Why I'm excited for this team

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You can love Myers all you want, I can't wait til he's traded. I'll let it be known on this board that I cant stand his play. The amount of defensemen the Sabres have accumulated. He's expendable.

heartsabres*

You can love Myers all you want, I can't wait til he's traded. I'll let it be known on this board that I cant stand his play. The amount of defensemen the Sabres have accumulated. He's expendable.

never gonna happen bud.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Myers being traded is a positive thought. I look towards this future.

I would like to see him with a different coaching staff, and I don't mean just a different HEAD coach, assistants as well. I see too many of our Defensemen making the SAME mistakes he does.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

right now we have two top four D on our roster in Myers and Ehrhoff I guess you could throw Pysyk's name in their as well. He's not expendable at least until one of NZ or RR establish them selves as top four guys.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

What dont you like about his play? I am still quite high on Myers and am not worried at all.

You dont trade top 4 dmen with his potential. The only other time would maybe be Jack Johnson from the Kings to Blue Jackets. He is a very strong asset to have in the rebuild as he is a proven commodity with upside.

WYFR

StanleyCupSabres
Nov 3, 2011
North Carolina
Another positive thing to look forward to is our depth in net. We've got a good number of decent to good net minder prospects, behind Hackett there's Makarov, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Cnapp, and Petersen. I'm no expert in these guys but from what I've read and what little I've seen we've got some future between the pipes.

I'm really interested to see who comes out of the goalie log jam in Rochester on top, they say competition drives results.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Another positive thing to look forward to is our depth in net. We've got a good number of decent to good net minder prospects, behind Hackett there's Makarov, Ullmark, Lieuwen, and Cnapp. I'm no expert in these guys but from what I've read and what little I've seen we've got some future between the pipes.

I'm really interested to see who comes out of the goalie log jam in Rochester on top, they say competition drives results.

Makarov can't get PT.

Knapp has pretty much been a tire fire in the pros.

Lieuwen? Can't picture him being anything more than an NHL backup at best.

Ullmark and Petersen are really our best hopes.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Roy was effective PKing, on PP and as a two way center. He put up roughly 70pts a year before injuries hit. Most of that as our #1 center after the co-captains left. I don't think there is a chance in hell Grigs becomes that type of player.

Well, there goes Joshjull again - writing off the talent pool.;)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What dont you like about his play? I am still quite high on Myers and am not worried at all.

You dont trade top 4 dmen with his potential. The only other time would maybe be Jack Johnson from the Kings to Blue Jackets. He is a very strong asset to have in the rebuild as he is a proven commodity with upside.
What I don't like is his lack of awareness on the ice when in his own zone. His -6 this season says that already. I don't like how he rushes up and joins the attack, this is not the CHL/OHL/QMJHL where he can use his size to just bulldoze thru. He needs to be more sound defensively, he needs to aim his shots not just blast a slap shot and pray it goes in. His regression can prove ALL of that without watching him on the ice. Ruff misused him and those bad habits are still with him.

It's not his play, it's his birth place. Canadiens don't bust and aren't ever selfish.
That's not true and that's taking what I said a bit out of extreme context but generally we produce better high end talent. Prove me wrong cause I can start from Gretzky and work my way down to Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares to name just a few.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
it's going to take 2-3 years of sucking and drafting premium talent for the Sabres to get to a point of playoff legitimacy again. This stage is simply the "suffering" the Sabres need to endure to get to that point.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
connor_mcdavid.jpg

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Not to agree with badnewspoe but "as of right NOW,"

Grigs is every stereotype of a Russian player.......

Lazy, selfish, doesn't hit, afraid he's going to go back home, etc., etc....

I'll take more top end Canadians on the Sabres any day.....it's gotta be back to the Connection days were we had a Sabres player on the Canadian Olympic team...if we had two, we'd be a solid playoff team. Hate that it's a fact.......like someone else said, there are basis' for these stereotypes......granted, as the years progress, things are changing and slowly those stereotypes are being broken down but.....

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
What I don't like is his lack of awareness on the ice when in his own zone. His -6 this season says that already. I don't like how he rushes up and joins the attack, this is not the CHL/OHL/QMJHL where he can use his size to just bulldoze thru. He needs to be more sound defensively, he needs to aim his shots not just blast a slap shot and pray it goes in. His regression can prove ALL of that without watching him on the ice. Ruff misused him and those bad habits are still with him.

That's not true and that's taking what I said a bit out of extreme context but generally we produce better high end talent. Prove me wrong cause I can start from Gretzky and work my way down to Crosby, Stamkos and Tavares to name just a few.

I will say that it was his ability to move the puck up on the attack that got us all so excited in his rookie year.

I think +- is a worthless stat unless it is a major amount (Like +50 or -50).

Even though he has a -6, I have been impressed with his play this year, and the last couple of games he has really shown some strong promise.

Also, regarding the talent levels between nations, the Canadians produce so many NHLers due to the fact that Hockey is the one major sport for the Country. That doesn't make Canadians better than any other nations, it just means that there are more of them.

If I am a GM I dont care where my players are from as long as they can play. If it's all Russians then I dont care as long as they win.

Canada is a great country but if you plugged in the numbers it's not surprising that they produce a lot of high end talent. Just like the U.S. and football. Honestly the U.S. or Russia might produce a better Star per Player ratio with Hockey. But it shouldnt matter.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not to agree with badnewspoe but "as of right NOW,"

Grigs is every stereotype of a Russian player.......

Lazy, selfish, doesn't hit, afraid he's going to go back home, etc., etc....

I'll take more top end Canadians on the Sabres any day.....it's gotta be back to the Connection days were we had a Sabres player on the Canadian Olympic team...if we had two, we'd be a solid playoff team. Hate that it's a fact.......like someone else said, there are basis' for these stereotypes......granted, as the years progress, things are changing and slowly those stereotypes are being broken down but.....

Grigorenko is selfish? :shakehead

Name two Russian players who play anything like Grigorenko. I'm pretty sure every Russian player stereotype includes the ability to skate fast.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I will say that it was his ability to move the puck up on the attack that got us all so excited in his rookie year.

I think +- is a worthless stat unless it is a major amount (Like +50 or -50).

Even though he has a -6, I have been impressed with his play this year, and the last couple of games he has really shown some strong promise.

Also, regarding the talent levels between nations, the Canadians produce so many NHLers due to the fact that Hockey is the one major sport for the Country. That doesn't make Canadians better than any other nations, it just means that there are more of them.

If I am a GM I dont care where my players are from as long as they can play. If it's all Russians then I dont care as long as they win.

Canada is a great country but if you plugged in the numbers it's not surprising that they produce a lot of high end talent. Just like the U.S. and football. Honestly the U.S. or Russia might produce a better Star per Player ratio with Hockey. But it shouldnt matter.

It does because the fact that we're cheering for all the players from every corner of the world on our team isn't enough to argue about...

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As I posted in another thread and I quote.

and I repeat, too many players these days don't play for the love, they play for the money. Myers being one and of course he's American. Hodgson got a contract and got his money and yet he's out there competing and trying, in the off season he's in Toronto working out why? Canadian boys love the game.

So yeah it kinda is a quality we posses.

This is where things get intellectually insulting. You are deluding your own intelligence so that you see what you want to see. Hodgson is working harder than Myers, on what basis? Nevermind that Myers has been in Canada since he was, what, 10? More Canadians per capita may love the game than other nations, but NHL players from across the world love the game at an equal rate. You think there aren't Canadian players who don't play for the money? There are more such Canadian players than players from any other nation. The idea that Canadian NHL players are more likely to "love the game" is ridiculous. Canada produces the most talent, the most character players, the most money-motivated players, the most soft players, the most tough players, the most hard-working players, and the most lazy players. It's pretty simple, really: Canada produces the most players. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not saying American players are bad, Olympics speak volumes for American born hockey players but Myers is a regressing sloth who plays like he's only in it for the money, not the glory a Stanley Cup can bring. Hockey-playing boys all they dream about is holding that Stanley Cup. That's a quality you get with hockey players. The Stanley Cup amongst hockey players equals your Super Bowl.

Fixed that for you so as to save you from further embarrassment.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

What you said is that Canadiens play hockey for the love of the game because they grow up with it, but Americans don't play hockey for the love of the game - mostly play for money - because they care more about the NFL and NBA. Therefore any NHL team is better off with more Canadiens because of both talent and level of dedication.

To support this ridiculously narrow-minded claim, you've cited Tyler Myers (a dual-citizen). Congratulations on that leap of logic.

Now, to productively debate your bias...
An American that chooses hockey as a sport, and has the talent level to make the NHL, obviously wouldn't put the NFL, NBA, or putt-putt golf as a bigger priority so I fail to see how any sport (bigger or smaller) has any effect on how that person dedicates themselves to the sport they chose. Just because MORE Americans choose other sports doesn't mean one damn thing...not one inference can be made...about the small % of athletes that choose hockey.

I've grown up playing baseball, football, and hockey, and never once in my 30+ combined years of competitive sports ever made a distinction between the level of commitment of my teammates in each. I observed various levels in all sports, and that level would generally go up as the level of competition rose. I see the same qualities in my Canadien athlete friends as my American friends. Maybe you're not myopic, but your perspective on this subject sure as hell is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad