Why does Kessel have the same rating as Malkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If I were doing the rankings including Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin to the top prospects drafted this year it would read something like this:

Crosby 10B
Ovechkin 10B
Malkin 10C
E. Johnson 9B
Staal 9C
Kessel 9C
Backstrom9C
Toews 8B

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Malkin's a great prospect, but I don't consider that highlite reel unique enough to label him a generational talent. When he can do that kind of stuff consistently at the NHL level let me know.

He did compete in the olympics which is a best-on-best tournament. Some argue that he was Russia's best player during the tournament.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
The only way Kessel is going to reach 100 pts in his first, or frankly, any, NHL season is if 80+ of those points are goals.
Who cares about Crosby's skating....every other part of the kids ability makes up for the one or two steps slower than Kessel he might be.
not only that, I have seen Crosby take hits and not even budge, he is like a rock on skates. I cant see kessel digging in and taking the hits the way crosby does.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Aren't the ratings a prediction of a player's ceiling (the number) and the likelihood of reaching that ceiling (the letter)? If so then who has the most potential (and their liklihood of reaching that potential) is indeed what this thread is about. I think that Kessel comes short on both counts, though the number, representing the ceiling, may be close. But the letter ranking? Please, Kessel with as much chance of hitting his ceiling than Malkin? No way. Not even close. For almost anyone. Hence, no way the same ranking.

Not even close? Considering the "generational" comments being bandied about Malkin around here I think Kessel is much more likely to reach his ceiling (a first-line offensive star).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He did compete in the olympics which is a best-on-best tournament. Some argue that he was Russia's best player during the tournament.

So? He played well in that tournament but I don't think what he did was enough to label him a "generational" talent.

espo*

What? Crosby is not the best skater in the league. This is getting ridiculous.

Not nearly as ridiculous as you think it is.He may not be the best skater in the league right now but he's right there when talking about overall skating ability.He can flat out fly and his balance,strentgh on his skates and skating ability east-west are far superior to kessel's and among the best in the NHL already.As an overall skater,Crosby IS better then Kessel.Where he loses out to kessel (and not by very much) is top end speed and acceleration and even there the difference isn't that much.Crosby has major wheels,if you have'nt seen that it's time to shut off the NCAA and watch more NHL games.it's a myth that Kessel is the better skater because as posters here have already pointed out,skating is more then top end speed and acceleration.As an overall skater,Crosby is better then kessel IMO and i bet plenty if not the majority agree agree.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
does it really matter what the ratings are in the 2nd week of July, 2 weeks after the draft? Big deal who cares.
its like coming out with power rankings for the NHL at this time as well. It does not mean a damn thing.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
So? He played well in that tournament but I don't think what he did was enough to label him a "generational" talent.

Well, aren't people here labelling AO to be a generational talent? If you ask the russian fans here at hfboards who watch malkin in the RSL on a regular basis, some will tell you that he has more upside than both AO and crosby.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Well, aren't people here labelling AO to be a generational talent? If you ask the russian fans here at hfboards who watch malkin in the RSL on a regular basis, some will tell you that he has more upside than both AO and crosby.

How do they know, did they watched Crosby in Juniors?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not nearly as ridiculous as you think it is.He may not be the best skater in the league right now but he's right there when talking about overall skating ability.He can flat out fly and his balance,strentgh on his skates and skating ability east-west are far superior to kessel's and among the best in the NHL already.As an overall skater,Crosby IS better then Kessel.Where he loses out to kessel (and not by very much) is top end speed and acceleration and even there the difference isn't that much.Crosby has major wheels,if you have'nt seen that it's time to shut off the NCAA and watch more NHL games.it's a myth that Kessel is the better skater because as posters here have already pointed out,skating is more then top end speed and acceleration.As an overall skater,Crosby is better then kessel IMO and i bet plenty if not the majority agree agree.

I've already acknowledged that Crosby has superior balance and leg strength. He's a more physically mature person who has a differant build. I still think Kessel has the definate edge in top end speed and acceleration.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I guess we'll see when Malkin plays in the NHL next year.

Roger's Pancreas*

does it really matter what the ratings are in the 2nd week of July, 2 weeks after the draft? Big deal who cares.
its like coming out with power rankings for the NHL at this time as well. It does not mean a damn thing.

It's prospect envy, kind of like how people got worked up about Carter and Malkin having the same "grade".

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

There is only one problem! The RSL is not equal to the NHL. Who knows how his game will translate to the NHL. Ill hold my judgment until he plays in the NHL. Until then he's just another hyped prospect along with Kessel.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Is that so surprising? I think it's more likely Kessel becomes the next Pavel Bure than Malkin becomes the next Mario Lemieux. That is Malkin's ceiling-right?

No it's not, nobody is expecting him to reach lemieux's level. The reason people here are comparing him to lemieux is because malkin's offensive game looks very similar to mario's (ie: same skating style, long reach, soft hands......). I don't expect malkin to average 2pts/game throughout his career.

espo*

1) I don't agree.
2) I could care less what you or other posters think on the topic.

thats your perogative.

1.I don't agree with you
2.And by the time this kid kessel get's to play in the nhl and show his stuff there i suspect you not caring about what other posters think is going to come in quite handy.It's going to have to,because this supposed superior skating and shot ability isn't going to end up with him being as effective a player.

We'll all be here in a few years to suss it out should it turn out that way or otherwise. Good luck.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
No it's not, nobody is expecting him to reach lemieux's level. The reason people here are comparing him to lemieux is because malkin's offensive game looks very similar to mario's (ie: same skating style, long reach, soft hands......). I don't expect malkin to average 2pts/game throughout his career.

I'm glad you have realistic expecations.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Is that so surprising? I think it's more likely Kessel becomes the next Pavel Bure than Malkin becomes the next Mario Lemieux. That is Malkin's ceiling-right?

*chuckles* . . . you are changing the question. Hell, if you are going to lower the bar and grade Kessel on a curve, then why not lower it all the way. Malkin compare to Mario, Kessel to Ramzi Abid? There, we can give Kessel pretty close to an 'A'.

That is not the question in this thread though. The question is which of the two have a better shot at hitting a higher ceiling. Rating them exactly the same says that both have exactly an equal shot. Which is ridiculous. I still as I said think that Kessel's ceiling is a slight bit lower than Malkin, but if you want to rate them with similar numbers, so be it. But similar letters? No way and I would LOVE for you to defend that assertion. In what way is Kessel by what he has shown so far MORE likely to achieve more (they have the same number ratings remember) than Malkin. Defend away.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

*chuckles* . . . you are changing the question. Hell, if you are going to lower the bar and grade Kessel on a curve, then why not lower it all the way. Malkin compared to Mario, Kessel compared to Ramzi Abid. There, we can give Kessel pretty close to an 'A' as he overachieves and Malkin comes up short in the Mario comparisons.

That is not the question in this thread though. The question is which of the two have a better shot at hitting a higher ceiling. Rating them exactly the same says that both have exactly an equal shot. Which is ridiculous. I still as I said think that Kessel's ceiling is a slight bit lower than Malkin, but if you want to rate them with similar numbers, so be it. But similar letters? No way and I would LOVE for you to defend that assertion. In what way is Kessel by what he has shown so far MORE likely to achieve more (the have the same numbers remember) than Malkin. Defend away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->