Why do England suck?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
And for sure nations like Hungary reached a level of quality that England never had, and if they had a World Cup at home they would have won and England would have zero title if not at home. Yugoslavia made 2 finals (one more than England) so really they are the laughing stock.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
We know we suck. The question was why and how to fix it. I'm glad most people here answered genuinely, it's impossible to ask this on an English board.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
We know we suck. The question was why and how to fix it. I'm glad most people here answered genuinely, it's impossible to ask this on an English board.

The key would be for the people in charge to realize and admit to themselves that there is a problem and what they are doing is not working. It's what led to the Belgium revolution on how they were developing their players. Germany came to the same realization as well and changed the way they did things.

But ya, if the FA keeps deluding themselves that this all a bunch of 'Bollocks', that they were only unlucky (Penalties) or that they have plenty of great young talent (Sterling, Wilshere, etc. :shakehead) well, the wheel will keep on turning.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
A draw vs. weak Russia a lucky win vs. Wales an incredibly boring 0-0 draw vs. lowly Slovakia and then a 1-2 lost to Iceland...0 world class player on the team, what more do you want to wake up, failing to qualify for a major tournament again?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
A draw vs. weak Russia a lucky win vs. Wales an incredibly boring 0-0 draw vs. lowly Slovakia and then a 1-2 lost to Iceland...0 world class player on the team, what more do you want to wake up, failing to qualify for a major tournament again?

Just have a re-read of this thread. It's denial galore. The talent is there, the issue was the coach, this is the best generation of English players in a ages, blablabla.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England don't suck. They're just not very good. They usually achieve about what they have the talent and structure to achieve.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The last time England had a real world class player or a potential world class player was Owen in the early 00's... This team was full of average to good players not more.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If you take out tournaments on home soil England would rank about #16 all time in Europe...

They suck if we take into account how the sport is popular in England...

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The last time England had a real world class player or a potential world class player was Owen in the early 00's... This team was full of average to good players not more.

Paul Scholes was world class, Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell were world class center-backs and Ashely Cole was world class as well.

The English team in that time frame (1998-2002) was actually not bad. Not good enough to win anything mind you but definitely better than the piss pot they have right now.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I agree for Scholes Ferdinand Campbell yes but in that time frame they lost twice to Romania, who had a very good team mind you. And Portugal France Holland just to name a few were miles and miles ahead. Holland and France in those years could have won against almost anyone with their B teams...

The real question is : has England ever been that bad? For me the last few years and right now is the worst they've ever been since I follow.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Well we failed to qualify for Euro 2008, losing 3-2 at home to Croatia (the Wally with the brolly game). Also failed to qualify for USA 94.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

This "you don't have a world class player, what do you expect?" argument is so weak.

How many teams at the Euro have world class players? If you think most teams, then world class doesn't mean anything anymore.

In the end, will a team with world class player(s) win it? Yes, most likely.

But shoudl all other teams just pack it up and go home? Did Greece have WC players in 04? Does Iceland now?

Yes individual talent is a huge deal, but let's not pretend this is 5 a-side at the park among buddies. There is much more that goes into this than raw talent.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Owen was great in his prime, but he was basically a one dimensional goal scorer.

In terms of achievement at international level I would have to go with Ashley Cole. The guy was a complete and utter **** off the pitch, but give him credit, he was usually England's best player at every tournament.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
England would sooner lose to Iceland every week than have a German in charge. Klinsmann has no chance.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I feel like I should add my $00.2 seeing as I see the "efforts" of the FA at the lower level and what they really try and do to develop players, which is little. I dare say some would be interested to see a view from someone who is a fan of a lower league team when they get shafted by the FA regularly.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He isn't, but he's someone who could change the overall setup - something that is needed maybe even more for long term success.

All he does is talk. I think England have gotten the media coverage down, don't need more.

He's not a good manager, not a good TD. Not sure how he would help.

He has not improved the US at all.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
When was the last time England had a manager that wasn't a walking joke????

Sven-Göran Eriksson and Fabio Capello were both excellent managers.

The problems with England are much, much deeper than just the manager and the routine scapegoating of whoever is in charge is nothing but a distraction from the real issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad