Why has Voracek fallen?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I was just looking at the CSS rankings and noticed that Jakub Voarcek fell to something like 22nd.. I remember not that long ago people were saying that he would go top 3, if not #1... Why the drop?
He didn't drop in the CSS rankings, he rose. He was #7 in their QMJHL rankings before and now he's their 3rd top Q prospect, 15th overall. But everyone else has him top 10 overall, both now and before.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
ive said it before, i dont think he is all that good

well I have seen him play many times, the guy is one of the most talented players the mooseheads have ever had putting him IMO up with players like Alex Tanguay, Ladislav Nagy for talent. Voracek actually is more pro ready than what the other two were, very strong, amazing vision and playmaking on the ice, and he is great down around the net and down low, very good hands with the puck and has a flair in the offensive zone.

Leb_Hitch*

That's a good sign because if he goes to like 30 after the Sens win the cup they'll draft him and get the steal of the draft

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
well I have seen him play many times, the guy is one of the most talented players the mooseheads have ever had putting him IMO up with players like Alex Tanguay, Ladislav Nagy for talent. Voracek actually is more pro ready than what the other two were, very strong, amazing vision and playmaking on the ice, and he is great down around the net and down low, very good hands with the puck and has a flair in the offensive zone.

actually i agree with you, ive only seen him 3-5 times, i think he is extremely talented, but i think alot of people are looking like stats, i feel he is top 5 (not #1 like some people think though)

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He should be in the top 5 for sure IMO. People must be basing it somewhat on stats cause the guy obviously has insane talent. His stats would be much better could anyone on his line keep up with him or even see his passes coming. He must make 5-6 incredible passes a game where his teammates have no idea what's going on then all of a sudden they have the puck. It's like he's always 1 or 2 plays ahead of everyone else.

turnbuckle*

I think people should look at it more in the sense of why did others in front of him rise?

I don't think many would argue that Kane is a better player - and hard to argue, after seeing Cherepanov, that he should be ranked behind Voracek, but scouts had to see him on a larger stage, or in many cases, see him for the first time. Same thing with Turris at the Junior A Challenge - a lot of scouts saw him at the tournament and came away very impressed, and afterwards ranked him ahead of Voracek. It wasn't a question of Voracek doing anything wrong necessarily, just scouts getting their first good look at Turris this year and really coming away impressed.

Same goes with Gagner - early on Voracek was well ahead of him, but when Gagner started racking up the points like crazy and earned a spot of Team Canada as a 17-year-old, people started slotting him ahead of Voracek not because Jakub had done much wrong necessarily.

Keep in mind that the top ten is very topsy turvy - McKeen's had Ellerby second overall at the start of the season, but the fine play of others and inconsistencies in Ellerby's play has seen him drop out of the top seven, and he now sits behind two other WHL defencemen in our top ten.

Voracek started the season franked at the top based on his play in the under 18's and after an impressive CHL debut, but ten other players have impressed us more to this point of the season, and right now we project them to be better pros.

As the year goes along and he's seen a lot more by the scouting fraternity there are whispers about Voracek's overall projection for NHL competition. Some aren't convinced he has top-level speed. "He works hard, but I don't know what makes him a top-two-line NHL" opined an NHL director of player personnel this past week.

Playoff and the Under 18s in Finland will have a huge bearing on the final list. There's no reason why a fellow like Voracek with strong play down the stretch and an impressive playoff or Under 18 couldn't end up in the top five for the final rankings. There's not a lot to choose between the top dozen prospects.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think people should look at it more in the sense of why did others in front of him rise?

I don't think many would argue that Kane is a better player - and hard to argue, after seeing Cherepanov, that he should be ranked behind Voracek, but scouts had to see him on a larger stage, or in many cases, see him for the first time. Same thing with Turris at the Junior A Challenge - a lot of scouts saw him at the tournament and came away very impressed, and afterwards ranked him ahead of Voracek. It wasn't a question of Voracek doing anything wrong necessarily, just scouts getting their first good look at Turris this year and really coming away impressed.

Same goes with Gagner - early on Voracek was well ahead of him, but when Gagner started racking up the points like crazy and earned a spot of Team Canada as a 17-year-old, people started slotting him ahead of Voracek not because Jakub had done much wrong necessarily.

Keep in mind that the top ten is very topsy turvy - McKeen's had Ellerby second overall at the start of the season, but the fine play of others and inconsistencies in Ellerby's play has seen him drop out of the top seven, and he now sits behind two other WHL defencemen in our top ten.

Voracek started the season franked at the top based on his play in the under 18's and after an impressive CHL debut, but ten other players have impressed us more to this point of the season, and right now we project them to be better pros.

As the year goes along and he's seen a lot more by the scouting fraternity there are whispers about Voracek's overall projection for NHL competition. Some aren't convinced he has top-level speed. "He works hard, but I don't know what makes him a top-two-line NHL" opined an NHL director of player personnel this past week.

Playoff and the Under 18s in Finland will have a huge bearing on the final list. There's no reason why a fellow like Voracek with strong play down the stretch and an impressive playoff or Under 18 couldn't end up in the top five for the final rankings. There's not a lot to choose between the top dozen prospects.

Wisely put. I agree. Thats what happens in drafts. Some fall, not because they stink it up, but others rise because of ripping it up.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Turnbuckle : I've been following prospect seriously only since 2003 but I have never seen rankings being so different one from another (Mckeen, ISS, CSB), especially in the top 15. As an old timer (not trying to insult anybody here !!!), what's your opinion on the subject ?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Central Scouting always has a few guys who are wildly different from the general area they're located on other lists, whether they be ISS, McKeens, RedLine, HF, etc.

Personally, I find CSS useful because they measure the players and give you a real answer on size questions and for establishing the very rough area players from lesser leagues are generally being considered to go in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->