Why does Sutter bench Latendresse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
From what I understand, Sutter believes he's not playing to his potential, and is playing selfishly...

Latendresse has not looked like the same kid who earned his way onto the Montreal team, he's looked like a kid who believes he's got a God given right to play on the top line.

Sutter is sending the message that, as long as Latendresse listens, will make him a far better professional player. You earn your spot by your play as of now--not by your name, and not by yesterday.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Because he's a latent homosexual.

I agree with Greg Stack but I hardly doubt that Latendresse thinks that he has a god given right to play on the first line. He keeps a diary on RDS.ca (french TSN) and acknowledges how hard and how great the WJC is. He comes off as fully aware of his inconsistent play. I just think he's trying to figure things out in his head. Give him time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sutter made some pretty good comments about Latendresse yesterday. He basically stated it was tough to mix up the lines with the 13th forward, and given the lines were going so well, he was the odd man out. He hasn't played a ton (even when he was playing), nor with the same linemates, so it's really just one of those things where a player has to take a back-seat for the good of the team. I don't think this will be a big deal long-term, as Latendresse should be back on the team next year to play a bigger role.

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Sutter made some pretty good comments about Latendresse yesterday. He basically stated it was tough to mix up the lines with the 13th forward, and given the lines were going so well, he was the odd man out. He hasn't played a ton (even when he was playing), nor with the same linemates, so it's really just one of those things where a player has to take a back-seat for the good of the team. I don't think this will be a big deal long-term, as Latendresse should be back on the team next year to play a bigger role.

Latendresse will probably be in Montreal next year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
baston said:
Latendresse will probably be in Montreal next year.

It's possible, but I would count on it (it might be 50-50). I know he made a good impact there in the pre-season, but he still has a lot to learn. I remember Kobasew making a big impact with Calgary in the pre-season (lead them in goal scoring) something like four years ago, but it has taken him a while to find his way onto the NHL roster. He'll still have to play his way onto the team and won't be given anything.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
HABS-65 said:
is anyone knows ?? I dont think he is the worst player on the team !
Wickenheiser= One word. :biglaugh:

I saw play Midget AAA, big, strong, sniper very poor foot work. One summer of working with Gaston Gingras won't make a NHL player. When I saw pre-season replays I thought something was odd about him. I later learned of his work with Gingras and my questions were answered. :dunno:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Campino said:
Because he plays in the Q????????????? :dunno:

No. Sutter likes players who work hard. That's why Bourdon, also in the Q, has been given such an important role. Latendresse just got the message too late, and with the other lines working so well, he likely has lost his chance to get a spot on the top line.

Dogbert*

See? Latendresse is playing better tonight. Sutter's tactic worked.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
:p: Most likely because Sutter hates frenchies and everything coming out of the Q.

Phaneuf*

Latendresse, seems to be a very pompous guy. I saw his interview and he was being such a smartass *****.

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Pepper said:
:p: Most likely because Sutter hates frenchies and everything coming out of the Q.

Letang and Bourdon are also from the Q, and are the best player of team Canada....

but maybe Sutter hates future Habs players like Price and GL, that's more possible ;)

mooseOAK*

I think that Sutter explained it indirectly when he said that if there is one guy who isn't playing hard and doing what he is supposed to then that can spread through the team.

Steve Latin*

He obviously didn't hear that Latendresse scored a hat trick in the preseason :-P

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Sutter likes players who work hard.
This is bang on, Sutter did the same thing with Anthony Stewart. If you're not going to put in the extra work on a Sutter team, then you're not going to play very much.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If you watched Latendresse vs. Finland you could see he was really labouring with his skating. Just cannot play the up tempo game Sutter wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->