Why Do the Leafs Play So Many Saturday Home Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
shakes said:
The CBC can ask the NHL all they want to have the Leafs on Saturday night, but ultimately it's up to the NHL. At least the NHL still values tradition or do you think the CBC has nude pics of Gary and Ted?

No, but CBC writes a big cheque every year, and if you dont think that the TV rights holders have any say in scheduling, go back to the threads about how OLN is going to have exclusive rights to Monday night games next year, basically meaning that the league is going to schedule very few games on Mondays in order to accomodate both OLN, and other TV rights holders.

Both CBC (Saturdays), and TSN (Wednesdays) have exclusive broadcast rights in Canada as well. Major TV partners pay good money for the NHL, and the NHL schedules around their desires.

As a result, Canadian teams tend to schedule around these limitations, so as to allow their regional broadcast partners the ability to pick up as many games as possible. i.e.: Edmonton has only six Wednesday night games this season, four of which are on TSN. Calgary has ten Wednesday night games, but six of them are on TSN. Both teams have generally tried to avoid Wednesday games unless they are on TSN, and the NHL has tried to accomodate them.

The tradition argument is laughable, especially given how many people have attacked Bettman for destroying tradition in the name of the all mighty dollar.

4 of the 9 away games are in the US of A.

Meaning five of nine (a majority) are in Canada. And the number is really only this low because the Leafs only come to the west once this year, and it is all on one road trip. Next year when they dont come to the NW at all, the number will either be one lower, or CBC will work to get another game in Montreal or Ottawa on a Saturday.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
shakes said:
With the exception of a couple, the teams that play the Leafs at home on Saturday should have no trouble selling tickets anyway. (Philly, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, New York) Or are you trying to say that the Leafs should be a travelling road show to increase attendance in other buildings?

I am saying that the league should try taylor a schedule to help all teams sell as many tickets as possible(since that is the largest portion of the profits a team makes). Having a team that sells out it's building every game, play on more saturday nights at home does not gives them no advatange when it comes to selling tickets, giving weaker teams an extra few games at home on a saturday night might mean an extra quarter of a million in terms of revenue(if not more).

I am not saying toronto should never play at home on saturdays, but maybe if they play 12 homes games instead of 16(within a period where there are 25 chances to play a saturday home game) it will give teams with lesser luck in the selling tickets department a better shot of making a lil cash.

That being said the arguement above that what CBC wants the CBC will get since they are dishing out huge cash for the rights is valid(ie they want to show leafs games and not be bothered by travelling expenses).

For arguemnt sake i only notice this trend for Toronto having so many home games on a saturday night because i see it every weekend, it would be applied to any team that has no problems when it comes to attendence(ie rangers, philly, montreal, boston etc.) if the situation is similar.

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Resolute said:
No, but CBC writes a big cheque every year, and if you dont think that the TV rights holders have any say in scheduling, go back to the threads about how OLN is going to have exclusive rights to Monday night games next year, basically meaning that the league is going to schedule very few games on Mondays in order to accomodate both OLN, and other TV rights holders.

Both CBC (Saturdays), and TSN (Wednesdays) have exclusive broadcast rights in Canada as well. Major TV partners pay good money for the NHL, and the NHL schedules around their desires.

The tradition argument is laughable, especially given how many people have attacked Bettman for destroying tradition in the name of the all mighty dollar.

Meaning five of nine (a majority) are in Canada. And the number is really only this low because the Leafs only come to the west once this year, and it is all on one road trip. Next year when they dont come to the NW at all, the number will either be one lower, or CBC will work to get another game in Montreal or Ottawa on a Saturday.

Yeh, more Montreal or Ottawa HNIC games. Terrible situation that will be. Seriously, how can you be arguing that more games against traditional rivals is a bad thing?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
shakes said:
Yeh, more Montreal or Ottawa HNIC games. Terrible situation that will be. Seriously, how can you be arguing that more games against traditional rivals is a bad thing?

I gather your attempt at both changing the subject, and trying to argue a statement I did not make is you conceding the argument regarding CBC's influence on the Saturday schedule?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Resolute said:
I gather your attempt at both changing the subject, and trying to argue a statement I did not make is you conceding the argument regarding CBC's influence on the Saturday schedule?

Interesting... saying that I'm arguing a statement that you didnt make then following it up by arguing a statement that I didn't make.

You made two comments on how Toronto's away games were in Canada, which really didn't really fit into anything I was saying. Why bring it up if you don't have a problem with it?

I never said that CBC didnt influence the scheduling, only that the NHL had the final word. Obviously, with Hockey Day In Canada, the NHL gave the CBC AND Canadians what they wanted. You obviously have a hate on for HNIC so, really, is there any point in arguing anything with you?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Toronto is also a very good "visiting team" draw. Maybe the theory is more people are willing to come to a Toronto game, regardless of a date, so they save the saturday games for teams which may not draw as well. Montreal is similar in they draw well on the road too. I guess if these teams can draw a sell-out or close to, it could be viewed as a waste for them to use a saturday game for either of these two teams.

I'd rather see them playing a more balanced schedule. They seem to have alot of back to backs because of the games in Toronto on saturday and alot of needless travel as well. This week is a good example of both. 3 games in 4 nights leading into a saturday home game. Home, off-day, away, home. Then a day off (Sun) then 3 in four again, so they can set-up another saturday game.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
alright..since HNIC and ratings don't seem to help it..here's my answer.
First of all. Personally, I look forward to home games on TV more than away games...its due to the atmosphere of the game, and just the fact that the leafs are home. However, games in Buffalo, Ottawa, and Montreal could be classified almost as home games as well.

This week is a great example though. Leafs head south to play florida, tampa, and atlanta on the weekdays, but then come home on saturday to play san jose.

The first two saturday night away games were both in Montreal, next up is ottawa in 3 weeks or so..then New Jersey (which could provide a rare sellout), Edmonton (sellout), NY Rangers (sellout), Montreal (AGAIN) Philly (sellout)

HNIC broadcasts a few weekday leaf games, and only one is on the road, which is a good game against Crosby and the Pens (and will be a huge ratings grab, and will be a sellout. (good attendance already (95%) + Leafs + HNIC in town = sellout)

So yeah..CBC really isn't creating anymore sellouts in other places..however, last nights rare game in Phoenix might be a chance for the Coyotes to bring in some fans in, and it had an attendance of : 18,095 (103.4% full)

There is simply something about a game being on HNIC that adds something. Leaf games on CBC compared to Sportsnet or TSN seem to be something i look forward to a whole lot more. I don't know why, but saturday night leaf games are highlights of the week for me.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
go_leafs_go02 said:
So yeah..CBC really isn't creating anymore sellouts in other places..however, last nights rare game in Phoenix might be a chance for the Coyotes to bring in some fans in, and it had an attendance of : 18,095 (103.4% full)

CBC televising a game makes 0 difference in the US, the fact that Pheonix was playing at home on a saturday night against a good team might have had alot to do with that sell out. If they were playing a lessser team it may not have been as good for attendence figures but it still would have been more then a game during the week. Which would be further to support my arguement that the league in order to maximize profits for all teams, should try schedule weaker teams(in terms of attendence) more often on saturday nights.

For leafs fans you could still see your favorite team every saturday night, the game just doesn't have to be in toronto all the time.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
shakes said:
I never said that CBC didnt influence the scheduling, only that the NHL had the final word. Obviously, with Hockey Day In Canada, the NHL gave the CBC AND Canadians what they wanted. You obviously have a hate on for HNIC so, really, is there any point in arguing anything with you?

I'm sure the CBC's TV deal stipulates that 2 Canadian teams play on a saturday, and more than likely they push for as many Toronto home games as possible (its the cheapest broadcast, and has th ehighest potential viewing audience). Meaning that the NHL really only has the final word on the TV contract is signed, but they aren't going to start tampering with the NHLs longest TV deal and their biggest deal in Canada because they want to flex their muscle and show the CBC who's boss as that would be very counter-productive. -

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
arrbez said:
considering it's not really any sort of competitive advantage, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to stick with tradition on this one.
Sticking with a 'tradition' that stems back to the days where there was only one "anglophone" Canadian team in a six-team league simply doesn't cut it when the situation has drastically changed and there are now as many Canadian teams as there were teams in the league when the telecast started. Hockey is a business, and Saturday night exposure is gold in terms of marketing and developing a fan base outside of the immediate region of a team. As people have rightly noted, there are a good number of Leafs fans across the country... but why do you think that is? Just an innate love for such a wonderful team, or because it's the only consistent hockey that's been beemed into their house for decades on end? What you call tradition can more accurately be termed a systemic problem from the perspective of the other franchises.

A quick comparison of TSN's and CBC's coverage is very telling... the network with the public funding and national mandate of promoting country-wide culture shows us nothing but the games from the most profitable team in the entire league even with the country losing two franchises and nearly losing upwards of three others to bankrupcy, while the network with a private mandate who has every reason to try to show nothing but the most 'profitable' games actually shows a considerably more accurate representation of the league and its product, both in terms of Canadian teams and overall. In terms of addressing the CBC's mandate, that is nothing short of an embarassment.

X0ssbar

boredmale said:
I am saying that the league should try taylor a schedule to help all teams sell as many tickets as possible(since that is the largest portion of the profits a team makes). Having a team that sells out it's building every game, play on more saturday nights at home does not gives them no advatange when it comes to selling tickets, giving weaker teams an extra few games at home on a saturday night might mean an extra quarter of a million in terms of revenue(if not more).

I am not saying toronto should never play at home on saturdays, but maybe if they play 12 homes games instead of 16(within a period where there are 25 chances to play a saturday home game) it will give teams with lesser luck in the selling tickets department a better shot of making a lil cash.

That being said the arguement above that what CBC wants the CBC will get since they are dishing out huge cash for the rights is valid(ie they want to show leafs games and not be bothered by travelling expenses).

For arguemnt sake i only notice this trend for Toronto having so many home games on a saturday night because i see it every weekend, it would be applied to any team that has no problems when it comes to attendence(ie rangers, philly, montreal, boston etc.) if the situation is similar.

Completely agree boredmale. I've thought the same exact thing when I saw the schedule.

CBC can still show the Leafs on Saturdays if they are playing away but it makes no sense from an overall league perspective, especially when the "partnership" is trying to maximize revenues, to give them 16 Saturday home games.

Speaking from experience as a CBJ fan - we have 6 home games on Saturday this year. I can almost gurantee you that all of those games will be sellouts - even with our record. However those same games on a Fri/Sun or weekday will most likely be a thousand or two short of a sellout.

I am sure this is the same story for most teams in this league as everyone is going to have stronger attendace numbers for home Saturday games. Teams like the Leafs and Canadiens will sell out regardless of the night they play on - they deserve some Sat home games as well but not 16 - geesh.

The league needs to spread the wealth and the players should encourage it as the more revenues generated the less dough the players will have to escrow or give back to the owners.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
shakes said:
Interesting... saying that I'm arguing a statement that you didnt make then following it up by arguing a statement that I didn't make.

You made two comments on how Toronto's away games were in Canada, which really didn't really fit into anything I was saying. Why bring it up if you don't have a problem with it?

I was asking for confirmation of my interpretation of your comments. I was not simply assuming an incorrect argument.

And no, I like HNIC just fine. Problem is, it doesn't really begin until 8:00. The 5:00 game is all Toronto, Toronto, Toronto. Even if you add another Canadian team as their opponent, all CBC cares about is Toronto. Ottawa or Montreal might as well be Florida or Carolina for all CBC cares.

At least we are fortunate enough out west to see a decent rotation between the Flames, Oilers and Canucks.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
sensens said:
Sticking with a 'tradition' that stems back to the days where there was only one "anglophone" Canadian team in a six-team league simply doesn't cut it when the situation has drastically changed and there are now as many Canadian teams as there were teams in the league when the telecast started. Hockey is a business, and Saturday night exposure is gold in terms of marketing and developing a fan base outside of the immediate region of a team. As people have rightly noted, there are a good number of Leafs fans across the country... but why do you think that is? Just an innate love for such a wonderful team, or because it's the only consistent hockey that's been beemed into their house for decades on end? What you call tradition can more accurately be termed a systemic problem from the perspective of the other franchises.

A quick comparison of TSN's and CBC's coverage is very telling... the network with the public funding and national mandate of promoting country-wide culture shows us nothing but the games from the most profitable team in the entire league even with the country losing two franchises and nearly losing upwards of three others to bankrupcy, while the network with a private mandate who has every reason to try to show nothing but the most 'profitable' games actually shows a considerably more accurate representation of the league and its product, both in terms of Canadian teams and overall. In terms of addressing the CBC's mandate, that is nothing short of an embarassment.

Sounds like a good reason to privatize the CBC !!

:rant:

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
kyle747 said:
Sounds like a good reason to privatize the CBC !!
:rant:
That's really not the direction I was going in with my argument - I certainly don't want to see a privatized CBC. I just wish the CBC would re-consider its role in terms of giving all of the Canadian teams more of a platform on its nationally-televised broadcasts. Honestly, it would be like Monday Night Football showing only NY Giants games, or Fox showing nothing but Yankees games... it just doesn't happen.

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
kyle747 said:
Toronto games should be blacked out - in Toronto :biglaugh:
:teach:

toronto games are blacked out in Ottawa. The only ones that they show are Habs vs. Leafs. It sucks, I get to watch 8 games all year.

Avery4Byng*

RangerBoy said:
CBC wants to have Leafs on the first half of their Saturday night doubleheader
All the more reason to only tune into the 2nd half :D

Transported Upstater

CHfan4ever said:
Because Pat Quinn is sleeping with Gary Bettman ;)

CHfan4ever, thank you very much for making me vomit up my very tasty Chicken Mole Burrito :madfire:

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
I would do anything to see ottawa - the best team in the league. I swear i would tune in every time and i never watch the leafs games. I bet lots of people are in the sam e boat as me too, they just are sick of watching the blue and white.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
sensens said:
I'm sure that coordinating facility events in six different cities like that would be more difficult than it appears on the surface, but at least an effort towards such an idea would at least approach fairness in light of the fact that there are actually six full-blown NHL teams in this country.

Like it or not, leafs = ratings on CBC. Putting on a Calgary/Edmonton game will *never* draw the viewership that the leafs do so it makes no sense for CBC to do it as their first game. Unfortunately, even if all 357 people in Alberta watched the game it's still nowhere near what a leafs game draws in Ontario.

The only way to get all Canadian teams on TV would be to have the leafs play them on a rotating basis on Saturday nights (which really isn't that bad of an idea). Privatizing CBC wouldn't change anything as they would have even more motivation to just keep leafs on TV (better ratings).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->