Why does the media continue to say Martin Jones is struggling?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
People on the east coast don't go to bed at 10PM lol. You guys out west use this as an excuse for everything. We don't have roosters for alarm clocks FFS.

Yeah, 10pm is way too late to stay up.

No roosters, but toddlers who wake up at 7am at the latest, or a job that starts at 6am...

Reactions: Gecklund

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He was good last night and that is with Karlsson looking like a stiff in front of him.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Save percentage doesn't tell the story. Sharks give up grade A chance after grade A chance.

Save percentage isn't perfect - it's far from it.

However, qualitative advocacy stances like the above aren't useful, either - you watch Sharks games in a biased fashion, you don't watch enough league games to get a breadth of sample in your head, and even if you do, you can't keep it all sorted in your head in a fashion that's useful for comparison purposes.

That's true of all of us as humans, by the way - not just you.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He was good last night and that is with Karlsson looking like a stiff in front of him.
Don’t know what you’re talking about but Karlsson has looked good the last few games. Honestly all season except for a few turnovers that got highlighted and talked about to death. I don’t understand this board’s hate for EK.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Don’t know what you’re talking about but Karlsson has looked good the last few games. Honestly all season except for a few turnovers that got highlighted and talked about to death. I don’t understand this board’s hate for EK.
Come on man, did you watch last night. The guy is allergic to winning puck battles along the walls. Just gives it away.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sharks can't keep the puck out of their net. Their defense was ranked #1 on HF over the offseason and top 3 by most publications all offseason. So it can't possibly be them.

Goaltending sucked last year and this year the stats are just as ugly.

So it has to be one of the two. If goaltending is being under rated, then defense is being over rated. Defensively they aren't even a top 10 team IMO

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Sharks can't keep the puck out of their net. Their defense was ranked #1 on HF over the offseason and top 3 by most publications all offseason. So it can't possibly be them.

Goaltending sucked last year and this year the stats are just as ugly.

So it has to be one of the two. If goaltending is being under rated, then defense is being over rated. Defensively they aren't even a top 10 team IMO

i choose option 3

pete deboer isnt an amazing coach, his tactics of having the D shoot at shins which cause a turnover is not great.

hes also not good at adjusting, many shark fans want him gone

glady trade you for babcock

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
i choose option 3

pete deboer isnt an amazing coach, his tactics of having the D shoot at shins which cause a turnover is not great.

hes also not good at adjusting, many shark fans want him gone

glady trade you for babcock

Trust me if you have a problem with that you don't want Babcock. Although if the team keeps playing how they have with the same problems 4 years in a row, you will only have to wait a few months for a chance to find out for yourself.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Someone call Mike Keenan, hes great with a veteran roster. He will whip that lazy bum Thornton into shape.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Presuming you meant last season, which is almost like.....last season.

He's been really good when adequately defended in front of so far this season.

So there’s that

"this year"- small sample size
"when adequately defended" - smaller sample size

"Last season" - large sample size.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So what you are suggesting is that if a goalie gives up a goal on a 5 on 0 he sucks, just stop the puck
So what you are suggesting is that the number of 5-0 goals a goalie gives up over the course of 60+ games is so large that it drastically effects their save %.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Jones was mediocre last season, terrible in the playoffs, and has not been all that great this season. He’s been shaky, inconsistent, and a lot of times just looks overwhelmed and out of place. Sure, our defense doesn’t help at times....but Jones play is even more glaring when our defense isn’t playing well, one does not compliment the other, but I would put a good amount of blame on Jones over our defense. He lets in soft goals, over commits to the first shot, and always seems to get buried alive when the heat is on. He’s been one of our biggest problems by far.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Because he has struggled big time. Absolutely he's not been helped by the team, but he's similarly let the team down. He often can't make routine saves and it kills any momentum.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Among 22 goalies who have faced at least 150 unblocked shot attempts this season, Jones ranks 12th in dfSV% and 12th in GSAx according to Evolving-Hockey. We’re obviously looking at a small sample size of only 5 games for this season and he was obviously not good last season, but so far he has been roughly average this year. He isn’t the biggest problem with the team.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The real question is did you watch last night? Obviously we watched a different game.
Of course I watched and, in more than a couple instances, in disbelief at the money Karlsson is getting paid for putting in that performance.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
This year is definitely too small of a sample size to count. However last year just looking at Hockey Reference:

- The Sharks gave up the 5th lowest High Danger Scoring Chances
- They gave up the 2nd least Shots Against

With all that, I have to say Martin Jones sucked last year and because of that, when you look at his numbers this year, he does not get the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
So what you are suggesting is that the number of 5-0 goals a goalie gives up over the course of 60+ games is so large that it drastically effects their save %.

No I wasnt suggesting that at all, can you explain why you think I was suggesting that?

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
I mean, if you're happy with him and his performance then who am I to tell you otherwise? :dunno:

"I'm just going to go check what other goalies around the league are available completely unrelated of course, don't mind me..."

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Save percentage isn't perfect - it's far from it.

However, qualitative advocacy stances like the above aren't useful, either - you watch Sharks games in a biased fashion, you don't watch enough league games to get a breadth of sample in your head, and even if you do, you can't keep it all sorted in your head in a fashion that's useful for comparison purposes.

That's true of all of us as humans, by the way - not just you.

The person who posted this thread isn’t even a Sharks fan. They’re the same person who gave us this gem:

Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->