Why don't players sign for less?!

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Use the Sharp signing as an example. He will be making 5.9mil per year....Plenty of people here will say it is a slight overpayment. If his stats decline just slightly, the contract will look even worse, as he is skating on thin ice (pun intended).

Soooo...the guy already has more money than he knows what to do with, why couldn't he just sign for 4mil/year?!! Then while he is putting up better numbers than other guys that make more than him....he looks like the hero.

Paul Kariya signed with the Blues for 6mil/year at 3 years. I personally loved the guy, but a large percentile of the die hard local fans talked trash on him constantly because of his salary. If he was signed for less...there would have been no issue, and weight off of his shoulders.

Is it just pure greed?

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Why don't you offer to take a $10,000 pay cut at work? It'll help your company and you'll be a hero!

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Why would it be pure greed? Players sign for what the market will bear. Why don't you work for less?

I think what you're trying to describe is a generalization of the Prisoner's Dilemma. If all players agreed to play for less, they could all get together, fit under the cap, and win a championship. But individually, it's not in each player's best interest.

Fehr Time*

LOL, players careers can be short. Every shift could be their last in the league. The fact that they should take less is ludicrous. People critisize players reguardless, they may as well get something good out of it.

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Why don't you offer to take a $10,000 pay cut at work? It'll help your company and you'll be a hero!

People take pay cuts (don't get raises, have benefits cut) all the time so their fellow workers don't lose their jobs.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
People take pay cuts (don't get raises, have benefits cut) all the time so their fellow workers don't lose their jobs.

If you mean voluntary pay cuts, I'd argue against your claim that it happens all the time.

If you mean that companies do this on behalf of their employees, I'd argue "so what?".

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Some players money > championship
Some players championship > money

Some might take less for a chance to win the Cup.
Some might take less to stay in a place they enjoy living.
Some might take less to stay on a team they love being on.
Some might say, "Screw Stanley! I want a fat pay check!"

Is it that difficult?

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY

More like "take a pay cut or YOU are getting laid off". Or if the employees as a whole don't take a cut then x% are being laid off, and you could be part of that.

Frank doesn't say "sure, I'll take 10k less so bob can keep his job".

MOD. Let me know when you walk into work and offer to give them back 20% of your salary so they can invest it to better the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
I'm not being ridiculous. Professional athletes CAN afford to, and HAVE taken pay cuts for specific reasons before. My post is simply about another reason to take a pay cut....weight off the shoulders, and to keep your home fans from criticizing you for not living up to your contract. That is all my point was.

Some players might not care, but I'd think a few would care.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Many people stay with their companies for $X instead of looking for employment elsewhere with higher wages. Could argue that that's the same as a player making less with team A than jumping to team B.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sorry, but this just moronic. What's the cut-off for when you can afford to take voluntary paycuts for the good of the company? Should people that make $500,000 in other jobs take paycuts for their business? Or $50,000? Depending on who you ask, either is making more than enough that people could "afford" to take paycuts.

It's always easy how quick people are to think other people should give back what they've earned. If you were in their shoes, you'd happily sign multimillion dollar deals, too. And, as IU Hawks fan said, Sharpie would've gotten more money on the free agent market, so your point's moot anyway.

And weight off their shoulders? Yeah, I'm sure players have a hard time sleeping at night when they make millions of dollars a year because fans think that they're overpaid. Get real.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Kariya took an 8.8 million dollar pay cut to play with selanne on the Avs. It is amazing what you can "afford" to do when you already have millions in your savings account.

I'm a 25 year old trying to become a first time home owner...it is a little difficult to compare my pay with theirs.

Hf never stops talking about over paid players, so I simply brought the question out into the open. That's all.

Dado

The answer is that winning a Stanley Cup is NOT the most important thing for (most) players.

Even Canadian ones.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
I'm not being ridiculous. Professional athletes CAN afford to, and HAVE taken pay cuts for specific reasons before. My post is simply about another reason to take a pay cut....weight off the shoulders, and to keep your home fans from criticizing you for not living up to your contract. That is all my point was.

Some players might not care, but I'd think a few would care.

Yes you are. You're saying a player should take a pay cut to play on the same team that they are now. Taking a pay cut to stay with a team who could otherwise not afford you is a totally different story.

Taking a pay cut so fans don't post **** about you on a message board? Get real.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Kariya took an 8.8 million dollar pay cut to play with selanne on the Avs. It is amazing what you can "afford" to do when you already have millions in your savings account.

I'm a 25 year old trying to become a first time home owner...it is a little difficult to compare my pay with theirs.

Hf never stops talking about over paid players, so I simply brought the question out into the open. That's all.

Maybe they're saving up for a 20 million $ yacht.

Fehr Time*

Kariya took a big discount that year in order to exploit a CBA loophole to have him become a UFA the next year and get a huge payday. There was nothing phlanthropic about it.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Kariya took a big discount that year in order to exploit a CBA loophole to have him become a UFA the next year and get a huge payday. There was nothing phlanthropic about it.

Exactly. Kariya's one-year deal led to an earlier UFA status because he was earning less than the league average.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
The only truly ridiculous discount I can think of is vokoun. All the other players who signed at so called "discounts" are still pretty close to their "fair value". And long term deals, even non cap cheat ones, are going to be cheaper because the team has to assume the injury / poor performance risk. Taking a salary in the lower range of what a player is worth happens when a guy wants to stay with a team and doesn't want to play hardball to maximize their contract.

Like Richards could've gotten a few million more if he really tried, but I wouldn't call 57 million over 6 years a discount.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Kariya did NOT sign with Colorado for a cheap one year deal out of the goodness of his heart, because he wanted to play with Teemu, or because he wanted a Cup - he signed that deal because it allowed him to become a UFA again. He became a UFA at an early age in '03 because teh Ducks declined to offer him a QO.

That cheap deal allowed him to become a Group V UFA - 10 pro years and earning less than the Average League Salary.

If he signed anywhere for a higher salary (> league average) he would have become a RFA again - he would not have become UFA eligible again until '06-'07 (under the 31 yo rule of the old CBA).

He saw he was not going to get a big payday then, so he signed the cheap one year deal - which allowed him to shoot for the big payday and long-term contract the next year. Any other considerations were secondary.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

well put.

some one brought up a short work life in the league but signing a few million dollar contract for a few years equates to a lottery win to me . you really dont have to work ever again. problem arises when one has disposable cash and becomes a demi god in the sad monetary world we live in. expectations of lifestyle escalade....(yes, escalade...no typo)

look at nba losers that are more paid then nhl players and are in heavy debt a few mere years out of the game.

delusions of grandeur.

i'd be more then estatic to gain a couple million and retire so as to never wake up to an alarm clock again. people 'waste' money when they have an abundance of it ....though who am i to say i wouldnt either. i just like to think i'd TRY ans be smart about it.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
A lot of time, "signing for less" is because the market came back to an older player.

Also, because so few OFFERS get publicized, it's rare that we find out if a player took less money to sign with a different team.

And when you're young, you think you have plenty of time to win a championship; and you think a team that offers you a lot of money is committed to winning and has a good thing going/starting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->