Why do so many Europeans think lockout is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
There has been articles about many NHLers in Europe saying the lockout is over and that there will be a season. Nieminen, Hahl and now Sundin have all been quoted in newspaper (in Europe) talking about this.

The question is why? Are they uninformed? Are they late? Don't they have access to the PA site? Something's wrong!

Hinger

Feb 19, 2005
WE all were Uninformed!

The same reason many of us felt the same way! The mainstream media at large stressed that the deal was done and it (Saturday) would only be a formality with both sides "coming to reason," recognizing the irrepairable damage that would result without an imminent deal! Besides, why would they cancel the entire season and forge a new meeting only days later? Well, surely not to let us down yet again! ARRGGHH! I am adding salt to my own open wound! I guess one can not rely on the media to report facts! It just goes to say, "It ain't over til it is!"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's the $64k question. I think i put together a legit theory, but I can't find a place for publications and media outlets reporting, with direct quotes from players, that they have been told the lockout is over. Ville Nieminen's quote really baffles me.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
I know some overseas team sites speculated that NHLers would be playing their last game. But it seems now that they're all up to date on the news.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
I thought that the gag order was back on? I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that players and owners aren't suppose to talk now? :dunno:

Balej20*

Lady Rhian said:
I thought that the gag order was back on? I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that players and owners aren't suppose to talk now? :dunno:

according to Goodenow, the players are allowed to talk whenever they want...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Balej20 said:
according to Goodenow, the players are allowed to talk whenever they want...

They can talk about what they like.
Then they can talk about retracting their previous statement.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Something's up.

This is why I have optimism. It's not misunderstanding because we live in a world where the news comes instantly. The PA members in europe just have to find a computer and type in tsn.ca and they have their lockout update.

Balej20*

futurcorerock said:
Something's up.

This is why I have optimism. It's not misunderstanding because we live in a world where the news comes instantly. The PA members in europe just have to find a computer and type in tsn.ca and they have their lockout update.

Didnt someone just say on this thread that the players are now up to date...

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Smail said:
Could someone possibly translate Sundin's article? (and tell us if the newspaper has any legitimity)

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?d=751&a=244361

This is what Inter Tran's translation came out to:

Tablespoons Straits gradeä renounce was springing if NHL- game in winter
Los Angeles. All am not having goats up was springing if NHL- game in winter, defiance all.
Tablespoons Straits, lagkapten in Toronto Maple Leafs, sgerä to GAME- Express:
– Self ä substitute optimist and am believing still that the find term that find a lsningö.

:lol Sorry, I tried.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The guy that reports on Adam Hall and Kimmo Timonen's team in Finland, Kal-Pa, said that Hall and Timonen were told not to play in their last game(which would have been early Saturday morning here, when excitement was high) and both were awaiting word to return to North America, but are now slated to play in the next game.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Lady Rhian said:
This is what Inter Tran's translation came out to:

Tablespoons Straits gradeä renounce was springing if NHL- game in winter
Los Angeles. All am not having goats up was springing if NHL- game in winter, defiance all.
Tablespoons Straits, lagkapten in Toronto Maple Leafs, sgerä to GAME- Express:
– Self ä substitute optimist and am believing still that the find term that find a lsningö.

:lol Sorry, I tried.
What about goats? :lol:

Told you, translators aren't the best things in the world. :joker: Well maybe the ones that can be purchased are better.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
nomorekids said:
The guy that reports on Adam Hall and Kimmo Timonen's team in Finland, Kal-Pa, said that Hall and Timonen were told not to play in their last game(which would have been early Saturday morning here, when excitement was high) and both were awaiting word to return to North America, but are now slated to play in the next game.

Well, there we have it. That last bit of optimism shot to hell. :lol:

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
ladybugblue said:
However the time difference is that Europe is ahead of U.S. so they would have the news earlier in time than we had.
Exactly, which means they knew of something before the meeting started to have players quoted on the deal.

Edit: Where'd the post go? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad