Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I have been a fan of this team for a long time, and the ridicule that Leaf fans have had to endure from other fanbases on top of the dejection you felt when you could see that your team was never going to get there under other regimes was a lot to continually bare.

You can't ridicule and kick a fanbase while it is down for as long as other fanbases have done to us, and not expect a day of reckoning when the tide has turned. If they don't like our newfound pride that borders on arrogance, than that is just too bad. You reap what you sow.

What is making it that much worse, is that said haters are doubling down and continuing to try make us feel hesitant/skeptical about our players and our team by constantly tearing them down.

All the hate, will just make it all the more sweet if this team reaches the promised land and wins the holy grail.

With a cup win, the deluge that will transpire from all the salty tears will make sea levels rise and cause global flooding. Have your life jackets on hand, and bring a glass.

Well said, can I delete my post?

Reactions: AppsSyl

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Jealousy. You don't see New York or LA hating on Toronto. Who cares what people in Ottawa and Winnipeg think? Maybe their local city councellors, but that's about it.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The Maple Leafs basically print money and most other Canadian cities hate the attention we get because of the whole centre of the hockey universe thing and invading their building.

Reactions: Confucius

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Any rational Leafs fans know that McDavid is still the better player compared to Matthews. So I don't see it like comparing Matthews to him, because Matthews still scored 40 goals in his rookie season and to complain about him only getting 69 points and not 70 is really petty and an excuse for others to bash him.

why do people take the he hasn't broken 70 point mark as a bash? it's factually correct, and when trying to determine whose better pointing out personal stats is one valid way to prove said opinion.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
why do people take the he hasn't broken 70 point mark as a bash? it's factually correct, and when trying to determine whose better pointing out personal stats is one valid way to prove said opinion.

probably because it's an arbitrary threshold. If he had 79 points would people say, but he hasn't had 80 points, or ppg?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The main boards can certainly be annoying as a Leafs fan. Not only the posters who jump into any Leafs threads to post disparaging takes, but also how every second thread gets a couple of posters mocking Leafs fans out of the blue without consequence. Definitely annoying, and the whole phenomena is just getting worse and there seem to be no intention to nip it. I don't understand how posts that bring Leafs and its fans into an unrelated topic only to be mocked isn't deleted right away.

With that said, there's a bunch of posters who are reasonable around here that loses any semblance of sense they have when they venture over there, and seem on a mission to live up to every negative word. Even as a Leafs fan, there is no other fanbase that annoys the heck out of me as often over there as ours. Except perhaps the Laine-Finns, but they are absolutely rabid and rather cult-like. Better to stay away so you don't get bitten.

Anyway, I just wish people wouldn't go there seemingly only to make a toxic place worse.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
There’s nothing really to hate about the team. They aren’t fighters. Aren’t hitters. And our dirtiest player has cleaned up his act.

If there is hate it’s from interacting with our fan base and/or a jealousy about the wealth of the club.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The main boards can certainly be annoying as a Leafs fan. Not only the posters who jump into any Leafs threads to post disparaging takes, but also how every second thread gets a couple of posters mocking Leafs fans out of the blue without consequence. Definitely annoying, and the whole phenomena is just getting worse and there seem to be no intention to nip it. I don't understand how posts that bring Leafs and its fans into an unrelated topic only to be mocked isn't deleted right away.

With that said, there's a bunch of posters who are reasonable around here that loses any semblance of sense they have when they venture over there, and seem on a mission to live up to every negative word. Even as a Leafs fan, there is no other fanbase that annoys the heck out of me as often over there as ours. Except perhaps the Laine-Finns, but they are absolutely rabid and rather cult-like. Better to stay away so you don't get bitten.

Anyway, I just wish people wouldn't go there seemingly only to make a toxic place worse.

Case in point: the third post of the Mikko Rantanen thread from the main board is about William Nylander....and there's not a Leaf fan in sight. :laugh:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
The team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for a decade recently, I get that. But as soon as things start getting better, everybody just brings out rabid hate. I don’t think even MTL or OTT fans hate Toronto as much as some other fans do. Just look at the main board on these forums. Matthews is never given enough credit, McDavid is on a whole other level than him, and the Leafs in general are just lucky and taking advantage of teams having bad seasons. All Leafs prospects are overrated.

Even the damn NHL has no respect for this city or franchise which they’ve shown simply by giving it **** all for it’s centennial year.

Its simple! Haters gonna hate! soon they will have no choice but to respect the rebuild.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
We're the loudest voice in the hockey world and in the hockey media, for better or for worse. Mix in the bitterness we've experienced for years and I think you can see how that would turn obnoxious for other teams fans - particularly smaller market teams, as a lot of Leaf fans have been bitter about how a team who supports other teams financially could do worse than them in the standings.

You remember that annoying kid in high school who was bitter about being bullied, and reacted by blustering loudly and thinking he was right all the time? We're basically the NHL equivalent of that guy in other teams' eyes.

...except we look way better in blue.

it's probably my fault.

But mostly it's zeke's fault. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
For me (Jets fan living is SW Ontario) its because I know alot of people who know nothing about hockey who claim to be leafs fans and undoubtedly give actual fans a bad name. Whenever the leafs win a few games in a row I will get texts/emails from them saying "Oh baby we are winning the cup this year". Or how their player is the greatest ever (not even referring to current players this is going back to guys like Jason Blake and David Clarkson). When they signed them all I heard was how "this guy puts us over the top, hes the missing piece" meanwhile anyone who knew anything about hockey knew they were overpaid for what they provided and were not the "missing piece". This is amplified because of the size of the fan base (both in general and where I live).

Reactions: AnishLoomba

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
For me (Jets fan living is SW Ontario) its because I know alot of people who know nothing about hockey who claim to be leafs fans and undoubtedly give actual fans a bad name. Whenever the leafs win a few games in a row I will get texts/emails from them saying "Oh baby we are winning the cup this year". Or how their player is the greatest ever (not even referring to current players this is going back to guys like Jason Blake and David Clarkson). When they signed them all I heard was how "this guy puts us over the top, hes the missing piece" meanwhile anyone who knew anything about hockey knew they were overpaid for what they provided and were not the "missing piece". This is amplified because of the size of the fan base (both in general and where I live).
Stay off of the Leafs board

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Never cared about what non Leafs fans think. Stay off the boards of other teams and off the main boards as it is simply a place for mostly young uniformed haters who dislike everything that is Leafs...

We have enough people on here hating the Leafs to keep true Leaf fans busy for a long time.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Sounds like there's something in the water dementing the town folk.

Stay off of the Leafs board

:laugh:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
David Staples whining about Toronto again. Apparently Toronto 'homer' Ray Ferraro called Leon Draisaitl overpaid.

Staples also stupidly implied in his article that Draisaitl is on the same level as Matthews.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's largely historical. The history of Canada is about the West resenting Ontario for dominating the country politically. They literally grow up hating Ontario and Toronto in particular and then add sports rivalry on top of it. Elections are won or lost before they get to vote.

You look at our threads on the main boards and the attacks are almost always Oiler or Canuck fans. Mostly petty, irrational and childish.

Now this is compounded with our sheer numbers. We have a loud voice and so our worst element shines more brightly.

Oiler fans are a special breed. Their most vocal members are so insecure they need us to tell them McD is the best player in the world, Dra is 2nd, and Talbot is an elite goalie...every day.

We had the nerve to get a player who was compared to McDavid and stole some of his spotlight. That some of our fans actively tried to make the case Matthews was his equal or better struck at their core of their insecurity and we must now pay for it every day in every thread no matter the topic. Add to that the Mods have taught HF that abusing the Leafs and their fans is ok and they are being actively encouraged.

Some of you might remember the "Oilers are bad" thread, shut down almost instantly. "Leafs are bad" went on for like 40 pages. This has given them a boldness that we simply cannot have without bans and infractions. Give insecure kids permission to abuse people with the notion they will be protected from retaliation and you have a recipe for a monster.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Truthfully, it's because our fans are arrogant.

There's a smugness that comes with being a Leafs fan. An entitlement. And that rubs other fans the wrong way.

Combine that with the fact that Toronto is the Center of the Hockey Universe, the Leafs are always on TV, and the most popular / most covered team in the league, and you can begin to see why the whole "Leafs all day everyday" thing can become a bit sickening if you were a fan of another team.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Exposure.

This. What do you see on CBC on Saturday nights? Not the Habs. Not Ottawa. It is always the damn Leafs, even though they play at the same time as others. When you listen to HC@N what do you hear about most of the times? The fricking Leafs. Even when Ottawa and the Habs were hot last year and playing a few hours drive from Toronto, it was still the Leafs. Even when the Leafs sucked balls it was all about them. Canada's team, eh?

I used to like the Leafs, and in 93 I was hoping for a MTL-TOR finals. But now this exposure just annoys me so I ignore them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad