Why do we hate all our coaches?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I've had internet since the days of Colin Campbell. Every single coach we've had was hated. Our problems were always blamed on the coach making everything worse: misusing our players, terrible lines, not giving players a chance and most of all, refusing to play the kids.

Colin Campbell was called Colon Cancer. He gave no chance to our stars of the future: Ferraro twins, Sorochan, Galanov, Dube, Blouin. He played old guys like Driver, Lowe, Lidster. And same story for the two decades worth of coaches after Campbell. I mean, is it possible that the coach knows what he's doing when he's playing Lidster over Sorochan?

Maybe there are reasons coaches do certain things: they watch players in practice, they view prospects for what they are today and not as if they already reached their ceiling, they have to deal with personalities, they see little things that fans don't see (which is why the fans don't get hired as million-dollar coaches)?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Everyone loved Renney for a couple of seasons. Team had a bunch of fresh faces including the coach, and they exceeded fans expectations for a few years due to Jagr-Straka-Nylander+ Hank who dropped on the scene like a thermonuclear warhead. Then as things went south and the Gomez and Drury era began we started souring on Renney.

Even with AV we also had a honeymoon period of a couple of season where the team was exciting and offensive and a breath of fresh air after the Torts era.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Who is the "we"? My Global Studies/AP History teacher used to always warn us that "sweeping generalizations are often if not always incorrect."

It's all about expectations. A guy like Renney, he was a caretaker who gave us some VERY entertaining hockey. Roger Neilson stabilized the ship after the turbulent Espo years. Yes, Ted Sator wasn't a good guy, but he got results? Without analyzing too much:

Coaches I've liked in my lifetime: Roger Neilson, Mike Keenan, Tom Renney, Torts, AV

Coaches I've disliked: Muckler, Low

Trottier I can't "hate" he was in over his head and the entire organization was a disaster in his time here. I liked the results Campbell and also Sator got, but both of them chased away or traded players (Zubov/Kovalev and Reijo/Pavelich) that damaged the organization.

I don't hate AV at all, but his methods and style were wearing thin.

Hating a coach and realizing it's time to go are two very different things.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I can only speak of my dislike for AV, as I became a fan the year he was hired, but his system worked, at first. It was exiting hockey. Not so much the last couple of years though, where in my mind the system turned into a one trick pony where most of the goals came from odd man rushes.

It will be exiting with a new coach with new ideas. But really, isn’t most coaches hated before they’re let go? Most have a shelf life but stays beyond that.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'll defend Torts to the death of me. That 2012 team was a culmination of what he had been building for 3 years.

And what he did with Brian Boyle is nothing short of a miracle. When he first came over from the Kings he was a totally uncordinated goof who couldn't stand on his own two feet.

Torts developed him into one of the best depth players in the NHL. Boylers playoff success speaks for itself.

Stralman too. He was on his last legs in this league. Cut by the Devils, Leafs and Blue Jackets.

Then Sather blew it all up in typical NY fashion for the shiny new toy in Nash.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Because they're an easy scapegoat.

It was definitely Alain who lost vs Ottawa not the precious players he might have 'misused.'

Reactions: Off Sides

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'll defend Torts to the death of me. That 2012 team was a culmination of what he had been building for 3 years.

And what he did with Brian Boyle is nothing short of a miracle. When he first came over from the Kings he was a totally uncordinated goof who couldn't stand on his own two feet.

Torts developed him into one of the best depth players in the NHL. Boylers playoff success speaks for itself.

Stralman too. He was on his last legs in this league. Cut by the Devils, Leafs and Blue Jackets.

If by blew it all up you mean added an elite goal scorer that helped the team get further than they have in a very long time, yeah he totally blew it up.

Sather made a lot of real stupid moves, but the Nash trade wasn't one of them imo. I'm real happy we're not stuck with that Dubi contract and he was the biggest loss of that for me.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Because they're an easy scapegoat.

It was definitely Alain who lost vs Ottawa not the precious players he might have 'misused.'

Just go back and look at the Brassard goal to tie Game 5.

Glass and Staal on the ice in the final minute defending a lead in the most important game of the season.

What the f***ing f***? Should have been fired on the spot. The second he walked into the locker room after the horn sounded to end regulation.

Because there was no coming back from there. The series was over at that point. No chance we were winning that game in OT. The players themselves knew it. The Senators knew it. All the people in the half full building in bumblef*** Kanata knew it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Torts definitely has a shelf life. Hard to have a coach that intense last super long. There's talk even now of him being gone in Columbus if they don't make it out of the first round, despite him basically being the best coach they've ever had.

My ultimate complaint about Torts is similar to my complaint about AV...he wouldn't adjust his style and kept insisting the team had no talent and couldn't play anything but conservative shot block hockey.

That all said, he was a good coach for the Rangers for a time. Can't complain in the end. I think he's actually a pretty good coach overall and one of the few I've seen really re-evaluate himself and his methods and come back with Columbus a better coach with better methods.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Coaches always end on bad notes, it's the nature of the business. So, when all is said and done and it's time for a coach to be canned, the fans are usually ready and are sick of them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Just go back and look at the Brassard goal to tie Game 5.

Glass and Staal on the ice in the final minute defending a lead in the most important game of the season.

What the ****ing ****? Should have been fired on the spot. The second he walked into the locker room after the horn sounded to end regulation.

Because there was no coming back from there. The series was over at that point. No chance we were winning that game in OT. The players themselves knew it. The Senators knew it. All the people in the half full building in bumble**** Kanata knew it.

And if he double/triple shifted McDonagh and Girardi people would've just bitched about Dan Girardi....

It's psychology. People want to deflect blame and culpability away from people they like (the players on the ice) and use someone like a coach whose interchangeable and someone they're not as connected to to blame.

You'll never see nevesis say Hank gave up a bad goal. or Machinhead that a Corgi god made a bad play....

Reactions: mrhockey193195

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The only coach I truely didn't like was Renney. He wore out his welcome REAL FAST.

No backbone.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ

Ah I'm so sick of hearing about that team; did they have hustle and heart? Sure. But that team also peaked in February and played .500 hockey from there on out...consistently could not get up for games including the playoffs to put teams away...maybe if Gaborik didn't get injured game 1 vs. Ottawa we would have had a shot against the Devils.

The next season was an abortion and Torts completely fell apart; firing him was one of the best moves we've made in the 2010s...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I liked Tom Renney. I still like Tom Renney.

Most people agreed that Torts did good, but the team had gone as far as they were going under him.

The only one "hated" was AV because he's a scumbag.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
As Gusta has said and he is right, it isn't really a great age for coaching, but throughout history, he's also right in that they don't win here. Not winning championships sours people really fast, especially in a place where it is expected to see winning teams. It isn't just the bench boss' faults but it's easier to replace 1-4 people than it is 18-21.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad