Why does the media continue to say Martin Jones is struggling?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, 10pm is way too late to stay up.

No roosters, but toddlers who wake up at 7am at the latest, or a job that starts at 6am...
I'm sure lots of people do, but generally speaking. The average bed time in the Tri-State area is like 11:30PM or 11:45. I think it's almost midnight in the New York City area; After 11PM for lots of the other major eastern cities. Ironically everything I've seen shows the west coast goes to bed earlier lol. Plus east coast games start at 4PM on the west coast, that's not exactly a convenient viewing time either.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No I wasnt suggesting that at all, can you explain why you think I was suggesting that?
Of course you weren't. Just like the other poster wasn't suggesting that a 5 on 0 goal isn't the fault of the goalie.

Thanks for making my point for me.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Save percentage doesn't tell the story. Sharks give up grade A chance after grade A chance.
Over an entire year it's unlikely he's faced that many more high danger chances than other goalies. That Save % is inexcusable.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'd like to see Sharks fans "Jones SV% is so low because the defense bleeds shots against" have a debate with Sabres fans "Lehner's SV% was so high because the defense bleeds shots against". Sounds like it would be pretty epic!

This is a pretty bad post. You are misrepresenting the arguments being made by Sharks fans.

1-DD68-A85-89-D7-4977-ADC9-9-CFDE4700-E7-D.jpg

BC515-EA4-3594-4-CA5-A70-B-0-EC2-E1141-E91.jpg

Lehner faced a very high volume of shots from the perimeter and facing very few shots from the high danger areas and that inflated his save percentage. Jones faced very few shots from the perimeter and a very high volume of shots from the high danger areas. This deflated his save percentage.

These arguments are not the same. These arguments do not contradict one another at all. And these arguments are both supported by the facts.

Reactions: WSS11 and Patty Ice

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Jones is made to look a lot worse by our abysmal team defence.
That being said, he is absolutely a below average starter in the league until he proves otherwise, which I won’t be holding my breath for.
If he can throw another good playoff performance together at least it’ll ease the pain a bit.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
This year is definitely too small of a sample size to count. However last year just looking at Hockey Reference:

- The Sharks gave up the 5th lowest High Danger Scoring Chances
- They gave up the 2nd least Shots Against

With all that, I have to say Martin Jones sucked last year and because of that, when you look at his numbers this year, he does not get the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed and I basically came to post this, although I saw them ranked 17th for High danger against, as in 16 teams gave up more high danger chances. Maybe he's been better this year but for a team that did a reasonable job limiting shots and high danger, having a $5m goalie bottom of the league for save percentage means he's gonna get the "struggling" name.

And please, can we stop the "you formed an opinion without watching every game!!!" stuff... like you're watching every other team's games start to finish uninterrupted in order to develop an opinion you can judge your own team against. We're all just going off numbers and punditry, lets stop pretending.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jones is an average goalie at best.

If anything, the media seems to believe he's good, as do a lot of fans around the league, most likely because they see he's on a team that always makes the playoffs and has made a couple deep runs in them the past few years.

Of course, that's quieted down A LOT since he's horrific season last year, but he was average before (his 15-16 season and playoffs were really good though and the others have been above average to below average and last year was astronomically bad) last year anyway.

He's just an average goaltender, that's it. He's not good and he's not bad either, unless his play from last year wasn't a one year thing and continues over to this year. He was just an average goalie that had a BAD year last season and 15-16 was an average goalie having a good year and playoffs.

He stunk the first few games of this year, but was really strong in his last game.

Reactions: Take Notes

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
I'm guessing it's due to his inability to stop the puck at a level even a backup would find acceptable. This is now going into season 2 of sub .900.

Why or how isn't that important.

Over an entire year it's unlikely he's faced that many more high danger chances than other goalies. That Save % is inexcusable.

It was eye opening to me how Greiss and Halak absolutely tanked in save percentage under Doug Weight's disastrous last year then magically went back to .920+ when they got behind a decent defence.

Save percentage has a lot to do with the team you play for and who you play against.

Reactions: Big Cactus

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
I keep hearing expert after "expert" saying he is struggling. He's not, I understand these guys don't stay up past 10 eastern time but come on. Anyone who actually is watching Sharks games knows he is left out to dry almost every game and takes so many high danger chances.

Jones has been fine, even last season.

Just because the overrated Flames only put 1 past him doesn't mean he hasn't struggled.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Weird topic.

his numbers were poor in regular season and playoffs last season. He has always been an average goalie. So yes he does struggle at times and is not an ideal #1.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think it's because he seems easier to rattle than most starters around the league. I've seen games where he lets in a softie and then it just turns into a total meltdown cause he cant regain his confidence, which imo is not a good sign for a goaltender that anyone expects to be good

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It was eye opening to me how Greiss and Halak absolutely tanked in save percentage under Doug Weight's disastrous last year then magically went back to .920+ when they got behind a decent defence.

Save percentage has a lot to do with the team you play for and who you play against.

Fine.

But there's essentially no true #1 goalie with numbers as bad as his and maybe system etc plays in...but there's no way the Sharks system and defence is the worst in the league.

Frederik Andersen is consistently around .917-.920 on a team that has routinely played Martin Marincin.

At a certain point blaming the team defence and system doesn't work imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad