Why does Ovechkin have to wear a full shield, but Olesz doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Ovechkin is 18 years old. There aren't any rules to my knowledge forcing him to wear a cage. Perhaps it is his choice?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:
Ovechkin is 18 years old. There aren't any rules to my knowledge forcing him to wear a cage. Perhaps it is his choice?

And a good one!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's odd, because I think he wears a half-shield in the RSL.

It could be a team policy.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
I think it should be obligation to wear a half-shield in the NHL. The play would be safer for the eyes, we all know what happend to B. Berard. If he had weared a half-shield ....

Guys like Stevens think they are bad boys when they don't wear one,.... but it's just stupid!

Berard wears a half-shild now.

BCCHL inactive

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Berard wears a half-shild now.

The visor Berard wears now is one that is much closer to his face than a normal visor is. If Berard was wearing a normal visor when Hossa's stick cut his eye, he might have lost the entire eye, nevermind be able to play hockey again.

chicpea*

I say we should just do without helmets altogether - especially those lame nike ones.

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
I don't understand what the big deal with a full facemask is. I wear one when I play hockey, I wear the cage, which lets me see the play just fine. I've never had a problem where I felt I lost sight of anything because of my face mask. And I'm sure as hell more confident going into a corner cause of it.

BCCHL inactive

La-La-Laprise said:
If Olesz was wearing a full shield i doubt the Phaneuf hit would have busted his cheek and orbital bones.

...But the impact of the face mask would have likely shattered his jaw.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
lucky for me I'm a goalie and don't have to worry about debates such as these on face masks or no face masks.

well I guess if If this was years and years ago I'd be in a debate on it but that was then and this is now.

anyways I say let the player go with what's more comfortable for them, what do they prefer? simple as that as long as they know the risks involved with their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad