Why didn't Denis Savard ever play in the Canada Cup?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Dude was amazing. What was up?

I'm not sure for the exact reason, but I do recall a game involving the Hawks and oilers in the 80s where Savard got in a shouting match with sather. Savard ended up making an obscene gesture with his stick towards sather.

Sather was involved with team Canada in those days so while I'm not exactly sure why Savard didn't make it, it does seem that the decision caused some friction.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not sure for the exact reason, but I do recall a game involving the Hawks and oilers in the 80s where Savard got in a shouting match with sather. Savard ended up making an obscene gesture with his stick towards sather.

Sather was involved with team Canada in those days so while I'm not exactly sure why Savard didn't make it, it does seem that the decision caused some friction.

There were better centremen.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
There were better centremen.

It's the most logical explanation. I never saw savard in his prime, but he seemed like a living highlight reel offensively. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are the most rounded player.

Team Canada has always had really good players miss the team. It still happens today, and savard fell into that group in the 80s.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Same reason Steve Yzerman didn't play until the second half of his career. Gretzky and Messier were locks as the top 2, then they wanted better rounded players to play 3rd/4th line or wing. For whatever reason, Hawerchuk was trusted more to convert to wing than Savard or Yzerman

Last edited:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, the Sather-Savard jousting was mainly in the 1985 playoffs, which is a year after Canada Cup '84. (However, the Hawks did get swept by Edmonton in '83.)

Pure skill through four-lines wasn't necessarily sought in those days. Coaches wanted some grinders and some checkers. Since Savard clearly wasn't as good as Gretzky (or Mario later), and since he was small to boot, he didn't quite make it, I guess.

The real crazy omission was Yzerman in '87 and '91.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
and yet ironically, peter stastny played for team canada once

842.jpg

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Dude was amazing. What was up?

Savard was cut in 1984 and didn't make the final roster.
He played in 5 pre-tournament games, having 3 assists.

15/8 USA 4-5 - Bellows (Savard, Gretzky) (PP)
20/8 USA 4-1 - Wilson (Savard, Bre. Sutter)
23/8 USA 2-2 - Tonelli (Wilson, Savard)

Aside from Savard the following players were cut in 1984:

J.Patrick
A.Stastny
Vaive
Secord
S.Stevens
Bri.Sutter
S.Turgeon
Marois

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Same reason Steve Yzerman didn't play until the second half of his career. Gretzky and Messier were locks as the top 2, then they wanted better rounded players to play 3rd/4th line or wing. For whatever reason, Hawerchuk was trusted more to convert to wing than Savard or Yzerman

Why was Messier a lock? Just looking at stats it seems that Savard is the superior player. Savard could take care of the 2C and Messier doing his work on 3C or 4C.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why was Messier a lock? Just looking at stats it seems that Savard is the superior player. Savard could take care of the 2C and Messier doing his work on 3C or 4C.

New to the whole hockey thing or just pulling our leg?

Can't determine the superior player by stats alone. Though it seems understandable by the way many awards are handed out now.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Hawerchuk was the superior player at the time. Look at his totals from 1984-88. Especially when you consider he had little help in the way of talented linemates. If you ever watch the Canada Cup 87' Hawerchuk was a big reason the Canadians came through and won the tournament. It was the pinnacle of his career.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

Yzerman was on that 1984 Canada Cup team

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He needs to pass Hawerchuk first.

What makes Hawerchuk better than Savard?

New to the whole hockey thing or just pulling our leg?

Can't determine the superior player by stats alone. Though it seems understandable by the way many awards are handed out now.

Savard was the superior player for offence and should have the 2C where he would thrive. Messier being more all-round and less skilled would be a better fit as 3C or 4C.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
When Trottier elected not to play in 84, that should have been Savards spot, not Stastnys. I really liked Stastny, but just stupid he was able to play for Canada in that Tournament ahead of some really good Canadian players, especially Savard, Dionne and Federko.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What makes Hawerchuk better than Savard?

Savard was the superior player for offence and should have the 2C where he would thrive. Messier being more all-round and less skilled would be a better fit as 3C or 4C.

There wasn't a single Canada Cup year that Savard was coming off a better offensive season than Messier.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Savard was the superior player for offence...
During their career overlap:

Messier: 1519 PTS
Savard: 1338 PTS

Messier: 1.27 PPG
Savard: 1.12 PPG

Even in the 80s alone, they're nearly identical in production (Savard 1.38; Messier 1.30) and remember that Messier played most of that decade as the 2nd-line winger / 2nd-center.

Then, factor in physical play and intangibles, and Messier destroys Savard in every conceivable way.

(Savard was damn fun to watch, though -- wish we had more players like him now.)

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
During their career overlap:

Messier: 1519 PTS
Savard: 1338 PTS

Messier: 1.27 PPG
Savard: 1.12 PPG

Even in the 80s alone, they're nearly identical in production (Savard 1.38; Messier 1.30) and remember that Messier played most of that decade as the 2nd-line winger / 2nd-center.

Then, factor in physical play and intangibles, and Messier destroys Savard in every conceivable way.

(Savard was damn fun to watch, though -- wish we had more players like him now.)

oh i see...

but i still think Savard would fit better as a 2C, he was never a guy for bottom 6. Messier on the other hand could do a nice job as 3C due to his allround-skills.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
When Trottier elected not to play in 84, that should have been Savards spot, not Stastnys. I really liked Stastny, but just stupid he was able to play for Canada in that Tournament ahead of some really good Canadian players, especially Savard, Dionne and Federko.

Trots did play, just not for Canada...

33_f_zoom.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
oh i see...

but i still think Savard would fit better as a 2C, he was never a guy for bottom 6. Messier on the other hand could do a nice job as 3C due to his allround-skills.

... what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad