Why I'm excited for this team

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Even in this horrific start, the majority of our 18-23 year olds look like they're going to be worth having in five years.

The majority of vets are so useless that it's obvious why we decided to go into a rebuild.

A pair of top 3 picks in the next two years giving us a real top line.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I tend to agree with this. You put a lot of it together and, in my mind at least, shows why we needed this a while ago instead of the temporary caulking on a damaged hull

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think the best thing about this team is you're looking at 5 defensemen you'll be able to write down on the lineup for quite a long time. You have Ehrhoff and Zadorov for the lefties and then Myers, Pysyck and Risto on the right side. A decent number 2 center signed for long-term and some mix and match wingers. A high end center would go a long way to cementing the forward mix.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think the best thing about this team is you're looking at 5 defensemen you'll be able to write down on the lineup for quite a long time. You have Ehrhoff and Zadorov for the lefties and then Myers, Pysyck and Risto on the right side. A decent number 2 center signed for long-term and some mix and match wingers. A high end center would go a long way to cementing the forward mix.

That's a solid/exceptional unit.

Now we need to cultivate a sniper or two.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Even Hodgson is looking great on a bad team.

10 GP, 2 Goals, 5 Assists, 7 Points

Add whoever we get this year, Reinhart? Nylander? and we could be off to a great start in this rebuild.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
And we've got checking centers for ****ing days if everyone pans out.

Even if we don't get that top flight offensive pivot, bookending Hodgson with Larsson and Girgensons' lines will mean lots of north-south play and solid defense from the top 9, and we haven't had that kind of depth since the Hasek teams.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
And we've got checking centers for ****ing days if everyone pans out.

Even if we don't get that top flight offensive pivot, bookending Hodgson with Larsson and Girgensons' lines will mean lots of north-south play and solid defense from the top 9, and we haven't had that kind of depth since the Hasek teams.

Great center depth and defensive depth; that's how you build contenders.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Throw McCabe in with those LHD, he's a gamer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We are going to have such a plethora of options to pick from to form a great bottom 6 IMO

Some may be in top 6 who knows .

Baptiste
Kea
Possler
Bailey
Nelson
Catenacci
Sundher
Compher

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I like the fact that some players are trending up:

Zadorov
Pysyk
Luke Adam
J G-Leduc
Phil Varone
Enroth
Lieuwen
Ristolainen
Flynn
Myers (yes: preseason and about the last 5 games)
Larsson
Girgensons
Prospects: McCabe, Hurley, Baptiste, Possler, Compher, Ullmark, Petersen
Sacco (maybe. PK is much improved this year. Goaltending great, but skaters do their part)

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
There's still not a top tier offensive talent in the pipeline. Until there's one of those, I see no reason to get excited about the long term prospects of the forwards.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
In 1-3 years...

Girgensons-(Rhinehart, McDavid?)-XXXXX
Ennis-Hodgson-Armia
Foligno-Larsson-Flynn
Tropp-XXXXX-Kaleta/XXXXX

Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Zadorov-Myers
McCabe/McNabb-Ristolainen

Not bad, but still needs more top-end scoring talent - at least a winger or two.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The defense could be really good if the cap goes up and everyone pans out. I'm not the biggest Myers fan in regards to his IQ and consistency but if the guy is on our 2nd or even 3rd pairing in a few years who knows what he could do. Almost a reversal of the co-captain years when over qualified forwards were beating up on 3rd and 4th lines. Another scenario is Myers continues his play of the last 5 games throughout the rest of the season and breaks out offensively. Trade him in a few years for a great winger.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There's still not a top tier offensive talent in the pipeline. Until there's one of those, I see no reason to get excited about the long term prospects of the forwards.

Please move this post to the pessimist thread. Thanks.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
We are going to have such a plethora of options to pick from to form a great bottom 6 IMO

Some may be in top 6 who knows .

Baptiste
Kea
Possler
Bailey
Nelson
Catenacci
Sundher
Compher

Its seems like there are always dark horse prospects that have a big impact so even though we don't have an "elite" forward prospect, hopefully one of these guys, armia, or girogrenko can come through.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Only problem with the rebuild is we have to be patient with Regier after 16 years of frustration. Going to be difficult.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Please move this post to the pessimist thread. Thanks.

How about moving it to the realist thread? I disagree with him that there are no reasons to be excited about the forwards however there are no superstars. On the defensive side of things there seems to be a core of players that are NHL caliber, that will hopefully only get better the more they play and is a position that doesn't need to be addressed for now. On the offensive side of things we're heading towards having three above average yet equal lines with players maybe scoring 45-60 points a season. Hodgson would be a second line centre on most teams. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, not saying I don't want him in a Sabres uniform but he just isn't a top centre or top tier scorer. Obviously Hodgson and his agent agree or they wouldn't have taken a six year deal paying him 4.25mil a year. There is enough potential talent to be competitive but you need top 20/30 point scorer(s) and a decent goalie to make long playoff runs. You could argue both sides as to whether we have a decent goalie in the system but it's much harder to make an argument that there is a top 20 or 30 scorer in the bunch.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I realize his ice-time has been quite limited so far but how has Larsson looked? Everything I've read has been positive but wouldn't mind heariing a bit more... Also, has he been playing C exclusively?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I realize his ice-time has been quite limited so far but how has Larsson looked? Everything I've read has been positive but wouldn't mind heariing a bit more... Also, has he been playing C exclusively?

Looks good defensively and on the forecheck. Has played exclusively at center except for maybe a few shifts earlier on. His faceoffs have been uneven game to game. Not much in the way of offensive production but that goes for the whole team, and he's spent a lot of time on the 4th line.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
How about moving it to the realist thread? I disagree with him that there are no reasons to be excited about the forwards however there are no superstars. On the defensive side of things there seems to be a core of players that are NHL caliber, that will hopefully only get better the more they play and is a position that doesn't need to be addressed for now. On the offensive side of things we're heading towards having three above average yet equal lines with players maybe scoring 45-60 points a season. Hodgson would be a second line centre on most teams. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, not saying I don't want him in a Sabres uniform but he just isn't a top centre or top tier scorer. Obviously Hodgson and his agent agree or they wouldn't have taken a six year deal paying him 4.25mil a year. There is enough potential talent to be competitive but you need top 20/30 point scorer(s) and a decent goalie to make long playoff runs. You could argue both sides as to whether we have a decent goalie in the system but it's much harder to make an argument that there is a top 20 or 30 scorer in the bunch.

Elite offensive forwards have yet to come.

We'll have our shot at them...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad