Why does Kessel have the same rating as Malkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Skater...eh.
Shot...eh.

Kessel is a little faster than Crosby...but overall skating wise they're so close it's not really a difference. Crosby is one of the best skaters in the league...Kessel may be a little better but they're both going to be top 10 skaters in the league.

I'll give you speed, but if we're talking overall skating I'll take Crosby.

Shot wise...eh...I don't know. Kessel may score more goals, but it won't be because his shot is better, it'll be because he plays the game of a goal scorer. If Crosby would be more selfish out there he could have had 50 goals easily. His shooting percentage was better than Ovechkin's last year(14% to 12.2%)...he just took about 150 less shots. If Crosby has a fault it's that he looks to pass too much.

Again, if there is a difference it's negligible. If Kessel does have a better shot it's going to be counter-balanced by Crosby's creativity. Kessel will leave goalies staring at their gloves in disbelief, Crosby will leave goalies on their backs trying to figure out what just happened. They'll both score equally as effective, just doing so in different ways. I'll give Kessel a little better shot, Crosby won't be winning any hardest shot contests anytime soon, but again, in the overall game I'd still give the edge to Crosby.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Several times (WJCs, the Olympics, RSL games {taped}). He's a very good prospect and has all the tools, but I don't think he's a once in a lifetime player.

Well I have watched him play in over 80+ games, so I think I am going to have to disagree with you.

He has dominated at every level he has played. It isn't as if he has been playing against kids.

With his package of size, skill and instincts, he is going to be as good as AO and Crosby IMHO.

He doesn't speak English very well, and the culture shock will have a far greater impact on him than it did on AO I feel. So I have no idea what he will do in his rookie year.

But within 2-3 years, he will be putting up the same numbers as Crosby/AO, I have no doubt about that.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The guy who does the Penguins score is notorious for being "realistic". At least 2/3 of the teams out there would have Malkin as no worse than a 10B, probably alot with 10A.

That said...if I was doing the scores Malkin would be a 10B. Kessel a 9C.

I think Malkin is rated appropriately. 10B is too high. Actually, I can't imagine any player rated higher than a 10C, for all practical purposes. There is absolutely no way that Malkin is likely to reach the Gretzky/Lemieux plateau, which is what a 10B indicates.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's a better skater and has a better shot (IMO).

He does not have Crosby's balance, stopping, and lateral movement.

Kessel gets knocked off the puck and doesn't use his change of speed as well as Crosby.

There is more to skating than speed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He does not have Crosby's balance, stopping, and lateral movement.

Kessel gets knocked off the puck and doesn't use his change of speed as well as Crosby.

There is more to skating than speed.

I'll agree that Crosby has much better balance at this point, but he also has a much differant build than Kessel and a more mature body. I still say Kessel is the better skater, and yes I know that goes beyond speed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'll agree that Crosby has much better balance at this point, but he also has a much differant build than Kessel and a more mature body. I still say Kessel is the better skater, and yes I know that goes beyond speed.

When Crosby has the puck on his stick he goes full speed...his lateral movement is much, much better than Kessel.

Kessel, skating wise, not talent wise, reminds me of Rico Fata. He doesn't know how to change gears, and his lateral movement with the puck is not even close to Crosby.

Again, the only thing he has over Crosby is speed, but that doesn't mean much.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I think people are seriously underrating Crosby's finishing ability just because he's not as flashy a goalscorer. This is a guy who scored 39 goals as an 18 year old. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 50 next year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This might be the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Malkin isn't a generational talent essentially because he wasn't breaking records? He was playing in Russia for God's sake.

He wasnt breaking records over there as far as I know(correct me if Im wrong), when Crosby was in nearly all his previous levels, that was my point. (Just go see Crosby Pee-wee, Bantam stats etc.)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
When Crosby has the puck on his stick he goes full speed...his lateral movement is much, much better than Kessel.

Kessel, skating wise, not talent wise, reminds me of Rico Fata. He doesn't know how to change gears, and his lateral movement with the puck is not even close to Crosby.

Again, the only thing he has over Crosby is speed, but that doesn't mean much.

You asked me how many times I've seen Malkin-how many times have you seen Kessel? I don't think you have a very good handle on his skating ability at all.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
He wasnt breaking records over there as far as I know(correct me if Im wrong), when Crosby was in nearly all his previous levels, that was my point. (Just go see Crosby Pee-wee, Bantam stats etc.)

It's even better.. He's generational talent becaue of his Pee-Wee and Bantam stats :bow: ... and because it was "over there" :dunce:

acr*

Mark my words, Kessel>Malkin is going to be the new Ovechkin>Crosby

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think people are seriously underrating Crosby's finishing ability just because he's not as flashy a goalscorer. This is a guy who scored 39 goals as an 18 year old. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 50 next year.

No one (including me) is underrating Crosby's finishing ability. I just happen to think Kessel has a better shot in the sense that it's harder and he's got a bit more of a sniper's touch (again IMO).

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
10B? Try 9B. No way Malkin is a 10. Wont happen.

No need to watch a generational talent play. Just look at the stats. Did Malkin beat any record in the last 5 years? No.
Crosby just beat one NHL record on his first year.(Youngest in the NHL history to score 100 pts)
Whos the youngest with an Art Ross? Gretzky? You can bet he will be in that race next year and if he stays healthy it might well be possible.

Malkin has put up better numbers than AO in the RSL at the same age.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Since when did Pee-Wee records equate a good NHL player? Malkin wasn't a phenom until his draft year.

Like The_Eck said...his record in the RSL is better than Ovechkin.

I'm sick of posting this, but I will anyways.

Ovechkin at 17: 40 GP 8+7=15 (0.38 PPG)
Malkin at 17: 34 GP 3+9=12 (0.35 PPG)

Ovechkin at 18: 53 GP 13+10=23 (0.43 PPG)
Malkin at 18: 52 GP 12+20=32 (0.66 PPG)

Ovechkin at 19: 37 GP 13+14=27 (0.73 PPG)
Malkin at 19: 46 GP 21+26=47 (1.02 PPG)

I guess Ovechkin isn't a generational talent either because he obviously wasn't setting any records.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's even better.. He's generational talent becaue of his Pee-Wee and Bantam stats :bow: ... and because it was "over there" :dunce:

Damn, ok I need to spell it out.

Crosby got a track record of exceptional results that can only be compared to great players like Gretzky, Lemieux etc.
Thats the point, Crosby was always a phenom, this might lead you to think he will always be one, since he was exceptional at every level: Pee-wee, Bantam, US High School, CHL and now NHL, youngest player in history with 100 pts.

KariyaIsGod*

Giving Malkin, Ovechkin, Kessel or Crosby a 10 is an insult to Gretzky and Orr...

VisionQuest*

The only way Kessel is going to reach 100 pts in his first, or frankly, any, NHL season is if 80+ of those points are goals.
Who cares about Crosby's skating....every other part of the kids ability makes up for the one or two steps slower than Kessel he might be.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Giving Malkin, Ovechkin, Kessel or Crosby a 10 is an insult to Gretzky and Orr...

And not giving any prospect with astronomical potential a 10 because it's an "insult" to Gretzky and Orr is just stupid. You're essentially saying that no player can ever, no matter how good they are, match Gretzky and Orr...and I say you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->