Why Do Sharks Employ Dump & Chase?

t40

May 1, 2014
New member here, and fairly new to hockey. I have a burning question (and please educate me if I have this all wrong). Why do the Sharks only use the Dump & Chase technique? Obviously the Kings made adjustments to counter it making it ineffective. Couldn't the Sharks have changed their strategy to carrying the puck through the zone instead? If it was a strategy that they could have switched to but didn't, then that was a huge coaching mistake. It was very frustrating watching this series. The Sharks would just fire the puck down the rink like it was a hot potato. Even when we crossed the blue line, we would still dump it deep into the zone. Why would anyone think that D&C is effective? The defenders are already back and have a beat on the puck. It might work against the weaker teams, but obviously it doesn't work against the skilled teams (like the ones they go up against in the playoffs!) How many more years will it take before the coaching staff figures it out?

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I saw a whole lot of senseless and futile skating through the neutral zone, culminated with bad passes up high and through the slot, resulting in countless turnovers and hopeless scoring chances. I didn't see a lot of low in the zone forechecking, cycling and players moving off the puck. That would all be fine if they were transitioning the way they were in the first 3 games, but no, they weren't.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
D&C hockey is a fallback position for the Sharks. They prefer chip and chase (C&C), retrieving the puck before it gets to the corner. The question is how often they are falling back to D&C? How well are they exiting their own zone and getting through the neutral zone? How risk averse are they about trying to get absolutely clean entries into the offensive zone? The Sharks are above average for being risk averse although they aren't extreme in being risk averse as they were in the past.

When playing well, the Sharks are very high end for executing chip and chase. Opposing teams need to stop them before they get to their entries; they won't stop them at the blueline. The Kings were killing their exit plays with a heavy forecheck and having their defense protect against indirects on exit plays (a favored method of the Sharks).

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
New member here, and fairly new to hockey. I have a burning question (and please educate me if I have this all wrong). Why do the Sharks only use the Dump & Chase technique?

The Sharks don't only use it. Although the degree to which they might overuse it in a game or a series can lead to losses.

Couldn't the Sharks have changed their strategy to carrying the puck through the zone instead?

Since you say you are new to hockey, I will do my best to educate you as I can on the strategy.

Carrying the puck into the zone and attacking on the rush is clearly the ideal. Of course, since it's the ideal, defenders tend to focus on limiting the offense's ability to enter the zone with the puck and speed. If you have three defenders at the blue line ready to knock you off the puck, trying to carry it into the zone is going to be extremely difficult and likely result in lots of costly turnovers that will lead to high scoring chances going back against you. The only way to penetrate that defensive front is to send the puck in deep and then chase after it with speed and size in an attempt to get it back first.

From the defensive or neutral zone, it's often a result of getting forechecked hard by the opposition. If Justin Braun has the puck on the defensive zone and he has a forward rushing him quickly, he needs to get that puck out of the zone quickly or else it will result in a costly turnover. Ideally he'd be able to find an open teammate and hit him with a crisp pass. But barring that (whether through fault of Braun, his other linemates, the skill of the opposing Kings players, or some combination of all 3), getting the puck out of the D-zone and hoping to retrieve it in the neutral zone or offensive zone is still preferable to turning the puck over deep in the D-zone. Which still happened a lot.

Obviously the Kings made adjustments to counter it making it ineffective.

And that's basically what hockey is. There are certain strategies that are ideal for an offense. But those are basically the same strategies ideal for EVERY offense. So every defense tries to counter them. Then the offense tries to adapt to that counter. Then the defense tries to contain or counter that adaptation. And so on. At the end of the game/series, it comes down to who executes those actions slightly better.

After the first 3 games, the Kings took away the Sharks ability to get open looks off of scoring rushes, and the Sharks weren't good enough to overcome that. On the flip side, the Sharks tried to take away the Kings ability to get open looks off of scoring rushes.....and the SJ defenders regularly missed assignments.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
What made the Sharks so good during the season was being fast and beating the opponent to the puck after it was dumped, chipped in. That is also what makes them vulnerable in a 7 game series where a familiar opponent can make changes and stop it. If you see it once and then not again for a month its hard to try things and get immediate feedback, but a series allows you the luxury of trying something, evaluating what you did and what affect it had and either sticking with it or trying something else 2 nights later. Hence why their playoff record is what it is.

The first 3 games of the series it looked like the Sharks had an extra guy on the ice because they were moving and cycling the puck in the offensive end after they dumped it in there. If you try and stop the Sharks forwards from dumping and chasing you will fail. The Kings saw how slow the Sharks defense is and pressured them so the Sharks forwards had to come back and help to just get the puck out of the zone. Instead of the Sharks forwards getting the puck on the move at the blue line or in the neutral zone, they got it most times facing their own goalie or the boards. The Sharks forwards never got any separation in the neutral zone and weren't moving any faster than the Kings were. Dump and chase doesn't work if you don't cleanly beat the opponent to the puck. Its hard to start a cycle with your face smashed up against the glass.

Besides Niemi having a shaky season I wanted to see Stalock in the net for the playoffs. He moves the puck better and much more than Niemi. Stalock can get the puck moving in the opposite direction before the Kings forwards can stifle the Sharks defense and create the separation the Sharks forwards need to be able to let their speed work for them.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
the Sharks like to cycle the boards by dumping the puck behind the blueline and out muscling the defenders.

They're good at it, but yes obviously the Kings figured it out. The Kings are the only team in the league that are stronger then the Sharks at the board game, which is why this match up scared the **** out o me.

The system is as big a problem as anything,needs a serious revamp and some inspired players to buy into it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad