Why didn't the Avs draft Fucale

member 116861

We already have some good goalie prospects, it would have been dumb to spend a high 2nd round pick on another one.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
We already have Varlamov, who isn't exactly old, as well as a few young goalie prospects. Drafting another goalie that high would have been unnecessary. We are more than happy with Bigras.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What I don't get is why they didn't draft Erne.

We drafted for need at 32. We took a goalie in the third round.

VilleEmardHabs

Mar 27, 2013
Ville-Emard
Sorry but I don't know the Avs goalie prospects but could Zack Fucale become a franchise goalie. Craig Button stated that Fucale was the best 16-17 year old he ever saw in his life. And with Roy as coach it just makes a perfect fit. And also while watching the draft Patrick Roy looked alittle sad or down when the Avs selected Chris Bigras . It looked like he really wanted Fucale.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

No, they drafted for BPA. If the Avs passed on Erne, with his junior coach running the show here, that probably says a lot about how Roy feels about him.

I know that Roy wasnt always happy with Adam Erne, back with the Ramparts, he went publicly a few times in the Medias . I think it was about Erne's work ethic .

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sorry but I don't know the Avs goalie prospects but could Zack Fucale become a franchise goalie. Craig Button stated that Fucale was the best 16-17 year old he ever saw in his life. And with Roy as coach it just makes a perfect fit. And also while watching the draft Patrick Roy looked alittle sad or down when the Avs selected Chris Bigras . It looked like he really wanted Fucale.

Not down playing Fucale at all, Button (who I respect) is freakin obsessed with him a little too much. BUT there basically is no room for him in our system and as you said you don't know anything about our goalers here,

Varlamov: NHL proven, just needs to work on consistency
Pickard: NHL potential
Aittokallio: NHL potential
Patterson: NHL potential
Millian: AHL goaler
Martin: NHL potential

I am not saying all these goalers will come into the NHL and become Lundqvist 2.0s, but they all have progressed quite nicely throughout their early semi-pro and junior careers that majority of them do have NHL potential, if they get there is another question. The only point we would draft Fucale is to progress him into an all-star goaler and trade him for a top 2 defenseman, which would take 4-5+ years.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

i believe it's been said that Bigras was #14 on our board and seen as a 1st rounder by the Avs scouts. that's probably why, Erne probably wasn't as highly ranked.
they went BPA.

but to answer the original poster's question.
he probably wasn't ranked as highly as others on the board and we didn't need a goalie that high(though i wanted it to happen)

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

Weird... It looked like he really wanted Gustav Olofsson to me

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
I know we had bigras rated highly but I could have sworn I heard pracey say that need was a factor at 32.

The Avs drafted BPA but when they had more than one player who projected about the same, they went by need. Bigras was a top D on many teams lists and even Pronger spoke up about the Avs getting a steal.

VilleEmardHabs

Mar 27, 2013
Ville-Emard
As a Habs fan I happy for you guys that you landed Patrick Roy as head coach.
I really respected Roy when he was with the Canadians.He will turn the Avs into a winner. But I just think they made a huge mistake passing on Zack Fucale.
I see it as the Avs Loss will become the Habs gain and I'm more than thrilled we dafted Zackery Fucale.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pracey all but said they drafted for need and had a plan to take all defenseman after the 1st. Based on Patricks talks of how Chicago was able to rebuild on the fly and stay competitive with draft picks replacing guys they had to let go, I'm guessing this was mostly his idea, and also that next year they'll mostly take forwards.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Honestly Spencer Martin was an excellent pick. Could have gone with a player who was dropping in the 3rd round but Martin is a goalie who if he was on a team better coached than the Steelheads this season, could have been ranked almost if not higher than Fucale. He has the same raw potential minus a few flaws like rebound control.

