Why has Mikael Backlund's draft stock fallen so much?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Wasn't he considered to be a sure fire prospect? If I remember correctly, there were posts last year stating that he and Backstrom were going to be the next great players from Sweden.

I noticed that he has fallen out of the first round completely in some draft rankings.

Is he just having a really bad year? Or are the other players slated to go in the 1st round developing faster then him?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I thought he had alot of injury problems this year..could be wrong though.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
anyone think he has the potential to be the Kopitar of his draft class?

A guy that falls quite a bit and turns out to be a big steal?

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
anyone think he has the potential to be the Kopitar of his draft class?

A guy that falls quite a bit and turns out to be a big steal?

well kopitar was taken later than he should have because he is from a country with no record of producing hockey players so it would be a little different. im not sure why backlund has been falling, i havent been following him

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I thought I remember hearing he didn't really make a huge impact on the SEL either. I may be wrong as his stats don't look that bad at all from the SEL.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The biggest reason is, he hasn't done much this year. He also didn't even make his WJ team. I've heard he's had knee problems. How bad his knee injury is I'm not sure but he was with out question the best player that I saw last year from this years draft. I really thought he was better than Backstrom last year. An equal passer but faster, stronger and a better shot.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The biggest reason is, he hasn't done much this year. He also didn't even make his WJ team. I've heard he's had knee problems. How bad his knee injury is I'm not sure but he was with out question the best player that I saw last year from this years draft. I really thought he was better than Backstrom last year. An equal passer but faster, stronger and a better shot.

i dont think he's knees is a problem anymore. the thing is. he has had some problems with injuries, but when he has been healthy he has played pretty bad. and he was expected to have a great season for vasteras. he's point total this season is 17 gp 1goal and 2 assists. thats not enough to be a first round pick imo. at least not for a player that is expected to put up points. comparing him to backstrom right now isn't really fair. backstrom is better in every category expept maybe skating.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I thought I remember hearing he didn't really make a huge impact on the SEL either. I may be wrong as his stats don't look that bad at all from the SEL.

i think you are remembering wrong. kopitar was the only reason anyone would even bother watching sodertalje games that season. he was without a doubt their best player. he's point total would have been higher if there was some other good players one the team, but most nights he was out there alone.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, Backlund has really been sidelined with injuries all year. He hasn't looked all that great when he's back, but anyone's gonna be rusty after all that. I personally think he has the skills to make some team look like a genius stealing him in the 2nd round, provided he stays healthy and consistent in North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad