Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This. What do you see on CBC on Saturday nights? Not the Habs. Not Ottawa. It is always the damn Leafs, even though they play at the same time as others. When you listen to HC@N what do you hear about most of the times? The fricking Leafs. Even when Ottawa and the Habs were hot last year and playing a few hours drive from Toronto, it was still the Leafs. Even when the Leafs sucked balls it was all about them. Canada's team, eh?

I used to like the Leafs, and in 93 I was hoping for a MTL-TOR finals. But now this exposure just annoys me so I ignore them.

That's more a product of demand than anything else. The Leafs sell, good or bad.

Rogers ratings were really struggling without the Leafs - they had this new Hockey Night program, with Strombo as the host, and Montreal being a really good team and going deep in the playoffs, and McDavid just entering the league....

...and yet no one was watching because it wasn't the Leafs. The Leafs first round series against Washington got them more views than Montreal going to the conference finals against the Rangers did. The same was true of that Boston series too.

That's not really the Leafs fault.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
This. What do you see on CBC on Saturday nights? Not the Habs. Not Ottawa. It is always the damn Leafs, even though they play at the same time as others. When you listen to HC@N what do you hear about most of the times? The fricking Leafs. Even when Ottawa and the Habs were hot last year and playing a few hours drive from Toronto, it was still the Leafs. Even when the Leafs sucked balls it was all about them. Canada's team, eh?

I used to like the Leafs, and in 93 I was hoping for a MTL-TOR finals. But now this exposure just annoys me so I ignore them.

Mmmmm salty tears, yes, let them flow.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I think there is a difference between people who hate the Leafs and those who hate Leaf fans. We see comments that claim that they like the players, but "Leaf fans make it hard to like the team."

The way I see it, these people who hate the Leafs because of rivalries is understandable. It goes both ways.

When people claim to hate the Leafs because of the fans, well, those are the people that make me laugh. These people let the happiness of others make them miserable, and they lash out in the hopes of diminishing the joy felt by others. They rationalize their actions by saying it's "putting Leaf fans in their place" for over-rating players or being "arrogant." Why would you care about those people?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
There are a few select posters on HF who seem more dedicated to hating the Leafs than liking any one particular team. It's pretty sad to see. They're the ones who constantly go into threads and try to derail them on purpose with their troll posts. Main board mods apparently don't care about it though and then bitch about things getting out of hand.

Other times I've seen a ton of Leafs related threads started by non-Leafs fans and then rest of the league comes in to whine about Leafs getting too much attention and Leafs fans trying to shove Leafs content down their throats.

You truly can't win.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Because we are TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS !!!

Deal with it !

Weather u like it or not , we are the most popular team and now a popular very good team getting better and better !

Wooooooooooooooooooo!

ruKus calls it like I sees it !!!
GO F€£¥in LEAFS Gooooo !

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Truthfully, it's because our fans are arrogant.

There's a smugness that comes with being a Leafs fan. An entitlement. And that rubs other fans the wrong way.

Combine that with the fact that Toronto is the Center of the Hockey Universe, the Leafs are always on TV, and the most popular / most covered team in the league, and you can begin to see why the whole "Leafs all day everyday" thing can become a bit sickening if you were a fan of another team.

That have more to do with media than anything else. When the only sports station-TSN and Sportsnet in the Country are based in Toronto, they will tend to report more in Toronto.

Lets haters be haters.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Lets not pretend like we don't have more than our fair share of posters who like to make things harder on all of us by borderline trolling the main boards all the time. I have a hard time imagining it isn't like that to a big extent outside the board as well. We have a lot of fans, so we probably have more "idiots" than most other fan bases just by sheer number of fans alone. All the media coverage doesn't help that either.

It's almost become a meme now though. Why do so many people hate the Leafs? Because it's the "cool" thing to do apparently. I do get a kick out of fans from teams like the Canucks that haven't won anything since 68 chirping the Leafs drought.....since 67

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That's more a product of demand than anything else. The Leafs sell, good or bad.

Rogers ratings were really struggling without the Leafs - they had this new Hockey Night program, with Strombo as the host, and Montreal being a really good team and going deep in the playoffs, and McDavid just entering the league....

...and yet no one was watching because it wasn't the Leafs. The Leafs first round series against Washington got them more views than Montreal going to the conference finals against the Rangers did. The same was true of that Boston series too.

That's not really the Leafs fault.

Keep in mind it's not that people don't watch Montreal, they just watch RDS instead of CBC/Rogers. Toronto will always get more ratings because we don't split our viewership by language.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There can only be one center of the universe. Having lived in British Columbia and Alberta, their obsession with Toronto was borderline pathetic....then I would tell them nobody back home even mentions them, which of course only makes it worse.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

If you were in charge of that network, you'd show the Leafs too.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
David Staples whining about Toronto again. Apparently Toronto 'homer' Ray Ferraro called Leon Draisaitl overpaid.

Staples also stupidly implied in his article that Draisaitl is on the same level as Matthews.
Ray Ferraro-Vancouver resident and never played for the Leafs.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I liked Winnipeg before they moved to PHX. When they returned in 2011 I was excited to cheer for them again. I can't understand why in the world they had to design a new uniform, but they did. It looks wayyyy too close to the Leafs uniform for my liking. Now I hate Winnipeg.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Well, when you are in Vancouver and the Leafs are visiting... you can tune in to the 7pm PST time slot to see Calgary or Edmonton. At the first intermission they will show highlights of the 4pm game.

So that's nice.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Well, when you are in Vancouver and the Leafs are visiting... you can tune in to the 7pm PST time slot to see Calgary or Edmonton. At the first intermission they will show highlights of the 4pm game.

So that's nice.

And we have the best inter fan base diplomacy :sarcasm:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The main boards can certainly be annoying as a Leafs fan. Not only the posters who jump into any Leafs threads to post disparaging takes, but also how every second thread gets a couple of posters mocking Leafs fans out of the blue without consequence. Definitely annoying, and the whole phenomena is just getting worse and there seem to be no intention to nip it. I don't understand how posts that bring Leafs and its fans into an unrelated topic only to be mocked isn't deleted right away.

With that said, there's a bunch of posters who are reasonable around here that loses any semblance of sense they have when they venture over there, and seem on a mission to live up to every negative word. Even as a Leafs fan, there is no other fanbase that annoys the heck out of me as often over there as ours. Except perhaps the Laine-Finns, but they are absolutely rabid and rather cult-like. Better to stay away so you don't get bitten.

Anyway, I just wish people wouldn't go there seemingly only to make a toxic place worse.

Am I crazy or did the board used to have better moderation? I remember one time when I first joined I made a snide remark and I got my post deleted and told to attack the opinion not the poster. Where did that go?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Am I crazy or did the board used to have better moderation? I remember one time when I first joined I made a snide remark and I got my post deleted and told to attack the opinion not the poster. Where did that go?
I've received three infractions in the past month for stuff that routinely goes ignored by mods when fans of other teams say it. Maybe I'm just not as skilled as hiding my wise words. :P

Also can we take back @The Winter Soldier. I think he's paid his dues on the main boards garnering enough attention for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad