OT: Why different tone when dealing with other teams fans?

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I was thinking about something the other day while I was browsing the forums. There is a lot of bickering between fellow Pens fans. I am sure every fan base is like that, but I have also realized when fans deal with other teams fans (as long as they are not trolls), they seem to be a bit more genial and open to friendly conversation. I have even seen it when dealing with Caps and Flyers fans. Do you feel that as a Pens fan, you are an ambassador of your team?

I remember one time I was at a Pens - Canes game (in Carolina) and this drunk Pens fan stands up and starts being a jerk to all the Canes fans around. I honestly felt embarrassed. I think all surrounding Pens fans were also. We ended up having to put the dude in his place, and felt we had to apologize for his actions.

It may be a dumb question, but it is something I've wondered.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If the question is "are fans ambassadors for their favorite sports team," the answer is "no." City? Maybe in a vague, minority sense. Team? Absolutely not.

I will add that I cannot imagine how you could possibly have come to the conclusion that Capitals fans are more hostile to Capitals fans than they are to outsiders.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it’s just so we can act superior after the fact, we aren’t like those obnoxious caps fans

Reactions: HandshakeLin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think there should be a license for trash talking where you have to throw down with a bunch of old dudes from Harlem in a game of the dozens. Bad trash talk is embarrassing for everyone, great trash talk is hilarious.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I was thinking about something the other day while I was browsing the forums. There is a lot of bickering between fellow Pens fans. I am sure every fan base is like that, but I have also realized when fans deal with other teams fans (as long as they are not trolls), they seem to be a bit more genial and open to friendly conversation. I have even seen it when dealing with Caps and Flyers fans. Do you feel that as a Pens fan, you are an ambassador of your team?

I remember one time I was at a Pens - Canes game (in Carolina) and this drunk Pens fan stands up and starts being a jerk to all the Canes fans around. I honestly felt embarrassed. I think all surrounding Pens fans were also. We ended up having to put the dude in his place, and felt we had to apologize for his actions.

That Drunk fan was me, and I took care of all of the whiny and complaining "Pens fans" in the parking lot next to the cow pasture after the game. Then I had Pancakes.... pancakes.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Do you mean when other teams' fans come here to talk? Because they sort of have to come with a measure of respect or they'll automatically get flagged and vice-versa. Hell, some boards (especially one in our division) won't even let a fan of another team post without an automatic infraction, no matter how respectful your post is.

If you want to see a real cesspool, just browse about 90% of the conversation that takes place on the main boards.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think some of it is that we seem to get false-flagged a bit on the mainboards by people who start obnoxious Pens threads and it comes back to reflect on the rest of us.

And I'm enough of an embarrassment even without that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->