Why does Vegas have to keep gouging us?

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Why do the Rangers keep gouging New Yorkers? They should play out of Utica instead. Everything's cheaper in Utica.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Las Vegas will already be full because of people going for Valentines Day, it means hotels and everything will be more expensive/ crowded.

They’re clearly picking days they know will be tougher sells for other hockey markets to be able to squeeze more money out of a devoted fan base.

LOL NO ... tin foil should be used for baking potatos not for hats.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s more of a comment on other markets taking advantage the Leaf fans. Anyone flying to Vegas to watch a hockey game is likely dropping a fair bit of money. The price difference is likely maybe a few hundred dollars for hotels.

The game will end up being the least costly thing, it’s just annoying it’s always during some other holiday.
Who cares? Seems smart of the league to do this and beneficial for everyone except the ~5k worth of Leafs fans willing to plan a Vegas trip around the game.

You can always plan a Vegas trip, see whoever is in town, then catch a Leafs game elsewhere. Sometimes it's nice to see other teams.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Prolly cheaper to fly out to Vegas and stay 2 nights mid-week to see the Leafs play than see the game at the ACC anyway.

Sorry, Scotiabank Centre :rolleyes:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Last season they play the Knights on Jan 1st, this season it’s Valentine’s Day. Anyone else tired of being the leagues piggy bank?

They know we’ll go, so they pick the days that ensure they will get every extra dollar from us.
As long as they aren't at home on Valentines Day I couldn't care less where they play.
Strike that, West Coast late start is ideal. I can take the wife for dinner with no distractions.

In general this seems like a silly thing to worry about. Of course the league schedules games to help teams fill their buildings, it is a business after all.

Prolly cheaper to fly out to Vegas and stay 2 nights mid-week to see the Leafs play than see the game at the ACC anyway.

Sorry, Scotiabank Centre :rolleyes:
This is just as silly.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Would some of you prefer that the league makes less money? What's the problem? The schedule should be made in a way to maximise profit.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Would some of you prefer that the league makes less money? What's the problem? The schedule should be made in a way to maximise profit.

This doesn’t actually make the league more money. The Knights have 100% attendance so far, so the league is getting paid the same.

This just makes scalpers and Las Vegas more money.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It is the Leafs, they sell out anywhere even in Arizona. Heck, I even bet that if the Leafs is to travel to Sydney to have a game, Leafs Nation will still be flying there for the game.

everyone I know back home in Australia is a canucks fan except one is a bruins fan. Not the whole of Australia obviously but a lot of people I know are canucks fans, probably something to do with their time zone being closer to Australian time zones? I don't know.

edit: just realized you could have meant Sydney, Nova Scotia if so my bad haha. I totally forgot about that (no offence to anyone form there)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This doesn’t actually make the league more money. The Knights have 100% attendance so far, so the league is getting paid the same.

This just makes scalpers and Las Vegas more money.
All part of a 5 game road trip. If they weren't playing in Vegas that night they'd be playing elsewhere, like most failing to see any big deal here.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
All part of a 5 game road trip. If they weren't playing in Vegas that night they'd be playing elsewhere, like most failing to see any big deal here.

It's really not, I just found it annoying that yet again a Leafs game was taking place on a holiday in Vegas. I love Vegas it's a great city to have a lot of fun, it would just be nice to see a game there when it isn't New Years day or Valentines day.

JuanSnow

Mar 5, 2016
If anything they're doing it wrong. Put the Leafs on some random Tuesday in November that normally wouldn't sell well. Leave the holidays and weekends for the bad draw teams because those games will sell anyway.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
StubHub has Leaf tickets in LV starting at around $148 (US), not including a $35 fee on top of that. Anyone know a better way I can get my hands on 6-8 tickets?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Meh the cost isn’t the biggest problem, it’s just the added insanity. It’s hard to be spontaneous when everywhere is packed/ sold out that’s worth going too.

I still think it’s lame that’s it clear the league is doing it on purpose.
You honestly think the league decided very specifically to put us in Vegas on that night? Like they went completely out of their way to schedule the game that night? They just really wanted to "gouge" us?

We play Colorado and then Arizona on that swing. The availability of those two arenas definitely played a role. The league didn't "punish" us by scheduling the Vegas game on Valentine's Day. Stop with the woe is me attitude.

I get that’s its a business but occupancy rates drives hotel prices. You could have the exact same trip do the exact same thing but end up shelling out more money solely because they know they can do it to Leaf fans.

Plus Valentine’s Day in Las Vegas sounds like a bit of a tacky nightmare.
...then don't go...

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
everyone I know back home in Australia is a canucks fan except one is a bruins fan. Not the whole of Australia obviously but a lot of people I know are canucks fans, probably something to do with their time zone being closer to Australian time zones? I don't know.

edit: just realized you could have meant Sydney, Nova Scotia if so my bad haha. I totally forgot about that (no offence to anyone form there)

Sydney, N.S. would be Leafs, Habs and Bruins fan mostly.

Hard to believe but people have mixed the two Sydneys up when travelling.....

Another traveller makes his way to the wrong Sydney | Cape Breton Post

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If anything they're doing it wrong. Put the Leafs on some random Tuesday in November that normally wouldn't sell well. Leave the holidays and weekends for the bad draw teams because those games will sell anyway.
This. This thread is so backwards.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You honestly think the league decided very specifically to put us in Vegas on that night? Like they went completely out of their way to schedule the game that night? They just really wanted to "gouge" us?

We play Colorado and then Arizona on that swing. The availability of those two arenas definitely played a role. The league didn't "punish" us by scheduling the Vegas game on Valentine's Day. Stop with the woe is me attitude.

...then don't go...

I don't think they are punishing us, I think they are taking advantage. It's not a woe is me attitude it's just annoying that they keep scheduling the games during holidays. Do you think it's completely by chance it happened two years in a row?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't think they are punishing us, I think they are taking advantage. It's not a woe is me attitude it's just annoying that they keep scheduling the games during holidays. Do you think it's completely by chance it happened two years in a row?
No different than the Leafs and Habs being in Florida every year at March Break.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sydney, N.S. would be Leafs, Habs and Bruins fan mostly.

Hard to believe but people have mixed the two Sydneys up when travelling.....

Another traveller makes his way to the wrong Sydney | Cape Breton Post

yeah I have read about people mixing it up. What a serious disappointment if you thought you got a really good deal on a flight to Australia only to end up on the east cost. Don't get me wrong ive been to nova scotia and loved it, beautiful part of the world.

then again if a deal seems too good to be true it is, in their case the catch was it was to a different place haha

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Seriously? Valentine's Day is not a holiday.

They aren't taking advantage. The league didn't open up their calendar, turn to February 14th, place the Leafs there and then decide the rest of the entire schedule based on that. There is a lot more to it. I would agree with you about last year but do you really think anyone gives a f*** about Valentine's Day?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Seriously? Valentine's Day is not a holiday.

They aren't taking advantage. The league didn't open up their calendar, turn to February 14th, place the Leafs there and then decide the rest of the entire schedule based on that. There is a lot more to it. I would agree with you about last year but do you really think anyone gives a **** about Valentine's Day?
Typically the Leafs are home on Valentines or so it seems.
Tough ticket to get rid of in my experience.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Were you actually going to go? The people that want to go to Vegas will go regardless of what day it is. I'm going this year and I sure as hell wouldn't NOT go because it's a stupid Hallmark day. If you're going to Vegas you are going knowing full well you are spending money.

For the record, I spent $425 CAD on a flight from Toronto to Denver, Denver to Vegas, and Vegas to Phoenix. You can get a hotel in Vegas on the strip on February 14th for less than $100 CAD a night. Did you do absolutely any research before posting this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->