It's really about spreading risks and if you have a potential NHL goalie in the 3rd round then why would you take him in the 2nd when you have other needs like defence?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
As a Habs fan I happy for you guys that you landed Patrick Roy as head coach.
I really respected Roy when he was with the Canadians.He will turn the Avs into a winner. But I just think they made a huge mistake passing on Zack Fucale.
I see it as the Avs Loss will become the Habs gain and I'm more than thrilled we dafted Zackery Fucale.

i don't see it as a loss at all because with our goaltending depth in terms or prospects, fucale would have had to wait a long time to get his shot with our nhl team , while bigras might be able to push for a spot in a years time.

i think it's pretty telling that the flames or jackets didn't pick him while they had 3 first round picks that he's too raw to hope on a whim that he may become that franchise goalie. the flames seemingly also don't have that " franchise type goalie" all though gillies and brossiot might amount to something.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe the Avs had Bigras ranked higher, I think it was Pracey who said they had him rated as a mid-1st round pick

Plus I can see Roy seeing a lot of Vlasic, who he coached, in the way Bigras uses his skating, positioning, stick and instincts to just simply break up the play and move the the puck.

So between pracey rating the kid really high and Roy being reminded of one of the best dmen he's ever coached, would make sense for there to have been a big pro-Bigras sentiment in the war room.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp over and over again about how the Avs have terrible defense blah blah so I don't know why it would seem like a question at all why the Avs took defense with their second pick especially after drafting MacKinnon. I can't imagine what the reaction and overall sentiment would have been if the Avs waited until the 3rd round or later to address the defense.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp over and over again about how the Avs have terrible defense blah blah so I don't know why it would seem like a question at all why the Avs took defense with their second pick especially after drafting MacKinnon. I can't imagine what the reaction and overall sentiment would have been if the Avs waited until the 3rd round or later to address the defense.

nuclear winter

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly I would have been pissed if the Avs drafted Fucale at #32.

We already have a lot of really good Goalie prospects. Pickard and Aittokallio both have legit #1G potential. And Varly is already a starter in the NHL and is still quite young. On top of that we have Patterson and Millan who also have potential.

If Fucale was still there when we picked again at #63 then yea I would have been fine with that pick. But at #32 there were still some solid forwards available, and some solid Dmen available.

After reading about Bigras, I am very happy with that pick and much rather him over Fucale. I don't think Fucale will amount to a whole lot. I didn't find his numbers all that impressive in the Q and he was playing on a ridiculously stacked team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I am not sold on Fucale nearly as much as other people. He will likely be a solid goaltender in the future, but I don't see the elite talent that other people tend to see. I'm of the opinion that Jarry will be the best goalie out of this draft and it won't be that close.

When it comes the #32 pick though Bigras >> Fucale. In fact there are a number of players that were taken after Fucale that I would have drafted before him.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
It's a bit misleading to compare numbers across leagues without placing them in proper context. The Q is a much higher-scoring league than the O, the Dub, or the NHL. The best save percentage in the Q this year was .913. In the OHL, that would've been good for 7th. In the Dub, it would've barely cracked the top 10. In the NHL, not even top 20.

Fucale's numbers may not look good in an NHL context, but his GAA this year was the best single-season GAA in Mooseheads history, toppling J-S Giguere's record. His save percentage was good enough for 3rd in the league.

Also, the Mooseheads were stacked offensively, not defensively. Their d-core was good and didn't give up very many chances, but the ones they did give up were almost always high-quality. When you're beating up on teams by 4 or 5 goals, well, you're not exactly playing them tightly. I'm a Mooseheads fan and saw a lot of them this year, and it was not at all uncommon for them to give up multiple odd-man rushes in a game.

Lastly: Fucale was a starter most of last year and all of this year, as a 16 and 17 year old. Most kids his age are backups that aren't playing the best teams in their league. He's already played 151 games in Major Junior. Jarry's played 42; Comrie's played 68.

Regardless, neither the Avs nor the Flames needed him; they're both pretty well-stacked with goalie prospects. Bigras was undoubtedly the BPA for the Avs. I'm not at all surprised they didn't pick Erne; Roy once suspended him and Duclair for attitude problems. I don't think there's any love lost there.

Fucale will be fine in Montreal. For prospects, stats matter much less than intelligence, coachability, poise, maturity, work ethic, etc. He has all of those qualities in spades.

Besides, the Avs already have 3 former Mooseheads on their team. Any more and a team name change might be in order :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->