Why does Kessel have the same rating as Malkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
And there's a cow flyin outside my window.

I love these more that anything. I remember when Ballard at 11 was the worst thing ever. Or how Martin was to small and skinny to be a regular. And could never play over 20 minutes a game. Leopold, hobey means nothing but is now good enough to go for Tanguay. Vanek = Brendl and will be lucky to share even that much success.

So keep bugging your eyes, and seeing flying cows. I actually enjoy the comments.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Malkin and Kessel both have the potential to be superstars in the NHL, I don't see why comparing the two is such an insult to Malkin.

Perhaps Kessel is less likely to maximize his full potential due to possible attitude problems, but I'd say their ceilings are similar. I see Malkin and Kessel as future stars, but not in the class of Crosby or Ovechkin.

Kessel is 18 and just played his freshman year in college, Malkin is 20 and just finished his 3rd year pro. Malkin is much further along in his development, of course he's going to look better today.

Towelie*

I think Kessel's goal scoring abilities are quite overrated. Severely in my opinion. First off, Toevs had more goals on a worse team then Kessel. Quite frankly, I think Kessel's goal scoring abilities are not really close to Crosby's. I just think that posters think that:

A) Crosby is a good all around player - great play maker

And

B) Kessel is a pure goal scorer

Therefore they conclude one is better then the other at each category, however, it doesn't exactly work this way. Crosby is better at both.

PS: I am not a huge Crosby fan - give me Ovechkin any day of the week.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Kessel's goal scoring abilities are quite overrated. Severely in my opinion. First off, Toevs had more goals on a worse team then Kessel. Quite frankly, I think Kessel's goal scoring abilities are not really close to Crosby's. I just think that posters think that:

A) Crosby is a good all around player - great play maker

And

B) Kessel is a pure goal scorer

Therefore they conclude one is better then the other at each category, however, it doesn't exactly work this way. Crosby is better at both.

PS: I am not a huge Crosby fan - give me Ovechkin any day of the week.

Kessel is still very raw. He has all the abilities. But has yet to really put everything all together. When he does, or if he does. He could be a top notch play maker.

And while i agree that MN is way better than NoDak but to really compare the two. You must not know much about the WCHA. And did you watch Kessel shoot the puck at all this year. Besides the WJC?

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Kessel is still very raw. He has all the abilities. But has yet to really put everything all together. When he does, or if he does. He could be a top notch play maker.

And while i agree that MN is way better than NoDak but to really compare the two. You must not know much about the WCHA. And did you watch Kessel shoot the puck at all this year. Besides the WJC?

Well, there is one way to compare Crosby with Kessel already now (although they are in different draft classes, both ar born in 1987 (Crosby - 7 Aug, Kessel - 2 Oct)and the age difference is less than 2 months). Take the WC2006 in Riga where Crosby played for Canada and Kessel played for US. Crosby lead the whole tournament with 16 (8+8) in 9 games. Kessel, well, he had 2 points (1+1) in 7 games... Just for comparison purposes, Dustin Brown (born 4 Nov 1984) had 7 points (5+2) in 7 games for US. Ryan Sutter had 2 points in 7 games. The point is - while everybody agrees that Crosby will be be better player overall, some argue that Kessel has higher potential will possibly outscore Crosby, at least in goals scored. This just seems silly - Crosby is already at the age of 18 one of the best players in the world. As far as speculation goes Kessel right now is in the same boat with Pavel "super high potential" Brendl and "the next Mario" Alex Daigle. He has proven nothing. I think Crosby is in a complete different class than Kessel who might or might not turn out to be a superstar.

espo*

If you think Kessel might be the better goal scorer. Keep in mind he was the leading assist man on his team and in the WJC.

Kessel is faster, better slapper and wrister. Can pass as good as anyone i have seen.

Is Crosby the better player, Yes.

Kessel can pass as good as anyone you've ever seen? Are we watching the same player here and have you seen some of the great passers in hockey over the years?

Good God.............that kid isn't near the class yet in passing of about a hundred guys i've seen over the years.And from what i've seen i doubt he ever will be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To answer the original question in this thread-why shouldn't Kessel have the same rating is Malkin? He's a highly rated offensive player with excellent tools who has a good chance of reaching his potential in the pros. I know Malkin is put on a pedestal around here, but he's still a prospect who hasn't proven himself at the NHL level yet, and so there is still a degree of uncertainty around him.

As for the Kessel/Crosby "debate," there's no doubt Crosby is the superior overall player and always will be. I also have no doubt that Kessel won't have the immediate impact, he does have legitimate ability, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could, for instance, be a superior goal scorer at his peak.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The guy who does the Penguins score is notorious for being "realistic". At least 2/3 of the teams out there would have Malkin as no worse than a 10B, probably alot with 10A.

That said...if I was doing the scores Malkin would be a 10B. Kessel a 9C.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The guy who does the Penguins score is notorious for being "realistic". At least 2/3 of the teams out there would have Malkin as no worse than a 10B, probably alot with 10A.

Malkin is not a generational talent.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

10B? Try 9B. No way Malkin is a 10. Wont happen.

No need to watch a generational talent play. Just look at the stats. Did Malkin beat any record in the last 5 years? No.
Crosby just beat one NHL record on his first year.(Youngest in the NHL history to score 100 pts)
Whos the youngest with an Art Ross? Gretzky? You can bet he will be in that race next year and if he stays healthy it might well be possible.

Last edited:

Mr.Brownov*

To answer the original question in this thread-why shouldn't Kessel have the same rating is Malkin? He's a highly rated offensive player with excellent tools who has a good chance of reaching his potential in the pros. I know Malkin is put on a pedestal around here, but he's still a prospect who hasn't proven himself at the NHL level yet, and so there is still a degree of uncertainty around him.

As for the Kessel/Crosby "debate," there's no doubt Crosby is the superior overall player and always will be. I also have no doubt that Kessel won't have the immediate impact Crosby did in his rookie season. However, there are some things Kessel does better (SHOCKER!), and he doesn't have legitimate ability, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he could, for instance be a superior goal scorer at his peak.

So what does Kessel do better than Crosby? I guess I have not seen Kessel at his best in all the dozen of games that I have watched.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Kessel and Malkin are both very good players. They are both the kind of players you could build a team around. Malkin is a better playmaker and is sound defensively, while Kessel has a potentially better upside. They have very high cielings.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Next time ratings will be released I want to see Nikolai Kulemin with 9.0C ratings ... or Sergei Shirokov with 8.5B. :sarcasm:

Igor Grigorenko better get a 9.5. And how bout signing with the Red Wings already?:puppy:

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
I think we should all be in a wait and see mode

Ovechkin/Crosby > Kessel > Malkin
You almost got it.

Crosby > Ovechkin > Malkin > Kessel

Some scouts, and Russians more importantly, think Malkin is equal to if not better than Ovechkin. Kessel is a step below the big 3.

espo*

So what does Kessel do better than Crosby? I guess I have not seen Kessel at his best in all the dozen of games that I have watched.

I think he'll point to his skating and shot arsenal as things he does at a higher level then Crosby.i'd agree Kessel has more top end accelaration then Crosby and is a slightly faster skater then Crosby and may have a better and and trickier shot though i'm not sure about that after seeing crosby let the puck fly once he got more confidence in using it this past year.Kessel certainly can let it go though,it's a top notch bullet from what i've seen.It's not beyond the realm of possibility at all that he may become a guy who scores more goals then Crosby in the nhl. The playmaking thing i've seen at least one guy say around here......................don't lay your life savings on that,nor on Kessel outpointing him in the nhl.

I would'nt regarding him outpointing malkin either from what i've seen of malkin and phil.Malkin is a huge guy with sweet hands and great vision on the ice,he can put the puck in the net too and is a very smooth skater.Tremendous talent.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
10B? Try 9B. No way Malkin is a 10. Wont happen.

No need to watch a generational talent play. Just look at the stats. Did Malkin beat any record in the last 5 years? No.
Crosby just beat one NHL record on his first year.(Youngest in the NHL history to score 100 pts)
Whos the youngest with an Art Ross? Gretzky? You can bet he will be in that race next year and if he stays healthy it might well be possible.

This might be the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Malkin isn't a generational talent essentially because he wasn't breaking records? He was playing in Russia for God's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->