Why hasn't Baltimore ever worked for a hockey ?

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
After visiting Baltimore and doing a little history digging I found that the city has had multiple teams in the past . But it looks like mostly poor management is what failed those franchises . with exception of the bandits .
Just wondering why it couldn't possibly support a SPHL or ECHL team ?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
After visiting Baltimore and doing a little history digging I found that the city has had multiple teams in the past . But it looks like mostly poor management is what failed those franchises . with exception of the bandits .
Just wondering why it couldn't possibly support a SPHL or ECHL team ?

The biggest problem is that the arena is an aging dumphole.

Baltimore considers itself a major league city. At one point, it had the Bullets, Orioles and Colts - three of the four major leagues. The Bullets left for the brand new Capital Centre because the arena was a dumphole back then. The Capital Centre has been replaced, but 50 miles north in Baltimore, THE SAME ARENA is still there.

No one would go watch SPHL or ECHL hockey in Baltimore. No one.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Like Eddie said, arena that is incapable of hosting a minor league tenant and potential fan base just isn't there.

The Baltimore Skipjacks drew terrible support despite being affiliated with the nearby Washington Capitals. They actually suffered from hosting too many games on the same dates since their fanbase clearly was choosing the big club over the other. The Capitals played in Baltimore to a good crowd once a few years ago, but I highly doubt minor league hockey would ever fit on the Baltimore sports scene. If you live in the suburbs, which is where most of their fan base would be drawn from, you're going to follow the Capitals, not some random minor league team nearby.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

AHLFAN

Mar 10, 2008
Shrewsbury, PA
The City of Baltimore is in Contract talks with Developers to Overhaul Royal Farms Arena. Both of the Developers will privately fund the project. The starting estimate is $150 millions for the overhaul. You can research the headlines but The Baltimore Sun and local Business Papers won't let you read the article unless you are a subscriber.

Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The City of Baltimore is in Contract talks with Developers to Overhaul Royal Farms Arena. Both of the Developers will privately fund the project. The starting estimate is $150 millions for the overhaul. You can research the headlines but The Baltimore Sun and local Business Papers won't let you read the article unless you are a subscriber.

That's a comically large amount of money to renovate an inadequate structure. They could tear it down and start over and build a modern 15,000 seat arena and still have money left over, but hey, go throw that money down the hole, KD...

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They had their chance at the bigs in 67. If one of the NHLs 6 expansion teams had been unable to begin play, Baltimore would have been granted a team. Since then, each minor league team has had consistently low attendance (except for inaugural season Bandits apparently). There have been talks of the Caps trying to buy Hershey and move them to Baltimore, but that will never happen. And, as previously mentioned, the arena is a shithole that needs to be scrapped and have a new one take its place.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
It's not the cities money. The main Developer is the same one that redid the arena in Seattle.

Oooooooooooohhhhh… so another concert venue that might try to mix in a sport or two. That’s the MO for OVG, even if they’ve hit one from the point with the Kraken.

Judging from the times I’ve seen the place on TV (WAY back in the days of indoor soccer on TV), does that arena really even situate hockey in a fan-accessible manner?

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
outline.com gets you around a lot of paywalls.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Judging from the times I’ve seen the place on TV (WAY back in the days of indoor soccer on TV), does that arena really even situate hockey in a fan-accessible manner?

Not really. I'd describe the configuration as a "squared off U", meaning the corners of the bowl are at 90-degree angles, thus creating a lot of dead space on the floor. It's kind of like a bigger version of the Civic Coliseum in Knoxville in that way.

Reactions: JMCx4

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Oooooooooooohhhhh… so another concert venue that might try to mix in a sport or two. That’s the MO for OVG, even if they’ve hit one from the point with the Kraken.

Looks to be serviceable but less than desirable.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I was in the arena-I believe it was called the Baltimore Civic Center at that time-in 1989 or 1990. It wasn't anything special, but it was functional for sure.

When hockey took off in Cincinnati in the early 90s with the original version of the Cincinnati Cyclones, the Cincinnati Gardens wasn't anything to write home about. No air conditioning, inadequate bathrooms and concession stands and messy parking when the crowds were big-but the place was packed almost all of the time.

I'm sure there's more to it than the arena. If U2 or the Rolling Stones (or any of the other absurd geriatric rock bands) would announce dates at the Baltimore Arena, it would sell out in no time flat. There are very few arenas which will stop people from attending a desired product. I think it's an easy and probably inaccurate excuse for the reason why hockey has failed in Baltimore.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I was in the arena-I believe it was called the Baltimore Civic Center at that time-in 1989 or 1990. It wasn't anything special, but it was functional for sure.

When hockey took off in Cincinnati in the early 90s with the original version of the Cincinnati Cyclones, the Cincinnati Gardens wasn't anything to write home about. No air conditioning, inadequate bathrooms and concession stands and messy parking when the crowds were big-but the place was packed almost all of the time.

I'm sure there's more to it than the arena. If U2 or the Rolling Stones (or any of the other absurd geriatric rock bands) would announce dates at the Baltimore Arena, it would sell out in no time flat. There are very few arenas which will stop people from attending a desired product. I think it's an easy and probably inaccurate excuse for the reason why hockey has failed in Baltimore.

I mean, fans being unable to attend a desired product and a desirable hockey arena aren't the same thing. Trois-Rivières has all the makings of a good ECHL market, but the old Colisée de Trois-Rivières certainly wouldn't be compatible with the ECHL. The Richmond Coliseum is the same thing. So is Martin Luther King Jr. Arena. And those are ones just off the top of my head. There's more than "can it host hockey and hockey fans."

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I mean, fans being unable to attend a desired product and a desirable hockey arena aren't the same thing. Trois-Rivières has all the makings of a good ECHL market, but the old Colisée de Trois-Rivières certainly wouldn't be compatible with the ECHL. The Richmond Coliseum is the same thing. So is Martin Luther King Jr. Arena. And those are ones just off the top of my head. There's more than "can it host hockey and hockey fans."

Excuse me. Getting Colorado Springs flashbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad