Why I think the NHL Winter Classic Should be in Phoenix

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
With the Winter Classic Game coming up in Washington State shortly, I got to thinking about future games.
Arizona comes immediately to mind as a great choice next year (assuming the arena situation is settled soon).
Here's my thoughts:
- Ideally the Coyotes would play a team from a large US TV market. My first choice would be the Chicago Blackhawks.
There's a large Chicago population in the Phoenix area and I'm fairly certain that people living in Chicago would love a reason to escape the Midwest weather in late December. I considered a Western Canada team, but that wouldn't be good for US TV ratings. Maybe 2nd choice would be the Rangers or Bruins. All about TV ratings.
- More than likely Bedard & Cooley will finish at the top of the rookie of the year vote. You could promote it around them.
- The Coyotes are a young exciting team to watch and it would be beneficial for Bettman to show he's been right all along about his support of keeping the team in AZ. Give the Coyotes a high profile game, it would be a PR infusion for the organization.
- The weather would be perfect. Low 40's at night, low 60's during the day. Put it at chase field and open the roof at game time, maybe late afternoon. How much better for the fans than having to sit through a game in Boston or NY with temps in the 20's or 30's?
- Since the Coyotes will be playing in a 5000 seat arena for the next few years, how about giving them a home game with 30,000 seats, the majority of them quite affordable.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
With the Winter Classic Game coming up in Washington State shortly, I got to thinking about future games.
Arizona comes immediately to mind as a great choice next year (assuming the arena situation is settled soon).
Here's my thoughts:
- Ideally the Coyotes would play a team from a large US TV market. My first choice would be the Chicago Blackhawks.
There's a large Chicago population in the Phoenix area and I'm fairly certain that people living in Chicago would love a reason to escape the Midwest weather in late December. I considered a Western Canada team, but that wouldn't be good for US TV ratings. Maybe 2nd choice would be the Rangers or Bruins. All about TV ratings.
- More than likely Bedard & Cooley will finish at the top of the rookie of the year vote. You could promote it around them.
- The Coyotes are a young exciting team to watch and it would be beneficial for Bettman to show he's been right all along about his support of keeping the team in AZ. Give the Coyotes a high profile game, it would be a PR infusion for the organization.
- The weather would be perfect. Low 40's at night, low 60's during the day. Put it at chase field and open the roof at game time, maybe late afternoon. How much better for the fans than having to sit through a game in Boston or NY with temps in the 20's or 30's?
- Since the Coyotes will be playing in a 5000 seat arena for the next few years, how about giving them a home game with 30,000 seats, the majority of them quite affordable.
HeLL, I'd be alright if the Coyotes moved to bank one ballpark and the Diamondbacks move to Desert Ridge!

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Here's my thoughts:
1. No one gives a shit about the Coyotes outside of the Valley.
2. Barely anyone in the Valley gives a shit about the Coyotes.
3. There's two more years at Mullett, tops.
4. There's about a 50/50 chance the roof is even operational on any given day.
5. There's more than 30k seats, but affordable is a stretch.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
1. No one gives a shit about the Coyotes outside of the Valley.
2. Barely anyone in the Valley gives a shit about the Coyotes.
3. There's two more years at Mullett, tops.
4. There's about a 50/50 chance the roof is even operational on any given day.
5. There's more than 30k seats, but affordable is a stretch.
You really have a deep seated contempt for the Coyotes, bordering hatred. Do you think anyone gives a shit about the Kraken outside of Seattle? News flash, the Kraken are in the Winter Classic this year.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
You really have a deep seated contempt for the Coyotes, bordering hatred. Do you think anyone gives a shit about the Kraken outside of Seattle? News flash, the Kraken are in the Winter Classic this year.
We had a discussion a while ago and came to the conclusion that it would be too expensive to install a ice rink and make it functional for just 1 game!

Reactions: Jakey53

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The Kraken have a pretty decent following outside of Seattle. Meanwhile, the home squad can't sell out 4600 seats. They aren't getting a Winter Classic.
Screenshot_20231227_165028_Messages.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Doaner

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
HIs comments pertained to the valley and I read them more has a disdain for the lack of support therein.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Here's my thoughts:
Thanks for the positivity.

A few things:

- Cooley isn't likely to be in any conversations for Rookie of the Year.
- As much as I avoid attending our games vs. the Hawks for the very reason you cite, that would be the right choice for an opponent.
- They don't open or close the roof with fans in the building anymore. It's one of the reasons that Chase Field is "totaled," and we are told that we need an entirely new ball park. They used to open the roof before game time, accompanied by dramatic music, and I can report that this was at least as exciting as when I watch my garage door opener function from my driveway.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I want that all star game that we lost out on, once we (if we ever) get a new arena. I don't see the thrill of seeing an outdoor hockey game in springtime weather, watching the players skate through puddles and fog. Nah, I think the thrill is in a 60,000 person crowd dressed in winter gear, holding hot peppermint schnapps or spiked hot coffee in their hands, watching a hockey game in the outdoors.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
The Kraken have a pretty decent following outside of Seattle. Meanwhile, the home squad can't sell out 4600 seats. They aren't getting a Winter Classic.
View attachment 791810
Where do the Kraken have a descent following outside of Seattle? Please show me, I had no idea. My sister works for Dime Savings on Long Island. The Islanders are giving tickets away.

Attachments

• IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 4

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Where do the Kraken have a descent following outside of Seattle? Please show me, I had no idea. My sister works for Dime Savings on Long Island. The Islanders are giving tickets away.
Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, plus people in BC. I just got back from Vancouver I even saw Kraken jerseys at the Flyers-Canucks game.

Watch Parties | Seattle Kraken | Seattle Kraken

By comparison, count these against the number of Kraken ones.
Fans | Arizona Coyotes | Arizona Coyotes

And what do the Isles have to do with this? But since you brought them up, no, they don't deserve a Winter Classic, either.

Every team offers comped tickets and low-priced tickets to sponsors. Maybe not the Coyotes, but most teams with regular-sized arenas. One of the owners of the law firm where I worked had Suns season tickets and the Suns offered all 120 employees free tickets a few times a season. Not marquee games, but still free.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad