Why haven’t the Flyers blown it up yet?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Theyve held on to their top forwards Giroux, Simmonds, Couturier, Konecny, and Voracek for years.

They’ve had the same top scoring defender Gostisbehere for years now too.

Their top 6 scorers are the same as last year and the top 5 scorers now are same of top 6 three years ago.

Why are they holding on to all of these players and not making moves? It’s obvious these players on the Flyers are not good enough to win and lead.

They need to move pieces for more defense, a goaltender, or more depth. Something has to happen.

I have no idea how Flyers just keep holding on to these players now for YEARS while being mediocre at best. What are they waiting for? Why keep the core of a lottery team year after year now?

Giroux should stay. He’s a top player in the NHL, but man.... change it up and give the guy something different. Everyone else should be out or available and the team should go in a different direction. Even if they trade some of these players for prospects, at least give the Flyers fans some hope for some kind of change and future before Giroux gets too old.

Mind blowing that team has basically stayed the same for so long now. Do they magically think they are just all of a sudden going to be a elite team with their current top players? No chance that’s going to happen.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Hextall was trying to build a team from youth. The dilemma was that you had these veterans who would be past their prime by the time the youth developed, but to trade them for youth would make a team completely of youth with no veteran help. So the hope was to have the youth develop with veteran leadership and then have cap space to go after the pieces needed to fill in the holes.

Hextall was taking a team with no prospects and no cap space and bad contracts and trying to get the team in a position where he had cap space and prospects which he did. Then he got fired.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I believe last season only the Penguins and Tampa's top ~5-6 scorers got more points combined than the Flyers top guys.

The problem for years has not been the guys at the top (though logically they should move Simmonds)... but only being a 2 line, ~3 Dman team with inconsistent net-minding.

That is getting closer to being resolved with guys like Lindblom and Sanheim showing very well this season, Konecny taking game to next level, and now Hart in NHL, Myers on way, alongside quite a few other young guys.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Cmon op.... Giroux, Voracek, couturier, Ghost all had HUGE season last year. Only Ghost has down year so far. They are not the problem.

Added JVR expecting decent secondary pts but got injured right away. Kind of a pattern in Philly if you are paying attention.

Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom all young and have nice pedigrees. Will take some time.

Nothing to blow up really.

Simmonds should be traded at tdl and i expect 1 team to overpay like its the tradition.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I believe last season only the Penguins and Tampa's top ~5-6 scorers got more points combined than the Flyers top guys.

The problem for years has not been the guys at the top (though logically they should move Simmonds)... but only being a 2 line, ~3 Dman team with inconsistent net-minding.

That is getting closer to being resolved with guys like Lindblom and Sanheim showing very well this season, Konecny taking game to next level, and now Hart in NHL, Myers on way, alongside quite a few other young guys.

Problem is they are losing and their top players have been same players for years

If there’s other issues, you make moves to help those issues. By doing that you move some of the top end players.

Expecting a few young guys to develop to automatically make the Flyers a real contender isn’t going to happen. Almost every organization has young players coming up and helping out soon.

Flyers should be making a ton of moves. Starting at the top. The mediocre culture they have isn’t anything that good and they should change it if they’re wanting to expect different results.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Theyve held on to their top forwards Giroux, Simmonds, Couturier, Konecny, and Voracek for years.

They’ve had the same top scoring defender Gostisbehere for years now too.

Their top 6 scorers are the same as last year and the top 5 scorers now are same of top 6 three years ago.

Why are they holding on to all of these players and not making moves? It’s obvious these players on the Flyers are not good enough to win and lead.

They need to move pieces for more defense, a goaltender, or more depth. Something has to happen.

I have no idea how Flyers just keep holding on to these players now for YEARS while being mediocre at best. What are they waiting for? Why keep the core of a lottery team year after year now?

Giroux should stay. He’s a top player in the NHL, but man.... change it up and give the guy something different. Everyone else should be out or available and the team should go in a different direction. Even if they trade some of these players for prospects, at least give the Flyers fans some hope for some kind of change and future before Giroux gets too old.

Mind blowing that team has basically stayed the same for so long now. Do they magically think they are just all of a sudden going to be a elite team with their current top players? No chance that’s going to happen.
So you move out the core players that actually deliver and don't try to improve the weaker positions like goaltending and coaching? Hmmm....

People often act like Giroux and Voracek are 40. In fact the Flyers have a core that will still be there for years a very young defence that is though very promising for tge years to come and a black hole in goal. If Carter Hart can take over soon and coaching is solved the Flyers could make a leap as soon as next season. I see an issue with the forward prospects. Obviously more can expected out of Patrick and Konecny. If they improve the Flyers could be very good without having to move anyone, let alone blowing it all up.

Reactions: glovesave_35

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They're too confident of a team and from what I remember they've never blown up their team. Plus it's not really their style to do so, if there's an error they try and solve the issue by doing the odd trade.

The closest to blowing up I've seen from them in recent memory was trading Richards and Carter on the same day.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Speaking of the Flyers, I remember the last time they rebuilt. Gagne - Richards - Carter was their top line in 2010 when they went to the Cup final, but couldn't get it done. Then two years later all three are on the Kings, and win a Cup.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Their fate relies on if Nolan Patrick ever reaches his potential and if Hart can be a #1. Patrick gives me Bennett vibes though, I don't think he is going to be a superstar, but you never know.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Their fate relies on if Nolan Patrick ever reaches his potential and if Hart can be a #1. Patrick gives me Bennett vibes though, I don't think he is going to be a superstar, but you never know.
wrong about Patrick. We don't have anything banked on him. When it comes to him, we're playing with house money.

You're right about Carter Hart, tho. If he's not real, then we are 100% f***ed.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
wrong about Patrick. We don't have anything banked on him. When it comes to him, we're playing with house money.

You're right about Carter Hart, tho. If he's not real, then we are 100% ****ed.

Patrick and Hart both being studs probably puts you guys over the top though to be real contenders.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

You're right about Carter Hart, tho. If he's not real, then we are 100% ****ed.

Patrick and Hart both being studs probably puts you guys over the top though to be real contenders.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The Flyers don't seem to be a team that likes the rebuild option. I'm not saying they should change their philosophy, but it seems like where they are and where they've been for so many years is right where that philosophy will get you. You're in no man's land.
Sure, it might seem more "honorable" but who cares about that, I would want to win a cup, and as many cups as possible.
And no, changing the draft lottery shouldn't be an option because teams like Flyers don't want to make that hard decision on a rebuild. What ever route of team building you choose, you have to be prepared to take the outcome of that decision as well.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Blaming Philly for not blowing things up? Really?

Lindros
Lecavalier
Pronger
Bryzgalov
Carter and Richards
Schenn for picks
Coaches, gms

Made their share of big moves imo

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hextall rebuilt the prospect pool which was the goal...all while not tanking.

He failed in not firing Hakstol and not making more moves this summer to make the team better. He paid the price with his job.

Fletch has been on the job less than a month. He fired Hak and Murphy. This season is lost already so hopefully he sells off guys like Simmonds, Raffl and Folin while also looking to make trades that help the team next year and they future.

Clearly the OP is "missing" some things when he mentions the Flyers still not trading 21 year old Konecny.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Problem is they are losing and their top players have been same players for years

If there’s other issues, you make moves to help those issues. By doing that you move some of the top end players.

Expecting a few young guys to develop to automatically make the Flyers a real contender isn’t going to happen. Almost every organization has young players coming up and helping out soon.

Flyers should be making a ton of moves. Starting at the top. The mediocre culture they have isn’t anything that good and they should change it if they’re wanting to expect different results.

Didn't terrible coach Hakstol make the playoffs in 3 of the 4 last year's?

Show me a team that has made a ton of moves. That just doesn't happen in the salary cap era.

And speaking of the cap, the Flyers were hampered by terrible contracts given out by Holmgren, and have only recently gotten out of salary cap hell.

If Hart & the kids are the real deal, G & Voracek have enough left in the tank to be vet leadership even if they aren't still in their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->