Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Cowboys, Leafs, Bruins, Canadians, ect... When you are a rich team, with an incredible history, and lots of fans people tend to hate you. Just how it is. Couple that with the fact that more fans=more obnoxious fans and there you go.

You guys are such a intelligent, passionate fanbase and it's unfortunate a few bad apples skew people's views. I've have had some great interactions with Leaf fans and really enjoy lurking your board.

Hoping to visit Toronto in November and catch a Leaf game!

leafs/avs games are so entertaining. here's hoping!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm sure you would be correct about that. However I was asking in general how do all the Leafs fans attending games in those cities get a lot of tickets?

oh just buy them in general. i know people who fly out all the time or drive up.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
A few years back when we were on the hunt for Luongo I got into it with a Vancouver fan on their page, he told me to comeback when leafs make the playoffs, I said, I would say come back when you you win a cup, but I wouldn't want to start a riot. First warning on HF, no sense of humour with the mods on the Van page.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
They hate Toronto more than they like Vancouver. Sad way to live life.

Not meaning to be a keyboard warrior, but I would seriously consider slapping that fat f*** Nucks fan upside the head if I saw him doing that to a Leafs jersey. It's one thing to hate a team, but its an entirely different thing to desecrate the logo, its history and the jersey like he did in that video. What a fat pathetic tub of shit.

Last edited:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Not meaning to be a keyboard warrior, but I would seriously consider slapping that fat **** Nucks fan upside the head if I saw him doing that to a Leafs jersey. It's one thing to hate a team, but its an entirely different thing to desecrate the logo, its history and the jersey. What a fat tub of ****.

I think that's some promotion for a Canucks radio station. Just garbage. Even in Montreal they have more respect and they are actually a rival team.

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

member 300185

The team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for a decade recently, I get that. But as soon as things start getting better, everybody just brings out rabid hate. I don’t think even MTL or OTT fans hate Toronto as much as some other fans do. Just look at the main board on these forums. Matthews is never given enough credit, McDavid is on a whole other level than him, and the Leafs in general are just lucky and taking advantage of teams having bad seasons. All Leafs prospects are overrated.

Even the damn NHL has no respect for this city or franchise which they’ve shown simply by giving it **** all for it’s centennial year.
Hi. First time poster, long time lurker. I am one of the older guys and I must say I understand your question. I have been a leaf fan since the 1960's and there has always been animosity and hate for the blue and white. But the sheer numbers would suggest that there will be a bunch of people who are simply not that well educated, trolls, or just mean people on both sides of the argument. In other words, many leaf fans make it easy to hate this team, and other teams like to poke fun at failure. And trust me, there has been way more failure than success since our last cup win.

Nice to be here and I look forward to the future being a leaf fan, and its been awhile since I have said that.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I think that's some promotion for a Canucks radio station. Just garbage. Even in Montreal they have more respect and they are actually a rival team.

Agreed. Its also incredibly disrespectful to the rich military lineage of Toronto Maple Leaf players who have fought for this country in both World Wars.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I have no idea where you got that from, but it is 100% laughable.

How so? I've never in my life heard anyone from anywhere piss on TO, the place. Leafs get pissed on all the the time but no Leaf fan should GAF. It's always the naval gazers who whine "why do they hate us so much". They really should grow up.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Just go to tsn or sportsnet website. Tons of leaf exposure. The leafs are a big market team who are going to get the exposure because that's where the demand is. It was less annoying for the haters when leafs were a joke because they could enjoy the misery of leaf fans, but now that the team is good and deserving of the exposure, it annoys them to no end. Just wait til playoffs start, every 3 out of 5 stories/videos will be leafs and 1 will be jets and 1 will be other teams.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The media exposure gets people upset. The fact is thought the Leafs make the networks $$$$.
In general as well, Toronto gets a lot of hate. I enjoy when I visit other places in Canada and hearing people in Winnipeg tell me why their city is so amazing and superior.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
It goes like this...

Can’t even makes the playoffs? Haha!
Can’t even lose properly and come last? Haha!
Can’t even get out of the 1st round? Haha!
Can’t even get out of the 2nd round? Haha!
Can’t even make the finals? Haha!
Can’t even win the cup at home? Or on a sunny day? Haha!

And on and on it goes*

**If you let people define the conversation on your behalf.***

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I guess you have to be from Toronto to "hear" the criticism. You say you don't really care but did you care when you heard all the grumble grumble Toronto/Ontario gripes living out west? Westerners grumble about everyone east of Sask. not just Tor/Ont.
Are you really trying to make the claim people in Vancouver don't hate Toronto more than anywhere else?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Look at this YouTube video to see how much people in Vancouver hate the Leafs.

That place has a weird hate fetish going on. If you're at a business meeting it will be brought up how horrible you are to be associated with Toronto. They are like a gilted ex girlfriend.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I find the Colorado fan hate the weirdest, first of all why? not in the same conference and second of all I bet most leaf fans forget avalanche exist unless we are playing them.

I think it's still resentment for all those Stastny to Toronto proposals that permeated the Trade Board for years. Those threads could (and did) get ugly, but the dude hasn't been an Avalanche for 4 bloody years now, you'd think they'd be over it.

Conversely, when Brad Richards was a free agent back in 2011, Leafs and Rangers fans on the Trade Board leading up to July 1st were at constant war with each other, arguing over which team was the better fit. Those threads got just as ugly, if not more so than Stastny-Toronto threads. However the resentment between the fan bases didn't last very long at all.

Rangers fans are one of the few fan bases with whom we have an amicable relationship with, so it's no surprise the bad blood didn't last. Our teams don't seem to hate each other either, never had an issue with their play callers either.

Avs fans however know how to hold a grudge apparently. You'd think they'd be more mellow given the fact they've got legal marijuana in the state.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I have been a fan of this team for a long time, and the ridicule that Leaf fans have had to endure from other fanbases on top of the dejection you felt when you could see that your team was never going to get there under other regimes was a lot to continually bare.

You can't ridicule and kick a fanbase while it is down for as long as other fanbases have done to us, and not expect a day of reckoning when the tide has turned. If they don't like our newfound pride that borders on arrogance, than that is just too bad. You reap what you sow.

What is making it that much worse, is that said haters are doubling down and continuing to try make us feel hesitant/skeptical about our players and our team by constantly tearing them down.

All the hate, will just make it all the more sweet if this team reaches the promised land and wins the holy grail.

With a cup win, the deluge that will transpire from all the salty tears will make sea levels rise and cause global flooding. Have your life jackets on hand, and bring a glass.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I have been a fan of this team for a long time, and the ridicule that Leaf fans have had to endure from other fanbases on top of the dejection you felt when you could see that your team was never going to get there under other regimes was a lot to continually bare.

You can't ridicule and kick a fanbase while it is down for as long as other fanbases have done to us, and not expect a day of reckoning when the tide has turned. If they don't like our newfound pride that borders on arrogance, than that is just too bad. You reap what you sow.

What is making it that much worse, is that said haters are doubling down and continuing to try make us feel hesitant/skeptical about our players and our team by constantly tearing them down.

All the hate, will just make it all the more sweet if this team reaches the promised land and wins the holy grail.

With a cup win, the deluge that will transpire from all the salty tears will make sea levels rise and cause global flooding. Have your life jackets on hand, and bring a glass.
This is the EXACT argument I have made to others. Of course Leafs fans will retaliate after years of non-stop bashing. Just look at the time arounfd the Phil Kessel trade. My god, fans just would not shut-up. They were enjoying it so much. Unlike anything I have ever seen. And then so same people complain when a Leaf fan takes a shot at their team. (And now everyone loves Phil Kessel LOL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad