OT: Why does Seattle perform better than Vancouver in WHL attendance?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Always thought the Toigo/Pacific Coliseum relationship would go on for a long time. Was always curious about the move, Giants wouldve done amazing with a talent like Byram and Canucks not all that good/still expensive.
What I recall PAC Co could do better financially having other events rather than the giants.

Can’t recall if the rent was going up too much for the giants liking, but hey it’s vancouver and all rents were going up at the time.

Must have crunched the numbers before they made the call to go to Langley.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He left to return to Kamloops (where he's from) to take over as head coach there in 2014.

The Giants then cycled through 6 coaches in the next two years.

Whatttttt? That's unprecedented, no? I've never heard of a team going through that many coaches in such a short time span.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Whatttttt? That's unprecedented, no? I've never heard of a team going through that many coaches in such a short time span.

Yeah, there was a reason attendance dropped the last two years at the Pacific Coliseum (which are the two years in question).

But instead of saying 'hmm, maybe we're losing fans and money because our team is poorly run and at the bottom of the standings, and we should stabilize things and see how things go when we get the inevitable uptick that comes with junior hockey' they threw a tantrum and moved to a situation that was 10x worse. Whoops. Bad ownership is just ubiquitous in Vancouver sports.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He left to return to Kamloops (where he's from) to take over as head coach there in 2014.

The Giants then cycled through 6 coaches in the next two years.

2 years is a bit of an exaggeration. But they definitely did change out that many coaches. I guess it was post-divorce trauma. Hay leaves after 10 years. Can't trust another coach.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
2 years is a bit of an exaggeration. But they definitely did change out that many coaches. I guess it was post-divorce trauma. Hay leaves after 10 years. Can't trust another coach.

When Jason McKee was hired in June 2016, he was the 6th different head coach in 25 months since Hay had left in May 2014. And that's not counting Hay.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
When Jason McKee was hired in June 2016, he was the 6th different head coach in 25 months since Hay had left in May 2014. And that's not counting Hay.

No. You are wrong. McKee was the 4th head coach after Hay.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Don't forget that the Giants were already drawing flies at the Coliseum before moving, given their on-ice performance. After they moved, their attendance dropped a bit, as expected, but 3000 at the LEC was a profit, while it would be a heavy loss at the PacCo. Portland's attendance was also in the toilet when they were a dumpster fire.

The Giants still have over 700,000 people to draw from South of the Fraser, and the LEC is fairly easy drive for most of that population. It's on the Giants to market the hell out of the team from Surrey to Abbotsford. Transit is an issue, as already noted, but have you been to Kent?

After last season, I expect they'll have a season average over 4000. The less weekday home games the better. Those have ALWAYS been a tough sell for the Giants. (Edit: Only 6 weekday games this coming season, not counting the Family Day matinee.)

FWIW, despite living 15 minutes from the LEC, I wish they were still at the Coliseum. Unfortunately the rent was becoming far too high for junior hockey team to sustain, and the city was unwilling to make upgrades that Toigo wanted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad