Why do forwards/centers run the offense in hockey?

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
It's the opposite in the NBA. Guards or backcourt usually run the offense despite its name suggesting "guards" or defenseman. Why is it rare to have the D man run the offense in the NHL? On the other hand forwards/centers rarely run the offense in the NBA unless you're Lebron/Jokic/Embiid/Giannis maybe.

Can't defenseman who are in the back of the ice have better guard-like skills such as puck handling or shooting or speed? I've noticed that forwards are more offensively skilled than defenseman in NHL but in NBA it's the opposite where guards are more skilled offensively.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Basketball is an alternating possession sport, so the center can play closer to the net at both ends and the guards further from it. Hockey doesn't alternate possessions, so a defenseman must remain closest to his net at both ends. They play a C/PF role in the Dzone and a guard role in the ozone. The 3PT line also muddies the water. A better comparable to hockey positions is soccer, except hockey amalgamates two positions into one because the surface is smaller.

The rough basketball equivalents are:
Center= Defensive Defenseman
Power Forward=Offensive Defenseman
Small Forward= Two-way Center
Shooting Guard=Goal-scoring Winger
Point Guard=Play-making winger

Edit. Height also determines basketball positions as much as ability does. Where as it's primarily ability in hockey.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Some interesting answers in here. I'd also add that, in the most simplistic aspect, getting to the goal in basketball requires getting the ball over the defenders. Getting to the goal in hockey requires getting the puck behind the defenders. There are inherent advantages to positioning further out if you need to go over people and there are inherent advantages to positioning closer in if you're trying to get behind people.

Reactions: Noldo

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's the opposite in the NBA. Guards or backcourt usually run the offense despite its name suggesting "guards" or defenseman. Why is it rare to have the D man run the offense in the NHL? On the other hand forwards/centers rarely run the offense in the NBA unless you're Lebron/Jokic/Embiid/Giannis maybe.

Can't defenseman who are in the back of the ice have better guard-like skills such as puck handling or shooting or speed? I've noticed that forwards are more offensively skilled than defenseman in NHL but in NBA it's the opposite where guards are more skilled offensively.

I think hockey is more similar to 5 a side soccer. Your role is strictly defined, you can’t go running around everywhere on the pitch. It would be difficult and exhausting for defensemen to run the offense by themselves for multiple reasons.

Getting out of the defensive zone in hockey is very difficult due to the existence of tactics such as the neutral zone trap, as well as the icing rule. The best option for defensemen is to find a good first pass to the center, and the center distributes to a winger who will usually lead the offense the other way.

If a D man in hockey just tried to run the offense by themselves, they would either cause turnovers in the neutral zone or throw their teammates offsides at the offensive zone blue line. They would also frequently ice the puck under pressure.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Defensemen can like prime Karlsson but the best players tend to be put at center at a young age because its normally the most impactful position.

If you're bad at defense but a great scorer or playmaker they normally move you to wing, its just not common for a youth coach to put their offensive star on d unless they are Swedish or they refuse to play any other position

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

You seem new to hockey just Google Ottawa Karlsson, or makar or Hughes. Letang when Crosby and malkin were injured

Orr if you want to go older . There are plenty of defenseman that can be the the person running the play its just most of the time coaches would rather have their forwards running offense and their defense playing defense

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Basketball doesn't have offsides. Guards run the play because the moment they get the ball the forwards and can run to the offensive zone and set up.

If the Dman has the puck, he has to be the first one into the offensive zone and is therefore out of position.
Yup this is the main thing I think. If forwards could cheat up ice you'd see dmen as the focal point of offense.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
1) The best players grow up playing center or wing because that's just "what you do" in youth hockey

2) Hockey is a very low-scoring game, defensemen have to be cautious and keep the back secure because one goal is often the difference maker

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
idk anything about basketball but the biggest and most fundamental part of offense in hockey is cycling the puck from the corners and using dead zones which are down low areas along the boards that dont get defended too tightly. defensemen can't really be anything other then a pass option here.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Basketball doesn't have offsides. Guards run the play because the moment they get the ball the forwards and can run to the offensive zone and set up.

If the Dman has the puck, he has to be the first one into the offensive zone and is therefore out of position.
Just wondering. Why does hockey have off-sides as a rule? I mean the scoring is already low enough. I can understand icing because it would mean too much throw the puck back. But offside is to limit the offense right?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Just wondering. Why does hockey have off-sides as a rule? I mean the scoring is already low enough. I can understand icing because it would mean too much throw the puck back. But offside is to limit the offense right?

I honestly have no clue what the rationale was behind the creation of the offside rule. I mean, I like it myself. I think it forces teams to play more structured instead of just leaving forwards down in the offensive zone goal sucking. But as to what the specific intent was with the rule, idk.

Reactions: Just Linda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Offsides are lighter than before you couldn't pass two lines up. Before that you couldn't pass forward at all.

But its so people don't Cherrypick

You would just have your best forward sitting in the otherzone with their best dman also there waiting for the puck

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Same reason why soccer has offsides, it’s to prevent someone from just standing far behind the defense to be all alone with the goaltender.

The other reason is to help the defending team. If you’re stuck in your own zone and getting dominated, you just need to get the puck past the blue line to force the attacking team to exit the zone before they can attack again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its offsides. In basketball all the players without the ball run down the court to the scoring area. The guard with the ball is the last player into the offensive zone.

The power play in hockey runs very much like basketball with the player at the top moving the puck and controlling the play

Reactions: Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Its offsides. In basketball all the players without the ball run down the court to the scoring area. The guard with the ball is the last player into the offensive zone.

The power play in hockey runs very much like basketball with the player at the top moving the puck and controlling the play
Exactly. It’s also why we use the term “quarterbacking” the power play. Just like a QB in football. Not really effective or safe 5 on 5 though.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Offsides are lighter than before you couldn't pass two lines up. Before that you couldn't pass forward at all.

But its so people don't Cherrypick

You would just have your best forward sitting in the otherzone with their best dman also there waiting for the puck

I think cherry picking wouldn't be an issue, if you won't gain possession if you are outnumbered on D.

But you are right, it's a product of the conservative, risk adverse mindset that hockey has. I think some of it is to prevent player injuries but most of it is because they never want to change the game, only slightly improve it. Getting rid of icing is sacrilegious because we've always just icing-ed.

Reactions: Korg

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think cherry picking wouldn't be an issue, if you won't gain possession if you are outnumbered on D.

But you are right, it's a product of the conservative, risk adverse mindset that hockey has. I think some of it is to prevent player injuries but most of it is because they never want to change the game, only slightly improve it. Getting rid of icing is sacrilegious because we've always just icing-ed.

I agree. It probably made sense at the time it was instituted, but I think the game is played at a speed now that scrapping the offside rule would probably make it more entertaining. Maybe on the powerplay it would be an issue, but at 5v5 I think it would just lead to more rush chances.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad