Why didn't we sign Jagr???

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Because every year he plays with Plekanec in some form of tournament (this year, Olympics) and begins to stir up rumours about how he would love to play for the Habs. This, of course, is used simply to increase his value and get as much money as he can from an NHL team, because all Jagr cares about is the money at this point.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I assume he wanted to maintain our speed identity but it was a bad choice.

And so we go for Briere?...Wasn't aware DB was a speedster.

Because every year he plays with Plekanec in some form of tournament (this year, Olympics) and begins to stir up rumours about how he would love to play for the Habs. This, of course, is used simply to increase his value and get as much money as he can from an NHL team, because all Jagr cares about is the money at this point.

Right, because a player that only cares about cash will usually go through the trouble of remaining in shape to the point where he can still score 16pts in 20gp at the age of 41.

If you're 40+ and still playing in the NHL, I think people can fairly drop the ''playing for money'' theory.

Habsterix*

Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.
Really? Based on what exactly?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Considering how he only signs affordable one year deals, I'm not too sure if this is really the case.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

More so than Jagr. I like Jagr but he's obviously not a speedster but he's got strong puck control and great lower body strength. I would've taken him easy but we chose briere.

My first choice of summer was lecavalier tbh.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Duh. ****** and Caracher - Jagr has none. NONE!

Mynameismark*

We didnt sign him because he's too big for this team.

Then management saw that he had way too much skill and talent, so they were determined not to go with him. Talent is something this team doesnt need or want any part of. Look at Subban..."kid, you've got too much skill, try to play like somebody else and dont flash any of that alright?"

Also, Jags doesnt speak french. The french media and certain fans need that for some dumb reason.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa

Right, because a player that only cares about cash will usually go through the trouble of remaining in shape to the point where he can still score 16pts in 20gp at the age of 41.

If you're 40+ and still playing in the NHL, I think people can fairly drop the ''playing for money'' theory.

Considering how he only signs affordable one year deals, I'm not too sure if this is really the case.

It's two years in a row Jagr and Plekanec play together outside of the NHL, and Jagr starts talking about how he would love to Montreal. He asks for 1-2 years and a large amount of money, and we never sign him. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it again this year. Last year he was asking for 2 years at 5 mill each, if my memory serves me.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.

Do you have a source for that? :huh:

I have seen many people on here express how they did not want him, myself included.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I didn't want Jagr or Briere. Sad that we would even be down to choosing between such players, or lamenting the lack of signing one. :(

They are depth players, bringing offense and experience and doesn't cost anything except money (I'm speaking more about Jagr). For a team that again, is struggling to score, we could use a player like Jagr... 16 pts in 20 games, he'd be our productive forward.

Plekanec-Jagr looks way better than Plekanec-Gionta or Plekanec-Briere don't you think.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
We didn't sign him because we offered 3rd line money for 1st line production.

Then we gave Briere 1st-2nd line money for 4th line production.

Then we let Ryder walk after being one of leading scorers and he signs for 2nd line money.

Go figure.

However, I disagree with OP saying fans wanted him. On this board, both Ryder and Jagr were considered washed up overpriced commodities.

Suddenly, people realize that we are weak on both wings and in dire need of snipers but that was evident before the season started.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
They are depth players, bringing offense and experience and doesn't cost anything except money (I'm speaking more about Jagr). For a team that again, is struggling to score, we could use a player like Jagr... 16 pts in 20 games, he'd be our productive forward.

Plekanec-Jagr looks way better than Plekanec-Gionta or Plekanec-Briere don't you think.
I'm just not impressed with Jagr. He looks like a pretty float-y soft source of offense to me, and his point totals seem to me to be mostly a testament of how awful NJ is. I think the Habs using Plekanec in tough matchups makes Gionta a reasonable linemate for Plekanec, and I don't see Jagr fitting on such a line at all.

That said, I'd still rather have Jagr on the team than Briere. I just wish we had a good enough lineup that we didn't have to resort to either of them as expensive over-the-hill scrap heap Plan B signing options.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Honestly, if there was any interest from Jagr I don't see why we didn't sign him to play with Plek. Every single time those two played together they were dynamite... but nooooooo we had to sign the little french kid from Gatineau to please the peanut gallery.

This ****ing city is a gong show. (and for the record I'm french and I don't give a **** about that issue)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad