Why does Washington State produce so few players?

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
For a state with a relatively rich history in the game over the last 100 years, they haven't produced many players themselves.

I believe Tyler Johnson, TJ Oshie, Scott Levins, and David Wilkie are the only ones who were raised there that have played more than a handful of games in the NHL.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And Oshie played high school hockey in Minnesota, so while he's still a Seattle boy and a Seahawks fan, Minnesota is more responsible for producing him.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think it's a little generous to say they have a 'relatively rich hockey history'.

I can only assume you're referring to the Seattle Metropolitans, a team that only existed for 9 years.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I think it's a little generous to say they have a 'relatively rich hockey history'.

I can only assume you're referring to the Seattle Metropolitans, a team that only existed for 9 years.

probably including the WHL teams like seattle, everett, tri-cities, spokane, and tacoma

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
images

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011

Yeah but they've also had teams in the old PCHL and WHL (Seattle Ironmen, Seattle Totems, Spokane Comets, Tacoma Rockets), the WIHL (the old Spokane Chiefs), and several teams in the junior WHL since the 80's.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No NHL team. I see more players in the WHL coming out of California, Arizona and Texas than I have Washington. Lack of NHL team is the first reason I think of.

Another problem is they don't have any elite hockey past the Bantam AAA level. They don't have a Major Midget league, and only have one Junior A team, based in Wenatchee. While they do have four WHL teams, they are not going out of their way to improve the quality of elite hockey in the state since they don't need to recruit or draft within the state. It seems the NHL teams in non-traditional markets usually are the ones who do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->