Why do "experts" always undervalue the Habs in their offseason predictions?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think teams like Tampa or Toronto are seen to have a higher upside, and if everything clicks...they could do serious damage in the playoffs. With Montreal, even if everything clicks they don't seem like a serious threat.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think teams like Tampa or Toronto are seen to have a higher upside, and if everything clicks...they could do serious damage in the playoffs. With Montreal, even if everything clicks they don't seem like a serious threat.

Playoff success seems like an incredible mountain to climb but in reality comes down to 1) Health, 2) hot goaltending, and 3) match ups. Which is why any team that gets in should be taken seriously especially if they come in hot and also why heavy 'favourites' shouldn't be taken too seriously either.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
No one is discrediting them for "getting it done" throughout these years. The fact is, if you held a gun to my head; I'd have a hard time taking them. On paper the forward group has been questionable.... No doubting the D and G over that time; when push comes to shove they were coached properly and won games

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Out of the 13 non-Atlantic teams that had +90 pts last year, the Habs only won the season series against 2 teams, Predators and Rangers (both teams were better in the playoffs though).

They match up well against their own division which is why they do so well in the Atlantic. Also they generally handle the basement teams.

Both things have to hold true next season as well otherwise they miss the playoffs even with Price healthy.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Out of the 13 non-Atlantic teams that had +90 pts last year, the Habs only won the season series against 2 teams, Predators and Rangers (both teams were better in the playoffs though).

So...the teams they play 2 or 3 games against? Not much of a sample size. How many did they draw against?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You have an elite goalie but the simple fact is the teams placed ahead of you had more injuries. Tampa on paper was better but they were crippled by injuries.

Why are you shocked people put Tampa ahead? Stamkos was injured when Price is injured you're just as bad.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think Carey Price is in part why they aren't predicted to finish higher. Goalies and their impact has been downplayed the last decade or so. To an extent that's justified league wide but Price bucks the trend so he bucks the trendy analysis.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
So...the teams they play 2 or 3 games against? Not much of a sample size. How many did they draw against?

Not many but let me say what he said another way. If you excluded 4 teams over 90 pts which they did good against they werent good against 90+pts teams last year...

You cant hold against Montreal their 11-3-3 record against 90+pts teams in the Atlantic, those were over 90 pts just like the other 13.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Because they did it 3 times in the past 5 years with the same core? (Except Weber has replaced Subban and Drouin has replaced one year of Radulov).

The Habs leading the division rests on something improbable. Price would have to perform at an MVP level again, considering how much TB and Toronto improved compared to the Habs.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Price is healthy they might win their divison. Price is injured they arent even coming close to the play offs. Thats a huge swing. When the Habs have more then 1 threat on the ice they will be ranked higher.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Simple answer is, that the Canadiens only go as far as Carey Price, takes them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->