Why even meet Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Twine Seeking Missle said:
The NHLPA rejected the "last" offer by the owners today. Why have the two sides meet again tomorrow with bettman and goodenow? This seems like a big waste of time. Just put us out of our misery already. :banghead:
:handclap: cancel the season and screw them!

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Lock them in a room together with nobody else in there, and let them
have a free-for-all. The one left standing winds the negotiations.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Goodenow will ask for the NHL to drop the linkage and put down a hard number, if they like the number then maybe they can negotiate from there but I'm telling ya, NHLPA has no interest in a cap system without an agreed upon revenue-sharing system.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
barnburner said:
Lock them in a room together with nobody else in there, and let them
have a free-for-all. The one left standing winds the negotiations.

Can we give them weapons? Hopefully they both pull the trigger at the exact same time. Lets also hope that they are accurate shots :yo:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Why meet? well....

Obviously something is up due to the fact that BETTMAN and GOODENOW are in on the meetings

Lets recap, these two men have been excluded from the meetings for the last few weeks. Why would they meet? Obviously something is up

Plus, this is another case of believing the media. It's going to be obvious that the NHL and PA will use, abuse the media as a bargaining tool to get their way. The victims? Fans. And silly posts like this

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
I like the optimism but what is that based on?

It's based off of all the things we've heard over the past month - Anaheim and Phoenix ordering equipment, Mark Madden reporting back on Monday that there would be an 80% chance that a deal would be signed on Thursday (yes, he's a credible source when it comes to hockey matters), the NHL and PA consistantly trying to fool the media and others that would disrupt meetings. The kicker, though, is that even though the PA 'refuses' to accept a hard cap and the NHL 'refuses' to back down from their stance, and although they continually make statements that say 'no progress, big philosophy differences, no further meetings scheduled', they continue to meet anyway as if the season could be saved. Finally, Bettman and Goodenow tomorrow... assuming that everything above is correct, the two coming together could only result in good things.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Chinook said:
It's based off of all the things we've heard over the past month - Anaheim and Phoenix ordering equipment, Mark Madden reporting back on Monday that there would be an 80% chance that a deal would be signed on Thursday (yes, he's a credible source when it comes to hockey matters), the NHL and PA consistantly trying to fool the media and others that would disrupt meetings. The kicker, though, is that even though the PA 'refuses' to accept a hard cap and the NHL 'refuses' to back down from their stance, and although they continually make statements that say 'no progress, big philosophy differences, no further meetings scheduled', they continue to meet anyway as if the season could be saved. Finally, Bettman and Goodenow tomorrow... assuming that everything above is correct, the two coming together could only result in good things.

You do make some very good points. Maybe I'm trying to not get my hopes as high as they were last week so I can limit how upset I am when talks break down tomorrow. Did I say "when"? I meant "if". :D

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably for the same reason I talk to my ex-girlfriends. Most likely nothing good will happen, but you like to hold out hope. :)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
im not optimistic about tomorrow. i think having them together is just one last chance for the two of them to try to get the other to blink. it wont happen - and hopefully the season is just called then. what would be left of the season at this point is getting embarassing. 35 games? 30 if we wait to march 1? its just getting too painful - though in the last lockout, there were multiple days that looked like tomorrow. they came and went, and a solution still came along eventually. when the owners caved, that is.

Luongownage

Kassian? #epicfail
Jan 20, 2005
Terrace, BC
The season is up. It's like what Bobbie Mack said about twenty minutes ago.....these two guys are just gonna see themselves 1 more time before the mushroom cloud comes up.

NOTHING but PR.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
If they cancel the season, what will be left of the NHL? I don't think much. They are already getting even the hard core fans upset.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Chinook said:
I know that few of you think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is signed tomorrow.

IMO, not tomorrow... but the day after :innocent:

I think that tomorrow will be the most depressing yet for us hockey fans - as both Goodenow and Bettman will be sporting their best and most convincing poker faces during the final hours... Doom will not only be reported, but also appear to be reality, IMO...

But as soon as there seems to be absolutely no hope, IMHO Bettman is going to replace the 'hard cap' portion of the NHL's proposal with a strict luxury tax/soft cap...

This is the secret door out of this whole negotiation trap that allows both sides to save face, IMO...

The NHL's latest offer likely includes elements already negotiated between the two sides (thus all the meetings)... IMO, it's basically just the hard cap component that needs to be worked out (and corresponding free agency consolation prize)- and thus, the meeting with Bettman and Goodenow to fight and determine what it will be replaced with...

I don't think that either side will walk away now... IMO, both sides realize that the other is prepared to leave the season behind - and the threat of this has likely done it's job in getting a form of cost certainty (although not as strict as a hard cap) in place... To follow through is now counter-productive and unnecessary, IMO...

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The NHLPA rejected the "last" offer by the owners today. Why have the two sides meet again tomorrow with bettman and goodenow? This seems like a big waste of time. Just put us out of our misery already. :banghead:

Because Goodenow needs to be present in order to sign a deal. He does not need to be present to reject a deal.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
I in the Eye said:
IMO, not tomorrow... but the day after :innocent:

I think that tomorrow will be the most depressing yet for us hockey fans - as both Goodenow and Bettman will be sporting their best and most convincing poker faces during the final hours... Doom will not only be reported, but also appear to be reality, IMO...

But as soon as there seems to be absolutely no hope, IMHO Bettman is going to replace the 'hard cap' portion of the NHL's proposal with a strict luxury tax/soft cap...

This is the secret door out of this whole negotiation trap that allows both sides to save face, IMO...

The NHL's latest offer likely includes elements already negotiated between the two sides (thus all the meetings)... IMO, it's basically just the hard cap component that needs to be worked out (and corresponding free agency consolation prize)- and thus, the meeting with Bettman and Goodenow to fight and determine what it will be replaced with...

I don't think that either side will walk away now... IMO, both sides realize that the other is prepared to leave the season behind - and the threat of this has likely done it's job in getting a form of cost certainty (although not as strict as a hard cap) in place... To follow through is now counter-productive and unnecessary, IMO...

The hardness of the cap is alleviated by the profit sharing component. That's what should allow everyone to save face.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Greschner4 said:
The hardness of the cap is alleviated by the profit sharing component. That's what should allow everyone to save face.

Perhaps... Perhaps not... That's up to Gary and Bob to debate tomorrow...

I think something that we can agree on, at this point of time, is to both have our fingers crossed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->