Why do teams not always start their #1 line

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
This is probably an obvious answer but I’m slow.... At the start of the game why not start your #1 line? Noticed just now that Tor started with Kadri and I’ve noticed other instances where the #1 line hasn’t started

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is probably an obvious answer but I’m slow.... At the start of the game why not start your #1 line? Noticed just now that Tor started with Kadri and I’ve noticed other instances where the #1 line hasn’t started

Maybe a matchup being chased or you want your 'energy' line to come out banging bodies or your top face off guy to win the opening draw.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Occasionally you reward one of your other lines for playing well the previous game. Sometimes you might be the visiting team and you're playing in one of the players' hometown. Sometimes you're playing a rival club and you anticipate some shenanigans likely to happen at the opening puck drop. And I forget if the visiting coach has to declare its starting lineup first, so the home coach could opt to put out a shutdown line.

Sometimes you have a prospect call up playing his first game and you want to give him a little more spotlight. I remember going to a Kings game years ago and they had former top prospect Scott Barney in their starting lineup. Barney had missed three straight years due to back injuries and was finally in his first year playing pro. He had meager AHL numbers, but earned a brief call up. It might seem a trivial thing, but I'm sure Barney appreciated standing at center ice during the national anthem. And if his family/friends were in the crowd, I'm sure they enjoyed Barney having his name announced.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Babcock recently said in our four game winning streak earlier he was starting Matthews line because they've been winning games when he does.

So outside of the obvious one like matchups, I feel like superstition could be another for some coaches.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
IIRC there was a game between Vancouver and Calgary, almost like 6 years ago and both teams started their 4th lines and it was an instant line brawl the second the puck dropped. Not really sure what I offered with this, but, sometimes teams send messages from the start of the game.

Reactions: varank

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
IIRC there was a game between Vancouver and Calgary, almost like 6 years ago and both teams started their 4th lines and it was an instant line brawl the second the puck dropped. Not really sure what I offered with this, but, sometimes teams send messages from the start of the game.

I remember lmao. Torts was pissed

Reactions: SharksCyclops

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Each team is different, but some teams will have a shut down line which is always matched to the opponents top line, leaving their own top lines to match up against 'weaker' opposition.

Sometimes it's to set a standard for the game, whether it's physicality or speed, etc.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
that was in 2014 i believe, it was hilarious

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
The Devils and Rangers did that in 2012, and Torts was the Rangers coach at the time for that one too lmao

If I remember correctly, one of the players (can't remember who) was playing his first nhl game and was ejected after the brawl. His dad was in the stand and he "played like 2 seconds!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah. Hartley had made a habit of starting the fourth line if they had a good game the game before. Maybe it was part of this trend, or maybe it was to push Torts' buttons, but he started the fourth line against Vancouver that game after they'd scored the game before, and Torts decided to turn it into brawl. He flew off the handle yelling at Hartley, and even told Bieksa to take the faceoff so that he could fight whatever Flames player was at centre instead of the rookie.

Then Torts made it a full WWE production by trying to attack Hartley in the dressing room during the intermission.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I used to love it when the Senators would throw the Pizza Line out there and they'd score on their first shift.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Yeah. Hartley had made a habit of starting the fourth line if they had a good game the game before. Maybe it was part of this trend, or maybe it was to push Torts' buttons, but he started the fourth line against Vancouver that game after they'd scored the game before, and Torts decided to turn it into brawl. He flew off the handle yelling at Hartley, and even told Bieksa to take the faceoff so that he could fight whatever Flames player was at centre instead of the rookie.

Then Torts made it a full WWE production by trying to attack Hartley in the dressing room during the intermission.
Haha, I remember all that. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They send out Kadri's line to see how Maurice is going to try to match-up. Is he going to put try to match shut-down line with shut-down line with Lowry, is he going to read the Kadri line as the weak line and try to exploit it by playing Scheifele, or is he going to put out the offensive-tilted line of Connor-Little-Ehlers. Hard to tell what Maurice wanted out of this game, as once the Jets started chasing the game, line-matching went out the door, and every 2nd or 3rd shift was given to Scheifele and Wheeler.

The other question to this is? What is the Leafs first line? It's probably JT-Marner due to firepower but Auston is our best player.

Another generally ignored thing on these boards is how coaches are chasing match-ups with defenders vs forwards.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Countermatching lines. Coaches trying to get their top line out against weaker opposition.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Theres a wheel of fortune hidden in the locker room your coach plays before every game, thats how it is decided

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad