I think he's a third-line winger that can cover top 6 due to injury. Just doesn't have the offense to be a long-term top 6 guy. Solid defensively and should be a member of what could/should be a killer two way line.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd say his ideal role is about about:

50% "third line" ruckus causer (on a scoring line like FES)
25% top six fill-in
25% checking winger when you need to intimidate a scoring matchup

He won't look out of place anywhere in the top 9, but you really want him hitting and mixing it up, and offensive zone shifts against weak competition is the easiest place for him to do that.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I have to disagree with you any team with Connor McDavid on it is a lot better than not bad, you were excited about McKinnon so how could you not be excited about McDavid?

Uh...there's 20 other roster spots to evaluate beside the big huge "IF" of having McDavid. Not sure who you're thinking of about McKinnon. I would've been pretty happy if the pipe dream of acquiring him happened, but I never posted about it since it was such a long-shot.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
The Positivity Thread

This thread is for posting positive thoughts only about the Buffalo Sabres. There is plenty of negativity going on around these boards already, so it's time to start balancing things out.

I am thankful for the opportunity to be a dedicated fan to a sport organization I care deeply about, and also for the privilege of simply watching the players within the organization play a sport that they love, and that I also love.

It's awesome that we have a nice stable of young prospects to watch develop before our very eyes, and even more talented youth is on the way in the upcoming drafts.

It's awesome that we are rebuilding right now - finally - and that we have the opportunity to "suffer", knowing that there are bright spots already on the roster who will potentially help lead the way to Buffalo's glory days.

Zemgus Girgensons has a work ethic that is second to none. I'm stoked he plays for Buffalo and I believe he will be an amazing leader for many years to come. The attitude he brings to the game is contagious, and could easily rub off on the guys with questionable effort. If Girgs lives up to his leadership potential, he will inspire the other men on the team to want to give as much effort as he does. Leaders bring out the best in others. Imagine a team full of men with the drive and dedication that Girgensons has. That is the direction this team is headed. Guys like Pysyk, McCabe, Compher, etc. also project to be solid leaders, from what I have read, and will even further solidify the work ethic the Buffalo Sabres have.

10 years from now, I believe we will be able to look back on the 2013-14 Buffalo Sabres not as "tank mode", but as the dawn of a new era. This is the beginning of the journey. Enjoy it.

Mods: Please ensure this thread stays positive. Thank you.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Girgensons has a great work ethic, Grigorenko seems to have stepped it up.

Pysyk, Zad and Risto all seen NHL caliber and are making mistakes which shows, at least, they are trying.

Myers is playing better, even if he needs to engage his brain more often I am seeing slow improvement.

Vanek and Hodgson are still a real offensive force. Oh and Miller is just on fire.

I still like Flynn, I think he could be a useful player for the club.

In fact, aside from the issue with most of the veterans I'm enjoying watching the games. This was always going to be a ***** season.

Oh and hosting all teams at least once this season means I get to see all clubs, and Colorado were a pleasure to watch.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I think Myers could go the route of Brian Campbell. It took Soupy several years to figure it out, but when he finally did, he was great.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Zadorov is a beast. Honestly, I was more excited about him than Ristolainen. Risto is probably the safer bet, which is why he was picked first but Zadorov has more upside (and more bust potential). Man has he started out great. Yes, I know, still a long way to go. After all, McNabb came up a couple of years ago and threw a lot of good hits around but fell back a bit. And Myers was just as care-free and "disrespectful" when he broke in to the league. It's not gonna be a walk in the park, but still - I'm so excited about this kid. He's got everything needed to be a fan favourite for years to come.

Pysyk is solid. Can't believe this kid made his debut late last season. He looks like his played in this league for years.

Myers is bouncing back. Looks like he's finally finding the balance in his game.

Larsson will turn into a solid "unsung hero". He's a solid, hardworking two-way forward who will be useful in all kinds of situations. I watched him in Sweden before he went over, and I'm convinced that this is the kind of player that will do whatever is asked of him. Want him on a checking line? He'll be a checking forward. Want him on a scoring line? He'll put points on the board. He will never be a shining star, but a very important team-player.

Girgensons looks good. Works hard, uses his body to check and block shots, takes the shot if he gets a chance. Great skater.

Grigorenko may have had his best game to date last night when he finally got to play with some... hockeyplayers. From what I saw, he looked more relaxed, was more active then reactive. I really hope he's about to get over the hump.

Foligno shows that last year was an off year for him. He's back on track, doing great work.

Enroth!!!

There's a lot to be excited about. Suffering? Well, yeah, but maybe last nights game was a little bit of a tipping point for a team that has had a hard time catching a break. I honestly don't care about winning this year, I just want to see development, and I think we're starting to see it...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Why does it have to be Zads versus Risto ? Are you not allowed to be excited for both?

I agree, and I think there's been far too much of this type of stuff, not just with them but also with Grigorenko vs Girgensons and Ennis vs Hodgson and so on and I mean I get where it comes from but shouldn't we all want to see all of the Sabres guys succeed regardless of our personal feeling and preferences and seeing our opinions supported? (with the exception of guys like Tallinder, that is)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Why does it have to be Zads versus Risto ? Are you not allowed to be excited for both?

It doesn't have to be, and it isn't. That's not what I meant. But I think Zads is more of a high risk prospect than Risto, just as I think Grigs is a more high risk prospect than Girgs. I'm pretty sure that Risto and Girgs are gonna make it, while Zads and Grigs are a bit more likely to either be stars or busts. That makes it a bit more exciting. Or thrilling, maybe that's a better word.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It doesn't have to be, and it isn't. That's not what I meant. But I think Zads is more of a high risk prospect than Risto, just as I think Grigs is a more high risk prospect than Girgs. I'm pretty sure that Risto and Girgs are gonna make it, while Zads and Grigs are a bit more likely to either be stars or busts. That makes it a bit more exciting. Or thrilling, maybe that's a better word.

Agreed, 100%.

The enigmatic Russians. :D

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
If we can score 1 more goal a game, we could sneak in to 8th. If we score 1 more while preventing 1, we can roar in to 6th.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm liking the growth we're seeing in the kids in the last few games. I suppose with 7 players with under a full year of NHL experience on the roster, there will always be someone out there we consider a kid, but they seem to be taking the opportunities and running.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm liking the growth we're seeing in the kids in the last few games. I suppose with 7 players with under a full year of NHL experience on the roster, there will always be someone out there we consider a kid, but they seem to be taking the opportunities and running.

I tell you, I like the quantity of kids, too. In the past, we've weaned in one at a time until their spot was secured and then weaned in the next 1-2. And I think that made it so that, as soon as training camp finished, there was a lack of competition among the rookies carried over to the mentality of the team when they grew up. Sure, they might have been "competing" against vets, but the vets' spots were secured, there was a pecking order.

But now there's going to be a cluster**** of competition for the good minutes among these kids. And that means a bunch of really talented young guys are going to learn to fight against each other for minutes and spots over the course of the whole season.

I think that's good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I tell you, I like the quantity of kids, too. In the past, we've weaned in one at a time until their spot was secured and then weaned in the next 1-2. And I think that made it so that, as soon as training camp finished, there was a lack of competition among the rookies carried over to the mentality of the team when they grew up. Sure, they might have been "competing" against vets, but the vets' spots were secured, there was a pecking order.

But now there's going to be a cluster**** of competition for the good minutes among these kids. And that means a bunch of really talented young guys are going to learn to fight against each other for minutes and spots over the course of the whole season.

I think that's good.

I'd like to see the progression continue (and it is a major disappointment to watch the vets being so ineffective). The kids seem to be leading the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad