Review: Why Does this game make people so crazy?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Those types most likely have less going for them outside of or away from their kids sport. Never found any thrill,or enjoyment playing, coaching or supporting in cleaning up any team who are clearly not up to or at the same or any level where they can compete. Never could understand how some people whoop it up in those situations like they do. That's not just on the scoreboard though, but physically too.

Dished out some hidings where you win very comfortably but they really belted your team and you know you've been in a game; and on the receiving end too.

Always think 'we shouldn't have been having to play those guys though when they really struggle. You need some proper competition to find out how good you are.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
hockey parents are insane at times. I coached 7-8 year olds this year, we had a situation where the game ended up going to to a shootout. 2 assistant coaches looked at me, a dad and another mom were standing up on the glass "who's going to shoot? who should we put out there?". in my mind i had 3 kids i would pick if the situation warranted but it didnt. I just looked at all the kids on the bench and said "everyone stay right where they are in this line" the coaches looked at me the mom was saying "put in my son he always scores on breakaways". then the ref handed me the piece of paper and i wrote down the first 3 numbers. when the other coaches asked me who i picked i said "those 3, they are the next ones out (pointing at the first 3 kids in the line that would have went out if the game was 1min longer), if we need more shooters we go in this order right here. we ended up having like 17 shooters and all the kids got to go before we lost but the idea that the only people who cared if we won or lost was the parents sunk in real quick. The kids didnt care, and i could see the crazy in some of the parents faces when i let a kid who hadnt scored all year shoot 2nd. they cant argue with the logic, so they kept their anger to themselves.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
There's nothing wrong with that approach at that age, but do you spell it out at the start of the season so there are no surprises and people should have no cause to complain?

There's sticking with policy or ethos which is fine, then there's taking the easy option of trying not to offend or upset anyone. I'm not a fan of kids coaches that are primarily concerned with avoiding any controversy on because invariably none of the kids benefit from it; some don't get challenged or pushed and some get things handed to them on a plate.

I've always gone for maximum involvement of inclusion of everyone including the strugglers, but the understanding that we still like winning and there will be situations where we look to our go to kids, just like there will be situations where the go to kids will be watching much of the game.

NativeHockey77*

The minor hockey system in my area just ends in a tie if no one scores in overtime.

Myself I'd go with the next players who are to go on the ice to skate in the shootout. The rule in BC Minor Hockey at those levels is not to double shift and to have equal playing times.

At 7 and 8 years old it is about player development, it's not about who wins exhibition games. Crazy parents feel entitled that their kids get the most ice time when at the Novice level it is about player development. People forget that at that age it is Novice level hockey, not Bantam AAA. Lol

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
At the same time it's good to to be able to give some (little) extra responsibility, encouragement or opportunity where you can to those who do extra, work harder or are improving, but you try and reward effort and not just skill or ability.

Not win at all costs, but effort and improvement at all costs.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
An area wide rule has just been brought in for junior levels that all players have to play at least half a game each week (not hockey) which is going to be an absolute disaster.

It means stronger teams with more depth will blitz teams with less depth and the teams that just want to win will ensure they include less players in their rosters, so their top players can keep getting the same game time.

When you play the top or strongest team, you have to put some kids out there to get slaughtered, which isn't necessarily doing them any favours. Do you start that game with your weakest lineup and finish with the strongest, are start strong and finish weaker?

The administrators mean well but are hopeless. Far better to impose a minimum playing time rule and let the coaches pick when and which games they can juggle their lineups for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad