Why has Backstrom never been considered for Selke?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
One might think rather than reputation, those players are just very good.

Backstrom is better defensively than he is credited for but he never has been the best I imagine.

I'm not saying they arent very good, because they are. It's still the award were reputation matters the most.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He has been elite defensively for a decade.
By what metric?

I think you need to post up the people that are "favorites" for this award this year and compare him to them by the stats they use to determine who is a Selke caliber forward. I believe someone did it for Crosby and Bergeron to show that Sid should be in the convo. So I am sure you can find that information for your boy Backstrom.

Guys like Crosby, Bergeron, and Barkov, they aren't living on rep for the sake of it, they're known as dan good 200ft players.

I'm actually curious to see where Backstrom stacks up with those guys. Not even in a hateful way, genuinely curious.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
He's never struck me as an elite 2 way guy. Doesnt mean he isnt a great player, but there's a reason Bergeron wins it all the time.
Offensively Bergeron is a clear step below Backstrom and I'd say that while Bergeron is ahead defensively, it hasn't always been the same divide as Backstrom's edge on offense. Bergeron hasn't even had an 80 points season, he's far from an elite offensive player.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
By what metric?

I think you need to post up the people that are "favorites" for this award this year and compare him to them by the stats they use to determine who is a Selke caliber forward. I believe someone did it for Crosby and Bergeron to show that Sid should be in the convo. So I am sure you can find that information for your boy Backstrom.

Guys like Crosby, Bergeron, and Barkov, they aren't living on rep for the sake of it, they're known as dan good 200ft players.

I'm actually curious to see where Backstrom stacks up with those guys. Not even in a hateful way, genuinely curious.
I think/bet if you polled NHL players who has been the better defensive forward (not player!) throughout their careers between Backstrom and Crosby it would come out decidedly in Backstrom's favor. Crosby isn't some savant defensively, I'm sorry and one pretty nice season in that respect doesn't change this.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He's had some solid finishes in the 7-12 range which I think is about right.
I don't think hes so good that he should consistently be in the top 5 maybe a few more top 10 finishes but honestly I dont think its that big of a deal.

could be convinced otherwise though, I haven't really looked at the data.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Offensively Bergeron is a clear step below Backstrom and I'd say that while Bergeron is ahead defensively, it hasn't always been the same divide as Backstrom's edge on offense. Bergeron hasn't even had an 80 points season, he's far from an elite offensive player.
Which has nothing to do with the selke....?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Backstrom is good defensively (responsible and aware), but not amazing. Not so great that it would compensate for the lack of offensive stats. Had he put up greater offensive numbers, he'd be perceived as a stronger Selke candidate. But if one could get a lifetime Selke award for consistent two-way excellence, I would give it to Backstrom for sure.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Dumbass voters have been voting on based on ads, reputation, a few highlights and media coverage

The Selke has probably been the worst award of them all when it comes down to voting based on old reputation instead of current performance.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Backstrom is good defensively (responsible and aware), but not amazing. Not so great that it would compensate for the lack of offensive stats. Had he put up greater offensive numbers, he'd be perceived as a stronger Selke candidate. But if one could get a lifetime Selke award for consistent two-way excellence, I would give it to Backstrom for sure.
Backstrom's offensive stats have been stellar and in past years he's blown away the crop of Selke competitors. Offensively he's one of the 3 best playmakers of his era.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So many people commenting on how good Backstrom is defensively that watch him line 4 times per year.

He is the shut down center on the winningest team since he entered the league - and Holtby has the best GAA and save percentage of any goalie in the modern era in over 80 playoff games.

Backstrom is fantastic defensively. There’s a reason Trotz has said he’s that good - why players constantly vote for him - and why he’s the best two way center by far on Caps roster (which wins a ton).

That being said - he’s not bergeron defensively. Bergeron is ans should keep getting the award.

Also, seems like only the top market guys win awards like this.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
because hes average defensively
This year sure but there were some years where he was easily one of the 5 best 2 way forwards in the game and him finishing no higher than 7th in Selke voting in his career is a travesty

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
So you just blindly believe whatever a coach says about his own players? Don't bother thinking for yourself, right? I assume you agreed with Laviolette when he said Giroux was the best player in the world right in the middle of Crosby's prime?
I take barry trotz assesement over your opinion. He actually coached backstrom for 3 years.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I take barry trotz assesement over your opinion. He actually coached backstrom for 3 years.
Fair enough. So we're both in agreement that Giroux was the best player in the world during Crosby's prime then, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad